Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problem With Beat Visualization

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,

I play in full windowed mode. No problem.

After I minimize, then maximize, my beat visualization window goes into slow motion everytime I play with the bass, high, or mids crossfaders.

I'm running off an IBM thinkpad, Penitum M 735 1.7 Ghz, 1 Gig of Ram, Echo Idnigo DJ, and ATI Modiblity Radeaon 7500 (32 megs)

I've disabled just about every single non-essential windows service, and most of the useless background apps that came installed with this.

I'm running windows XP professional service pack 1.

I've upgraded to latest direct X drivers.

I'm using 2.04, but had the problem with 2.03

Any ideas?

And while I'm at it, I have a lesser problem...
When I move around small crossfaders, like the bass,mid,highs on the Mixstation SV 0.4 skin, they tend to lag. (this happens even If I never minimize)

Posted Sat 09 Oct 04 @ 8:14 pm
I had that lagging problem when I was running low on ram. I added 512 MB to the system and that corrected the problem. But what also I found out is if I modifed any of the EQ when before I played any songs, the lagging wouldn't occurr.

Posted Sun 10 Oct 04 @ 12:55 am
I have a gig of ram, so i doubt that's the problem.
It seems to be a soundcard/driver related problem, because I only get latency when playing with the EQ. And like I mentioned above, I'm using the echo indigo dj which a lot of you guys seem to be using without problems.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this latency?

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 7:05 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
try turning down your video accelation and switching off xp pretty mode. sounds like you have windows animation turned on select for best performance and see what happens

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 8:44 am
Thanks, but that's already done. I've applied all the tweaks suggested in the guide posted in this forum.

I've also tried every single possbile combination of every tweak on the list.

Only thing left I can think of, is that XP is not doing what it's supposed to do when it comes to IRQ sharing.

It decided to put my graphics card and sound card on same IRQ#, and there is no way for me to change it, even through bios. Whatever I set in BIOS, XP overrides.

Any suggestions?

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 9:33 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
there is a way to force winXP and win2k to revert to manual changing of the IRQ'S i've posted a solution to this in another thread which i will track down shortly it involves reverting the ACPI to Standard PC, which allows you to manually configure your IRQ and all other recourse allocations seperatly.
will post the link as soon as i track it down again

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 10:45 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
here it is

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=6389&page=2

I’ve found a solution for you in my M-Audio Delta 410 manual.
From what you've last described it is definitely a IRQ problem with your USB ports. Follow what it says here to be able to manually assign IRQ’s within 2000 and XP (it is written for 2000 but the result is the same)
Once you have done this just manually configure the devices that you want and the rest should take care of themselves
...................................................................................

Windows 2000:
ACPI mode is the default configuration for Windows 2000,which loads all devices configurable by the OS onto one IRQ.
This will not work for most of us. Changing settings in the BIOS or moving devices to different PCI slots will not cause them to change IRQs.
You can change your Windows 2000 system to “Standard PC” mode easily. This will cause your system to reconfigure ALL of the devices, including printer ports and COM ports.
While this may sound like a scary proposition, doing so will
then allow your devices to accept different IRQs, also allowing your BIOS to take control if your BIOS is capable of this.
The best way to approach this is to change to Standard PC mode before you install your Delta card or any additional PnP expansion cards. If you’ve already installed these devices, you may need to completely start over to get each one to
configure properly to its own IRQ. This means removing the device from the Device Manager, powering down, removing, and then installing each device one by one. It sounds sinister, but it is the best way to insure that each device configures properly.

To remove a device from the Device Manager, right-click My Computer and select Properties.
Click the Hardware tab, then select Device Manager.
Locate the device in the list (clicking on the + sign opens the list for that device category), highlight it, then select “Uninstall” from the Actions menu.
This is a good practice when reconfiguring a device, as it removes entries in the Registry for that particular device. Power down, and physically remove the expansion card from its PCI slot.
To change your system to Standard PC mode:

1. Boot into Windows and open the Device Manager. Right-click the + sign next to “Computer.”

2. Double-click the entry that appears under Computer, which should indicate that the computer is in ACPI mode. Click the Driver tab, then click the “Update Driver” button.

3. The Upgrade Device Driver Wizard will appear. Click Next>. Select “Display a list of known drivers for this device...”and click Next>.

4. Select the radio button “Show all hardware of this device class.” In the list on the right, select “Standard PC,”then click Next>.

Follow the prompts, and restart your computer when instructed.

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 10:51 am
Thanks DJZero, this indeed identified the problem!

There was a conflict between the indigo and some of the usb ports. There is still another minor conflict, but the bios wont let me move the soundcard :(

So it fixed the problem...
However, putting myself in standard PC mode caused a lot of problems on the laptop:

-Windows reinstalled everything, and couldnt find most of the drivers.
-Plus now, it takes 2 extra minutes to boot and shutdown.

So I've reverted back to regular mode, and I'm going to try to disable some of the usb ports that asre causing the conflict.

Worst case, I think I'll just stay with the conflict instead of risking having the computer crash due to some missing IBM drivers or misconfiguration by windows in standard mode.

Anyways thanks, now I know what the problem is :-)

Posted Tue 12 Oct 04 @ 4:22 pm
Ok...

After 4 days of playing around with just about every possible setting/configuration and reinstalling everything from scratch three times, my advice to all is:

1-Booting to "Standard PC Mode" is definitely NOT the way to go. Even if you do make the switch without it killing your system, there is no guarantee that you will indeed be able to assign independebt IRQs ( I wasn't). Windows did however seperate my graphics card, Indigo DJ sound card, and USB mouse, though it still put some minor stuff on same IRQ as sound card...

And the result was that while it solved the problem at first, it was only a matter of time before VDJ was still lagging behind on the EQ faders. So I don't think the latency had to do with IRQs.

Plus, the system took 2 extra minutes to boot, 1 extra minute to shutdown, I couldn't install a bunch of drivers, and who knows how unstable it made my system.

2- I did solve the problem: Setting the priority of VDJ to "Real Time"

This has made VDJ run incredibly well for me. 0 latency whatsoever.

HOWEVER, if you analyze a song while another one is playing (or if you just load an unanalyzed song onto a deck while a song is playing in the other deck) then the sound severely skips. That was the only downside to this.

But if you do no analyzing of songs during playing, then "real time" seems to be the way to go. I'm going to test this more rigourously over the next few days, and let you guys know how it turns out.

But definitely, after turning on/off a bunch of services and apps, after doing all the tweaks mentioned on these boards and other sites, the one thing that made VDJ run without any performance problems was setting its priority to "Real Time"

To do so (under windows XP):

- CTRL+ALT+DELETE
- This brings up the task manager
- Under the "Processes" tab, find the VirtualDJ.exe process.
- Right CLick on It, choose "Set Priority" and set it to "real time"
- You will get a message about "system may become unstable"
- Just Click OK. At worst windows will crash.

This works under my configuration, which basically has just about every non-essential service disabled. (I have only about 10 windows services running)

A good site to know what services to turn off is: http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Archive/service411.htm

Posted Thu 14 Oct 04 @ 4:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)