Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: changed processors and it sounds different?!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I had a dell Inspiron 2650 1.6Ghz P4 celeron laptop with 512MB

sold it and got an Averatec laptop with 256MB ram Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M 2000+ processor http://www.averatec.com/notebooks/3200series.htm

with the new laptop the scratch sounds a little different?

at the beginning of the sample when starting to scratch with the XP10's it seems to scratch too easily now.

It doesnt happen when scratching with the mouse. It is not the sound card because I have tried 3 of them (AC97, XP10 sound card, and Echo Indigo DJ cards)

It is hard to explain

what changed?
WirelessDJ

Posted Sat 04 Sep 04 @ 6:27 pm
SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You say it scratches too easily.....do you mean it is more responsive?

Could be because the AMD chip has faster cache memory (and more of it) than the Celeron chip so it processes real time commands MUCH faster than the Celeron chip (the old Celerons had no cache memory so they were very unresponsive to real time commands)

Could be your answer

Posted Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 8:59 pm
hmmm, that is interesting hypothesis. I am not sure. I upgraded to version 2.02 and it doesnt seem as noticable. I will try it on a Dell Dimension 2400 celeron P4 and see if it is different.

What I do notice is that when a track is playing and I open config of VDJ, the graphics will freeze and occasionally skip as if the 1Ghz processor (or video card) can not keep up

Posted Wed 08 Sep 04 @ 12:26 am
Is the 1 gig a duron or P3?

Duron's suffered from lag due to the lack of cache memory. Also, if your laptop had no genuine dedicated Video RAM (such as shared video memory) this can cause freezes in the screen.

A Laptop must have dedicated video ram because otherwise all of the sound and graphic routines will be sent through the CPU Directly to the same RAM - and VDJ uses a lot of ram so if you have to open another (graphical) window, it has to decide whether to prioritise the sound or video routines.

With newer laptops, they tend to have Nvidia or ATI Chipsets with dedicated RAM, so the CPU sends sound instructions through the main RAM and graphics to the dedicated Video RAM, meaning no prioritising and no freeze ups.

Hope you can understand me as I am not too good at explaining things!

Posted Wed 08 Sep 04 @ 4:40 pm
>Is the 1 gig a duron or P3?
AMD Athlon XP-Mobile processor 2000 running at 1ghz

>Also, if your laptop had no genuine dedicated Video RAM (such as shared video memory) this can cause freezes in the screen.
Ah ha, it has SHARED memory

>A Laptop must have dedicated video ram because otherwise all of the sound and graphic routines will be sent through the CPU Directly to the same RAM - and VDJ uses a lot of ram so if you have to open another (graphical) window, it has to decide whether to prioritise the sound or video routines.
Any way to get around this?

>Hope you can understand me as I am not too good at explaining things!
I appreciate the reply

Posted Sat 11 Sep 04 @ 12:12 am
Ok Wireless......lets get technical!

Firstly, a 2gig AMD should NOT be running at 1 ghz. It should be running at (approx) 1.6 ghz so you are losing about 40% of your CPU speed.

To fix this:

Enter the BIOS or setup (usually press delete,F10 or F2 when you start your laptop)
Go in to system settings and change the system speed (or clock speed as it may be called upto 133mhz)

Set the system multiplier up to 12 (if it has the option)

To make it simple, your system sounds like it runs at 100mhz x 10 =1000mhz

If nothing else then change the clock (or RAM if the option is there to 133mhz)

If you have no multiplier setup then at least you will have 10x133mhz=1333mhz which is a 33% increase on current speeds.

IF YOU CANNOT CHANGE ANY OF THESE OPTIONS THEN SEND THE LAPTOP BACK - IT HAS BEEN SETUP WRONG.

Secondly, you can help shared memory:

Courtesy of Valentine DJ Take these steps:

Open the Control Panel in you system and choose sounds and select audio devices.
Click hardware
Double click on Audio Codecs.
Click Properties.
Find Franhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codex and double click it.
Drop down the priority box and mark it 1
Click OK
Now set the remainder up making the windows media player number 2 and any others you recogize.
Then restart the machine

This way audio will take priority over everything (including windows tasks etc and graphics will take number 2)

Remember to run adaware and Regscrub XP to rid your PC from unwanted data processes and Spyware.

Let me know how you get on

Sparky

Posted Sat 11 Sep 04 @ 4:48 am
thanks for the advice, I will check to see if I have those options.

WirelessDJ

Posted Tue 14 Sep 04 @ 12:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)