Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Laptop Temperature

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does anyone know what is the normal temp for a laptop
Runnin with VDJ.
I got something interesting to monitor temps(thanks coyote)
www.speedfan.com its freeware enjoy!
Regards{:^)

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 2:53 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
as VDJ is very RAM intensive it does create alot more heat, especially in laptops. it has been recomended to use an external cooler for laptops inorder to keep the heat down.

use the search function in the forums to find some usefull links and more infomation.

the cause of your crashes may also be realted to overheating problems...

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 4:34 am
some laptop have huge problems with over-heating when running intense programs for hours (like VDJ)...

Over-heating is the #1 source for crash...

Make sure that your laptop has a FREE good space for fan, and if the fan is at under the laptop, elevate it a bit with something, to make air run more free...

My laptop runs VDJ for hours after hours without problems (good fan and good cooling - with fan on the side of laptop).

but I have seen problems with other laptop models, running intense programs for a long time. And VDJ running music for hours after hours is an intence pc operation...

some laptops are badly designed, sorry to say... But there are laptop coolers that helps, or at least make sure that the fan on your laptop have free open air...

Posted Wed 29 Sep 04 @ 2:28 pm
If i add an external fan would this not draw more dust into the machine?

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 3:52 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
In my observation, using VDJ and other programs, one of the things that builds up heat is constant HDD access. Obviously, this won't be a problem if you're running an external HDD. VDJ shouldn't make your laptop any hotter than any other music software.

In my experience, average temperature is 45-50°C, but if I run any music software, the temperature typically rises to 57-60°. The highest temperature I've recorded is 71°, but everything kept running as usual. It might have something to do with my PC, though. It's a very large desktop replacement with a liquid cooled CPU. I use Hardware Sensors Monitor on my laptop to get the readings. YMMV.

Däch
http://www.closedcaskets.com/

Posted Thu 30 Sep 04 @ 8:56 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
just set up the fans to extract air from the laptop rather then blow air in and this will reduce dust buildup...

Posted Fri 01 Oct 04 @ 1:13 am
Try running VDJ on a desktop pc, and see how stable it is there.. there is for sure a heat problem with many laptops, due to all the components at such a small place, crowded inside the laptop, and badly design from many laptop firms..

more about laptop coolers here:
http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/cooling_devices/bytecc/

"...heat is your laptop's most dangerous enemy. And our notebook cooler is the answer...."

http://www.antec-inc.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004#

"...The fact of the matter is that laptops run HOT. There are several reasons for this: the CPU and mainboard components, the confined space of the laptop's components, the compact hard drive, and the batteries. Each of these factors affect both the external and internal heat of the portable computer, which results in three things: discomfort for the user, possible instability of the system leading to lockups or crashes, and increased potential for failure of the hard drive..."

well said ;)

Posted Fri 01 Oct 04 @ 1:27 pm
Even if i extract the air it will build dust since the air will be pulled in more being extracted...does this make sense?

Posted Fri 01 Oct 04 @ 6:19 pm
This is what i did last night: i put a round metal cake pan under my laptop making sure not to obscure the opening for the fan.The heat seems to transfer to the metal very well.Since the pan is hollow i will install a fan inside to cool it even more.With speed fan and this contraption i went from 60avrg to52avrg.
No crash for 6hrs and it was busy so it was very hot in there
Stay cool!!!

Posted Fri 01 Oct 04 @ 6:27 pm
there u go... ;) I do the exact same.. elevate laptop to have free air running under laptop, to make it stay cool...

and u see, no crash, when laptop is cooler ;) Now, isn't that cool ;) lol

Posted Sun 03 Oct 04 @ 4:07 pm
It worked well for a couple of nights but Sunday the temp was at 70 for at least 2hrs.It was quiet so i ran automix for a while with no problems then worked some and still no crashes or even glitches....I am pretty happy with the Vdj dev team for solving issues so quickly.

Very best regards

Posted Wed 06 Oct 04 @ 4:33 pm
Try this: Go to HOME DEPOT and buy four rubber door stoppers. The round ones used for preventing a door handle from making a hole in a wall. They go for about $2.00 for a pack of 4. Stick them on each corner underneath your laptop. That should give you about 1" of height on the laptop. Then set the computer on top of a CHILL PAD with two fans. No more heating problems. Get the pad that works with electrical power and not the one with the USB cable. Hope this info. helped.

Posted Thu 11 Nov 04 @ 5:02 am
a laptop cooler is $17 and runs off the usb port

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 12:54 am
Is a laptop COOLER the same as a CHILL PAD? What is the difference? Doesn't it take power from the laptop to run it from a USB port? Can you give me the PROS & CONS of the COOLER vs. the CHILL PAD? Thanks.

Posted Tue 16 Nov 04 @ 2:45 am
I think chill pad is a name brand and they are the same

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 12:29 am
Kool. Thanks.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 04 @ 5:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)