Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: *** MEMORY LEAK ***

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

After several hours of mixing at a LIVE party, VirtualDJ crashed on me

Luckily I had PCDJ red loaded and ready to run on another machine. I said "RED" not "FX" or "Red VRM" crap. The original PCDJ Red was written by Jorgen Hedberg and although does not have have as many features as VDJ, it is the most stable dj program on the planet.

Let's get back to VirtualDJ... here are my observations:
As time went on, Virtual DJ seemed to get slower and slower. In the beginning, it was fine. Everything was responsive and quick. No graphic freezes or skipping of the audio. Scratching worked great. However, several hours later, It seemed like any time I did anything CPU intensive (like switch windows to find a track, or turn the beat lock on) VDJ took forever to draw and even would skip. Eventually VDJ crashed and exited out. DEAD SILENCE -- very embarrasing.

The beat counter and beat lock engine need work but I am not complaining about that. I normally leave these OFF for stability. I can do the mix manually myself. The instability is worse when these features are engaged

The instability is not my system -- i have tried it on 3 computers

amd 2800 w/ 320MB XP Home
Intel P4 celeron 1.6 with 512MB Win2k Professional
AMD 2000 with 256K XP Home

All of them react the same :-(

Understand: VDJ is a wonderful program with many cutting edge features; I like it a lot and that is why I purchased it. But it has to be 100% stable for me to use in a live performance! :-(

I believe VirtualDJ has a MEMORY LEAK or some other serious buffer problem. That is the only way I can explain it crashing after hours of mixing and scratching with two XP10's.

Please make VirtualDJ stable!

Other comments:

Good: I feel the the VDJ auto play does a wonderful job of mixing tracks, especially with ultimix, funkymix and x-mix and even hip hop. I love it

Good: I love the effects of VirtualDJ and the skins.

Bad: The "find" (search) feature in virtual DJ is useless. It only searches the current folder. that does not help me when I need a specific artist or track name. please make it GLOBAL like BPM studio and PCDJ Red.

Good: The scratching on VirtualDJ with the XP10's is the best available

Bad: While mixing, the XP10's lost connection numerous times. I could NOT press play/stop. To fix this, I had to hit it over and over then it comes back to life. In addition, sometimes the scratch wheel is unresponsive. I press on the plate to hold the track back and it does not STOP. Might be my USB cables or laptop power. I will try a powered USB hub and report back if that helps.

WirelessDJ
Reflex, take me away!

Posted Sun 19 Sep 04 @ 4:07 am
I played for 6 hours tonight and did not have this problem. I never really had this and any issues I had were not with this program. I wish you luck.... I do have a very powerful computer. 2.8 GHZ and gig of ram. Maybe if you upgrade?

Posted Sun 19 Sep 04 @ 5:01 am
please answer the following honestly...

Do you have two XP10's?
If so, do you scracth often?
Do you beat match songs?

What speed and type processor do you have?
What OS are you running?
how much memory do you have?

Posted Sun 19 Sep 04 @ 12:41 pm
Hi Wireless,

I do not have the XP10's so I guess I would not scratch as you do. I use the mouse with a DAC-2 and never had that kind of an issue. I have had other issues that ended up to be a conflict in my wireless modem. And my computer is extremely powerful. Toshiba laptop. 2.8GHZ 1 Gig RAM, 2 External HD's 120 gig each, 1 Internal 80 GIG. Maybe it is in the XP 10's somewhere. I do beat match nearly ever song however usually manually. I wish you luck..

Posted Mon 20 Sep 04 @ 5:41 pm

@ WIRELESS

I dont have any such problems...
I use VDJ for hours and hours, and NO problems at all... really!

So, it have to be a problem with hardware, driver or something else... that dont work well with VDJ (as it seem to work well with PCDJ for u)

I do not have xp10, but use hercules console.
Is it a xp10 problem??

I beatmix ALL the time, but not much scratch.....

My specs are :
laptop p4 1,8Ghz, 500mb ram
lots of free harddisk space (VERY needed for virtual memory)
clean installed winxp home edition

Posted Tue 21 Sep 04 @ 2:28 pm
Please open your task manager and run vdj within a few hours the commit charge has doubled and it keeps going up slowly?
Went back to IBM again they checked my computer and its fine.Even the IBM dude told me about a memory leak in virtualdj.exe it keeps climbing steadily.
Someone tell me im wrong!!Make sure you try it first.

Posted Tue 28 Sep 04 @ 7:21 am
virtual dj has crashed while using it in conjuction with my hercules dj console at least once everytime i've used it more than 3 hours. it's the software because i haven't had the problem with mixvibes pro. i prefer virtual dj but they have to fix the stability factor. it has locked up or shut down too many times on me. i do a lot of backspinning with my mouse while preparing to blend my music (usually hip hop and R&B) which may contribute to the instability but since i'm not blending (simplistic) house, club or trance music with long instrumental intros (which i can blend without external hardware), timing is crucial when bringing in a track on time to blend in with the song already playing. i like to to hold a virtual disc with my mouse and scratch it into the mix right over top of whatever is already playing. unfortunately it appears that if i do this too often the program crashes.

Posted Sat 13 Nov 04 @ 11:52 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)