Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Loop Bug (triggers crashguard)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I found this bug while setting cue points for the end of my songs. For one of them I was trying to see how the final loop would sound:

I'm using 2.04

-Play any song
-Towards the end, loop it but with a greater number of beats than is remaining. (e.g. loop 128 if 32 beats remain)
- While the song is playing and that loop is activated, rewind the song (rotate the turntable backwards)
- As soon as you reach the loop entry point, VDJ will Crash
- Crashguard will pop up:
If you choose to recover, then either:
* VDJ will dissapear (and stop playing music) for 5 seconds then reappear. However, crashguard will start appearing randomly until you restart VDJ.
OR
* VDJ will recover immediately but the interface will not be functional

Posted Fri 05 Nov 04 @ 6:18 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
that will be because vdj is then trying to go to the loop exit point which is way past the end of the song. if you do a 1/4 beat loop and scratch it will be jumping between the entery and exit points (and vice versa).
shouldn't be too hard to fix though...

Posted Sat 06 Nov 04 @ 2:49 am
This bug still exists as of 3.0 and is worse than I originally posted.
You don't even have to rewind during the loop.
Just letting the any loop that is greater than the number of beats left, will trigger crashguard once the beats run out.

However, this is not a typical crashguard, as you can not recover from it.

I think this one should be a priority, because it is easy to accidentally hit a loop-shortcut key at the end of a song.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 10:03 am
Hello!

I tried to reproduce the crash you mentioned, but it works fine for me. No Crash.

Regards,

Jim Nordic

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 10:30 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I tried. No crash when setting a 16 beat loop with 6 beats of song remaining. It did act a little glitchy, however. The waveform display froze, but both decks continued playing. 2 seconds later, the waveform returned to normal and all was well with no more freezes even when scratching across both the beginning and end points of the loop via XP10.

1.2ghz Athlon
1 gig SDRAM

Bargler

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 12:28 pm
I get this all the time.
And now I would say it is urgent because this time it triggered a windows coredump.

I didnt explain myself properly at first... it wont crash right after the last beat... the song will keep playing a bit, and then it will crash.

My settings:

Soundcard: -Advanced Config
Reactivity: Fast
MAx Load: 30 min
Limiter Disabled
Timestrech: Disabled

Even if you guys cant reproduce my crash... can you please add in some code like:
If Loop_Size > Remaining_Beats Then Dont_Loop?

This is a very serious issue for me.
Thanks.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 5:11 pm
I just tested it right now (while sitting @toilet and reading forums :-) ) so using bulit in notebook soundcard with the simpiest configuration (master only) (i think it has nothing to do with output settings at all)

128,64,32 seamless loop crashes immediately vdj as Raz described
i tested it in 3.01 (logooff) version

16 beat loop did not crash immediately but when i activated the loop and spinning the record with mouse and left the song to play and then clicked close, vdj asked me that if I am sure, because song is playing, i clicked yes, It make a nice crash again... can reproduce easily ...

just one remark (to not mix this bug with the alter loop bug) i assigned to a key "o" action loop 128
after crash i tryed assign different values ... so not by clicking in the skin

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 12:56 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I was just about to report this as a new thread.., but obviously i've seen that it's already been brought to peoples attention..

set a loop greater than what time is remaining on that track.., you either get a freeze, a smiley face, or worse, windows completely locks up.., and it happens everytime.., this is not related to specs, as I too have good specs, perhaps settings, but I think not, this is simply a software bug and needs fixing immediately..

I set max load to always.

Bagpuss.

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 9:12 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I had a crash like this last night.

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 2:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)