Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mixing external vinyls with VDJ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

is it possible to run 2 digital line-out turntables playing real records (as opposed to the time-code vinyls) into the line in on 2 soundcards, and use VDJ to mix/sync the incoming signals from the turntables?

If not, is there anything in the works that could allow me to do this? i have two Stanton STR8-80's with digital line-out and about 400 records that i don't want to rip. I would like to be able to play these records yet use the functions available with VDJ to sync and mix the records, in addition to having the sample sync, effects, and so on. This would be an awesome addition to your already great product and i think alot more dj's would go for it if it was possible.

Thanks for your time.

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 2:29 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think it's fully possible (check in VDJ browser if your turntables [lines in] appears on the left column).

... But never tried ... So I'm not sure.

Tell us your result.

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 8:06 am
never tried, but you can at least get the signal into one deck of VDJ and it will read the bpm etc

don't know it it will sync, samples will sync etc, but u can try, would love to hear the feedback.

You need to brownse for your soundcard in VDJ (left column), and drop the right soundcard that has line-in connected to turntable, onto the deck in VDJ ;)

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 1:25 pm
great ideas guys! thanks for the input. i will try this tonight.

I also found some software that does exactly this job tho. It reads the line in signals from two turntables, and not only gives you the bpm of each deck but also shows you which deck is ahead or behind the other one visually, making it easy to mix in any sound situation. of course, you dont have the samples or the effects available in VDJ but it works like a charm.

msg me offline and if your interested in finding out more.

greetz!

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 2:04 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i believe you need an ASIO soundcard for this, using the new timecode_bypass command (ie. set up as if you were using TCV and then use this function, you can build it into a skin or use it as a keyboard shortcut) havn't tried this yet but will soon, havn't found the need to. but sounds promising

Posted Thu 23 Sep 04 @ 2:59 pm
so i did manage to get it to work. as suggested, i simply browsed for my soundcard in My Computer and dropped it on the left deck. It did work in so far as it shows the beat spikes to the left of the event line but did not calculate bpm (or anything else associatd with that re: fx, etc.). also when i dropped an mp3 on to the right deck and hit play, waveforms from both decks kinda shuddered and sputtered along as if the CPU was max'd out (2.7GHZ Athlon, 1GB ram, stock SoundMax Digital Audio SC). to be fair tho, i simply ran phono out into my mic jack as i dont have a line-in on my laptop's soundcard. would this make a difference?

i am going to play with it until i get it running smoothly, even if i have to purchase a better soundcard (thanks for the feedback about the ASIO card DJZero. I will maybe investigate that a little further), as you can indeed use it to line up the beats visually from records being played in to the soundcard, which is what i wanted. it will be sweet if i can get VDJ to calculate bpm post event line.

greetz!

Posted Fri 24 Sep 04 @ 3:46 pm
sound great ;) maybe this can feature can be developed a bit further from the VDJ team, so that BPM, FX etc can be used...

and, asio soundcard might improve it... true :)

thanx for feedback, as this feature for sure sounds interesting to me too... :)

Posted Mon 27 Sep 04 @ 2:12 pm
hartusHome userMember since 2004
Any progress here? I just tried this which worked pretty ok but when recording the line in didn't get recorded. Am I doing anything wrong?

.t

Posted Wed 24 Nov 04 @ 9:56 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 3:53 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hartus I think this option is not available with demo version.

Posted Thu 25 Nov 04 @ 10:46 am
chadderHome userMember since 2004
I tried hooking my turntable up as well and when I tried recording I wasn't able to here any sound? What function will allow the turntable to be recorded through vdj? I should also let you know that I am running version 2.0, do you know if this version can record external sources?

Posted Fri 03 Dec 04 @ 5:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)