Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone with TIMECODE CD's ? PROBLEMS...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Virtual DJ 2.05
2 Pioneers cdj-100's
Maya 44 usb
Audio cd's with the timecode.
--------
After the calibration, this setup worked, i got 100% timecode
quality, input levels adjusted right, RIAA soft preamp unchecked as it should, cd mode.
--------
BUT there is a bad behaviour with the cue point.
I can set a cue and play it with the pioneers like normal.
But there is an offset. Cue point is moved about 300-500 ms

- Very very bad !

I noticed that this happens if i press play, for short time 1-2 seconds then cue (to go to the cue point) and play again.
If i leave the deck to play more time, and go back to cue,
then the cue point is correct.
Pressing the cue button with the rhythm to trigger the sound like a sampler always gives this offset.

Is this a bug ?
-----------

Another problem:
If the pitch sliders on the cd players are not 0%
lets say +2%, then if i press sync (right click on the beatlock
button) to match the bpm, the +2% value is taken into
acount from the software, in a wrong way.
This gives a wrong bpm match.

Example:
A 100bpm song on vdj deck 1, and a 104 bpm song on deck 2.
If the pitch sliders on the hardware decks is 0% on both,
and i press sync on the left vdj deck, the "virtual" pitch slider goes to +4% and bpm changed to 104.
- This is right.
But if the "hardware" pitch slider is +2% before i press sync,
then, when i press sync, the left deck's "virtual" pitch slider goes to (+4)+(+2)=+6 %, and this gives a wrong 106 bpm
on deck 1. While deck 2 is only 104 bpm.
I think that the software must subtract the +2% value
from the timecode, to calculate the right bpm match when sync.

Thanx in advance, i hope for a fix.
P.S. sorry for my bad english :)

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 4:12 am
I'm about to try timecode cd's too... With Pioneer 1000's
Just need the maya card first.

Dont know about the cue thing, but will try myself..
If it is a bug, I hope it will be ironed out..

BUT, about the pitch..
I would think that if you where using timecode cd, some of the software buttons/sliders where not to be used (or should actually be disabled or there could be a timecode skin without the features?). Because the whole idea is that you are gonna use hardware pitch when using timecode, by using buttons on your hardware to controll the software...

The other way around would cause strange things I guess... Like using sync button or pitch in software.
Guess the whole idea with timecode is to play more like "old time" dj's.. by using cd's, timecode cd's, to controll the software, and not the other way around..

but I havent tested it yet myself... so just a few thoughts

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 2:11 pm
apopsis, explain what you mean by calibration process. I have never been able to get 100% using Timecode CD's. I have the same equipment as you expect I'm using CDJ' 800's.

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 10:21 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Dj in Norway, thanks for the response...
The cue problem, (the "offset"), make the use of start/cue buttons impossible for real work.
(btw. mixvibes dvs, is very accurate from this aspect, same setup)

About the "sync", yeah... i know what you mean...
While i'm "old school" dj too... and never use :
beatlock or other automation, i love this sync (auto bpm) function. (mapped it in "numlock" key btw.)
Read my post`again, it is just about wrong calculation, and i'm sure it can be easily fixed.
Virtual dj knows how the timecode is pitched by the cd player
and display it correct.
It is also correct when someone uses both pitch sliders
(screen and hardware) If the screen slider is at +2, and you change the cd player by another +2, vdj display a correct +4.
Just the autobpm (sync) function is wrong calculated.

thanks anyway, i hope the developers will read this.

------------

Dj reggieward,
I never had problem to get 100% signal, and i tested to
3 systems.
By calibration i just mean to adjust the input levels at the maya mixer, mute monitor 1+2, 3+4 (maya mixer again)
and setup the vdj for timecode. I own mixvibes dvs too, and
that program has a "calibration" button to automate this task.
Cd signal is very high compared to turntables, be sure you
adjust the input levels very very low in maya mixer.
The red and green -timecode- waveforms must not clipping.
about 75% as you can read here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 3:21 am
Thanks, for your reply. I've pretty much done all of that, and still I can't get 100% using CD's. However I have no problem getting 100% using Time Coded Wax

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 7:30 am
paisanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hey guys,
Got my new maya card in and tried to hook up the new set of Denon cd's but I'm having some issues.
1- No matter what i do I can't get higher than 85% quality
2- If I press pause on the cd player VDJ takes off like crazy spinning the song at warp speed
3- pitch sliders will only change pitch +/- .5% even if cd pitch is all the way at 10%
4- If I stop the deck the waveform will start drifting around in either direction.
5- Sound Quality is crap!! theres all this hissing and popping that Ive never had before using VDJ.

I've tried all of the suggestions that I could find by doing searches but havent had any luck:(

My system set up is:
Emachine Laptop , Athlon amd 1.8GHZ 64 bit processor
512MB Ram
(2) Denon S5000 CD Decks
Behringer VMX 700 Mixer
Maya 4 USB Soundcard with driver 2.5.5 downloaded

Posted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 3:37 am
I was able to get a 100% time code by uninstalling and reinstalling the maya to a different com port but now if I move my pitch sliders even just a little the quality drops to 80%. all of my other problems are still there and im completely out of ideas.

anyone?

Posted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 11:03 am
ok ive pretty much got the card dialed in, Theres no more popping noise, and the waveform doesnt drift if the deck is stopped or take off runnning if I press pause. The cue buttons are working but I still have the problem if I move the pitch sliders my time code drops to 80% +/- 10%, and they arent registering in the program.

Posted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 4:16 pm
PAISAN!!! HELP!! I'm going through ALL the same problems you were having, with the waveform drifting, taking off at warp Speed...and such. What exactly did you do to fix all this??? I've got a gig in 6 hours...so PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks man

Posted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 11:26 pm
the drifting and pause problem were fixed by increasing the silence slider. I think it had to do with background noise and VDj losing it's referance when the CD stopped spinning and it used that noise instead.
The pitch problem was caused by the key shift on my denons screwing up the time stretch in VDJ. I shut that off and my pitch started working and registering fine in VDJ
My noise problems were fixed by putting asio mode in 24 bit and leaving the maya control panel running in the backround.
What other problems are you having?
Whatever I can do to help....

Posted Fri 01 Apr 05 @ 12:09 am
Hey everybody....im new and just got my equipment....I have 1 denon 3000 a 2 channel mixer and a maya 44 usb....for my comp I have a athlon 3000+ with 512 mb ram. I have used vdj with the hercules with no problems even when scratching but i cannot get the time code to work. I have the 2.5.5 drivers for the maya. Under the config for the timecode I have the input set to chan 1&2: Activated Deck and output to ch1 and 2 master. My right turntaable (the one i am using) is always at 0% and sometimes silent. The red and green lines are going crazy. A few times I have been able to control a song but very limited and still without any higher than 0%. Sometimes I will start the tccd and then press play in vdj and I will be able to scratch and stuff but it is still kind of crackly.....Question.....when everything is hooked up correctly can i press play on the denon deck and have the song start playing in vdj or do i always have to press play in vdj? I have followed all the instructions from the vdj tcv website....dennon deck into soundcard....sound card into mixer. What could be wrong? How do I fix this and get it to work? Paisain.....you said u installed the maya to a differnt com port? how do i do this?

Anybody with knowledge or ideas please help

Thanks....DJ Vybez

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 3:23 am
Corona,
Read this thread it has links to what me and a couple of other TCCD users did to set our systems up when we had the same problems you are having.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=10951&page=1

Hope this helps

If you still need help go to my blog shoot me an email and ill give you my phone number and try to help you out that way.

Paisan

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 10:00 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 10:53 pm
I have the same issue.. I have 100% on the timecode CD;s using DJ800's but it drifts as well. Ive played with the silence and that did nothing. I also dont havr the Mays 44 USB control panel running as I dont see how to do it or why that would make a difference.

Posted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 5:44 pm
wait for next release ;) timecode is being worked on right now :)

Posted Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 7:19 pm
The new version DIDNT fix the issue.. it still drifts!! HELP!!

Posted Mon 01 Jun 09 @ 7:40 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
djqwikcut wrote :
The new version DIDNT fix the issue.. it still drifts!! HELP!!

Stop posting it in Multiple Threads -- Please .. it will not get you a solution faster.

Posted Mon 01 Jun 09 @ 7:44 pm
Thanks but if someone from VDJ would respond that I wouldnt need to. I have tickets in and no one responds.. I have a GIG on sat and its going to be an issue...

Posted Wed 03 Jun 09 @ 8:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)