Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How to tell if you have the old Hercules DJ Console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How to tell if you have the old Hercules Console

Launch the hercules systray icon at the bottom right of your screen (green alien). With the mixer open, Click on the Hercules logo in the bottom middle of the window. Look for...

Console version
Package Version
Bulk Status

If you have a Bulk Status that is not 3 or greater, you have the old old Hercules Console. The old models had some problems as you may have noticed from other posts. The controller must be connected to see the the status. If you read 0 the controller is not connected

It is amazing I ordered my unit just over a week ago from music123.com and still have the old version!

:-(
WirelessDJ

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 1:40 pm
robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mine is bulk version 2 apparently, but I've not really had any major problems since I sent it back to Hercules for the jog wheel fix shortly after I got it. I guess quality seems quite variable amongst the units?

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 4:52 pm
You have version 2 and it was already sent back? hmmm
that is strange. maybe the tech was mistaken? hercules is unable to tell the status from the serial number. only way to tell is to plug it in. Try explaining that to a retailer... "listen, I want to buy this but I have to install it first, and run the program to see if it is the new version without problems the jog wheels"

SO I gave up with waiting on hercules and contacted music 123, they can ship me another DJ console (advanced replacement).

Hopefully the new one will have better jog wheels.

Can you Describe the problems you had with the wheel?

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 12:32 am
I got mine just shy of a year ago. The jog wheel problem was the "classic" problem - every now and then a jog wheel would start chucking out data, and the deck that corresponded to that jog wheel would start moving, as if you were spinning the wheel.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 10:22 am
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I returned my console to Hercules as well and got Bulk status 2. Didnt have any of those 'old' problems since!

Posted Thu 18 Nov 04 @ 11:13 pm
i have been through two controllers

both of them from music123
both of them bulk status 2
both of them jog wheels are not too accurate
both of them are going back for refund

I just ordered my THIRD Hercules DJConsole from j&R music world. j&R assures me that the ones they have, came in a few days ago. I am praying they are bulk status 3 and the jog wheels are stable/accurate

I will let you know next week what the deal is.

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 12:39 am
Have you re-thought this now, in light of your new discovery? It is definitely worth checking what the jog wheels are doing using the console mapper and notepad as you may find there is nothing wrong with them.

With the "supersensitive" issue (the original problem from about a year ago) you could leave notepad running and every now and then you'd get a false "keypress" string from one of the wheels.

The only problem I have these days is when you press a button and it appears to get stuck. Again, you can clearly see this with the console mapper. I wonder if VDJ has some kind of trap to ignore those repeated values?

Posted Fri 19 Nov 04 @ 3:58 pm
Does anyone have Bulk Status greater than 3 or is Hercules just making this sh|t up?

Posted Sat 20 Nov 04 @ 1:17 am
what can I say but, I received my 3rd hercules dj console today

after ordering two from Music 123
and one from J&R Music world
I am disappointed

The first two had bulk status 2 and I noted that the jog wheels weren't too accurate. Seemed much worse when the decks are playing. When paused it seems better. Not sure if VDJ is at fault or not

Anyway, The third one I received from J&R was bulk status 1
even older than than the two from music123! when I loaded VDJ, it found the controller

It seemed a bit more accurate! but wait, I stopped the track, and took my finger off the wheel, for no reason VDJ just starts spinning backwards ! the wheel went totally nutz.

Then, at one point I was spinning the wheel forward and VDJ was going backwards! what he F!?

To make things worse, bulk status 1 when you press on the wheel, it SCRAPES against the plastic

here is my observations:

bulk status 1 - COMPLETELY UNSTABLE, But seemed have slightly more accurate wheel.
bulk status 2 - Stable wheel. but the wheels don't seem too accurate (again this could be
bulk status 3 - is non-existant. supposed to fix all problems. but I can't get a hold of a unit to test, I am having doubts if this actually exists. I think hercules has a problem they do not want to admit.

I am not mailing my controller back to Canada, have to pay shipping just to find out that they will not send me the newest version

WirelessDJ

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 3:37 am
Hmm, your latest one does indeed sound like the original "sensitive jog wheels" problem. I am not sure the scraping is due to the version - my version 2 scrapes on the left wheel but my V1 didn't (from what I remember).

Someone should compile a full list of known problems so Hercules (who read this forum) can provide comment.

The ones I know of (as of bulk status 2):

* Buttons often "stick" and give out data as if they are being pressed continuously

* Microphone input seems very low

* Sound output seems low

* ASIO support seems a bit flaky

But I'd reiterate that I love my DJ console!

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 11:11 am
Just a follow up. Another way to spot the sticking buttons is:

* Set the console to DJ mode
* Select midi input as "DJ Console Buttons
* Launch a midi viewer ( I use Midi OX )
* Press some buttons and what what happens - you'll see often the buttons don't appear to work at all, and often appear to stick down

This is quite a fundamental problem with the buttons I think.

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 11:33 am
Another thing I noticed is that the bulk status 1 controller had loose play/cue buttons, when you pressed down on them, it felt like the PCBoard was moving underneath

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 1:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)