Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Library Syncronization

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NetGeekPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This sort of stems from another topic I started, but I felt it may be worth a new thread. I wanted to share a technique I am using when managing my library.

I use two systems - one for preparing the music, tweaking tags, filenames, and even cleaning up some music. The other system is used for live productions only. Since most agree that you want to run as few programs as possible on the production system, the trick is to keep the libraries in sync - meaning adding/removing/modifying files on the support system, takes effect on both.

[NOTE: You must be familiar with proper security precautions before enabling file sharing on any computer]

To accomplish this, I turn on a file share on my support system on the directory that holds my libraries. I then map a drive on my production system to that share.

Starting with Windows 2000, Microsoft enabled a feature called Offline Synchronization. This enables you to maintain a copy of a shared drive locally for when you are not connected to the network. Any changes to the files while not connected, on either system, will sync up next time the drive is connected.

I simply sync up my production system's drive prior to hitting the road. This is also a great way to ensure your library is backed up in the case that one system crashes.

If you find this useful, and want more detailed instructions on how to create shares on 2000 and XP, let me know and I will post further. Also, if you have any more hints like this or use another method that you think is either easier or more effective, I would love to hear.

Brent

Posted Wed 10 Nov 04 @ 1:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)