Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Confusion about sending different channel to a mixer...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was told that in order to assign each deck of the console to a seperate channel of a mixer I need the full VDJ 2.xx. So I purchase it but now I am even more confused!

First of all, I know I have to be in advance mode on the hercule software.

Second, I need to select in VDJ the soundcard 4.1 config.

Then I can choose between software 3D or output 7.1 or none (for none both checkbox are unchecked). BTW this part is not explained in the manual! So I made some tests:

If I choose 3D I can hear in the background the other deck of all channels (1-2, 3-4, 5-6). In fact 1-2 and 3-4 have like the final mixed output. So this is no good for mixing.

If I choose none, channel 5-6 has only the left deck (regardless of volume slider or crossfade), channel 3-4 is silent, and channel 1-2 have the normal output.

The output 7.1 selection is the same has choosing nothing except that 3-4 has the left deck now and 5-6 is silent.

So my friends... what the heck is going on. I have the console to connect to an extgernal mixer in exactly 18 hours for a live gig...

Does it mean I can simply select output 7.1 (or none) and connect with RCA cables channel 3-4 (or 5-6) into one input of the mixer to get the left deck and then set the DJ console so that the volume slider on left deck is shut down and the crossfade is completely on right deck in oder to connect the mixed 1-2 output with only the sound of the right deck?

If this is the answer than I am wondering if I could have do that in the 1.09 VDJ version. I recall that in 1.09 output 3-4 had the sound of the headphone so I could have simply select the left deck for headphone. Am I right? I hope not since I spend 114$ yesterday just to seperate the output of deck 1 and 2 to an external mixer.

Please help asap.

Thanks!

why I got the full version in the first place since I think the

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 4:15 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
split the output in 1.09 can not be done.
you choose the outputs of the console.
i have player : A chan 1-2
: B chan 5-6
: samples center-bas

this plugged in an external mixer.

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 6:54 am
Still I would like to understand 3 things:

Q1- First, is what I described in my original post normal?

Right now I have with the 4.1 soundcard and output 7.1 config, channel 1-2 with the 2 decks output and channel 3-4 with only the left deck output.

Does it make sense that I still have still get the mixed sound of both decks on channel 1-2 and that I need to simply shut down the console volume of the left deck to get only the right deck on channel 1-2?

If with the 4.1 soundcard setting I should not have to do that and channel 1-2 should only play the right deck regardless of the volume or cross fader position than does it means that my console has a problem?

Q2 - Second, since by default the console output 3-4 has the headphone output, doesn't it make sense that I could have simply kept version 1.09 and assign the left deck to the headphone and shut its volume so that output 1-2 has only the right deck playing. Then I simpy need to connect each output (1-2 and 3-4) to a mixer and plug my headphone on the mixer to prelisten any of the two outputs!

Q3 - Finally, in the manual they mentioned that we can use the "advanced sound configuration" to assign even the samples on a different output like what DJJB seems to have done. But where the heck is this advanced option!

I am getting a bit desperate now with 9 hours left before my live DJ set. So any help is greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks a lot!

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 1:29 pm
I start to believe I might have a problem with my console. I just noticed now that with the 4.1 soundcard setup I simply get the headphone signal on 3-4 or 5-6 depending if I select Output 7.1 or not. The mixed output is also always on 1-2. So I do not think we could say that the output of each deck are seperated on different output channels. In fact it looks like the same setup as if I had VDJ 1.09.

My solution to cut from the mixed output (channel 1-2) the volume of the deck playing on the headphone still seems to make sense. That give me a seperate the signal from each deck on 2 seperate channel and this would work with 1.09. I just have to be careful on the console not to move the volume slider of the left deck by mistake.

But again I need feedbacks from you all on these issues.

Thanks!

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 1:53 pm
Oups!... You know what...
Always reboot your computer after installing VDJ 2.x otherwise you will not get the new soundcard configuration window with the advanced mode... :)

So now I am in business.

Nevertheless, I believe I found a way to seperate the decks in version 1.09 by:

1- using the headphone channel 3-4; and
2- cutting the volume slider of the headphone deck on the console; and finally
3- plug your headphone on the external mixer to prelisten any channel you want and of course use the volume control, and eqs of your mixer.

So you do not have to buy VDJ 2.x for simply being able to seperate decks.

Personnaly, I find VDJ 2.x.x nice to have because of the additional FX but mainly because of the plugin ID3 parser so I do not have to mess around with my mp3 file names.

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 2:06 pm
You the day you feel the most stupid. Well... I am pretty close to this day. I did not need to reboot but simply to notice that there is a slider next to all the config images.
So I was only looking at the first config (images)!

Anyway. My 1.09 setup to seperate the channel still make sense.

So I am now using the same setup as DJ JB. However, I am wondering if there is a way to have the samples play on both deck channel instead of assigning it to its own channel (3-4 in my case). I do not use samples a lot so I would rather not have a specific channel just for a few samples i might never play.

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 2:51 pm
Again with the seperate channels, I guess one has to be very careful not to move the console the volume sliders (which I will set to max) and especially not not move the crossader from the middle point (maybe I should tape it).

Any advices?

Posted Sat 30 Oct 04 @ 2:55 pm
If you want to use Hercules as a "dual soundcard" having each deck on seperate channel on external mixer, your soundcard settings should be :
- 4.1 soundcard + external mixer ( and NO 3d or 7.1 checked!)

this will give you each deck seperate from Hercules (1-2 and 5-6). Also, it will play samples for both decks, regardless of what deck is active.

In this setup, you have to use your external mixer for headphone cueing.

If you ever wanted to use the Hercules WITHOUT external mixer, scroll all the way down to the Hercules image in soundcard setup, and that will let you prelisten in the Hercules headphone output, give you one master out etc

And finaly, if you ever want to have sampes at a 3rd channel at external mixer (enabling you to prelisten samples for example) you have to go to advanced soundcard settings, and make samples go to a different soundcard, for example the pc soundcard...

hope this helps :) and that you have figured out Hercules and VDJ setup by now.. if not, please ask again, and we can help you.

Final comment, I would rather use 2.0x version if I where you... as it is an updated version not only in functions but also regarding bugs... so 2.0x is a lot better than 1.09 :)

happy mixing ;)

Posted Mon 01 Nov 04 @ 1:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)