Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Desactivate the cross-fader ??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello,

I'm using the DJ console for a couple of months now and I really enjoyed it so far. I use it as a sound card and as a remote control for the VDJ Software. But I don't use the DJ console, nor the VDJ Software for the mixing part: I rather use an external mixer.

----------------------------------------------

1) Since I absolutely never use the cross-fader on the DJ Console, I was wondering wether it would be possible to desactivate it?

I'm asking that because while mixing, I'm always afraid of moving it, what could lead to an important change in the music level.

I think this feature should not be too difficult to add and from what I read on the forum, I could be nice for many Dj's!

------------------------------------------------------

2) Moreover, since I don't use the equalizer on the DJ console but rather on my external mixer, I would like to use the buttons to control the effect's parameters (e.g. the depht of the flanger effect). Do you think it would be possible?

-------------------------------------------------------
The DJ console, used with VDJ and an external mixer is really nice for me, but if it was possible to make these small improvements (in a future version ?), it would just be divine !!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Enjoy the mix with Virtual DJ !!

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 2:44 pm
Great ideas.... ;)

I'm using the console just like u... with an external mixer.

So.. I dont use the crossfader or EQ knobs as well, only pitch, play etc .. and jogwheels for nudge.. and it works well :)

But disable crossfader would be a GREAT thing!!
Should be possible..
As far as the knobs controlling the sliders for effects, wow!! That would be AWESOME!! ;) guess its a bit harder to make work than the crossfader disable..

great ideas.. ;)

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 3:33 pm
To disable the cross-fader, so you won't accidentaly move it, you can always use some tape and tape it so it stays in the middle... :) (it sounds like a lame joke, but it should work, so you don't have to be scared that you accidentaly move it)

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 4:13 pm
Lodewijk: this is exactly what I'm doing now... But it is certainly not very professional to have a piece of tape on the DJ console... ;-)

Anyway I'm very happy to see that other DJ's are using the DJ console the same way as I do, and that they have the same wishes about improvements that could be made to the wonderful combination VDJ+HDJC!

Any reaction from the development team?

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 4:19 pm
They could also be maybe used to move SAMPLE sliders (as u can with the UC33e Mixtable) I guess..

but the eq knobs and crossfader are NOT assignable in the Hercules console mapper, so I dont know if there could be made such a feature.

I guess it could, as the PITCH slider is also not asignable in Hercules console mapper, but VDJ team have made it possible to switch between pitch and volume for that slider, so maybe the developers could also make features for the other "un-asignable" knobs/sliders (crossfader/eq)

I guess it's all possible if there was made a mapper like for XP10 :)

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 4:26 pm
You could also deactivate the DJConsole, and assign MIDI codes only to the buttons or sliders that you want to use...this way there could be no action for the crossfader, and you could assign knobs to effect plugins, etc... ;)

Just a thought... :)

macourteau

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 5:19 pm
true.. u can make some possible by doing midi..

If u enable midi, and disable console...
midi 39 (treble knob) can be asigned to effect >> effect_slider >> desk 1 >> value 4096

then u have a cool knob that will move the FIRST slider of any effect ;) pretty cool... (for desk 1)
BUT - there don't seem to be a way to asign, say midi 38 (medium knob) to second slider of any effect..

that could be possible if there was such a thing as "effect_slider2", I guess...

It works a lot better for SAMPLES, because there are commands as "sample_volume_1" to "sample_volume_12"

so, if you choose midi, and asign the EQ knobs like this:
midi 39 >> samples >> sample_volume_1 >> desk1 >> value 4096
midi 38 >> samples >> sample_volume_2 >> desk1 >> value 4096
midi 37 >> samples >> sample_volume_3 >> desk1 >> value 4096

RESULT : Eq knobs at deck1 at Hercules console are used to controll the volum sliders of the 3 first sample slots of vdj ;)

now, thats pretty cool ;)

Also.. doing all knobs and sliders like this will of course "disable" crossfader if u dont asign anything to that slider.. ;)

NOW, the big problem seems to be for nudge/scratch for jogwheel (midi 45 for deck1).
If u asign "turntable">>"nudge" (or "scratch") for that midi, you can not make it work BOTH ways...
U can asing a value (negative or positive) and it will work in the direction of the value.. but not in BOTH directions..

SO, thats a HUGE drawback using manual midi mapping...

It would be alot better if there was an easy to use mapper made from Dev Team, like for XP10... :)

Dj in norway

Posted Mon 30 Aug 04 @ 6:04 pm
Your idea's seems to be great but quite complicated...

Actually, I was thinking of an option that could disable the cross-fader, just like you have the option to switch between volume and pitch.

I'll try to change the MIDI parameters when I go back home this WE and I'll tell you about it. But an option would be so much easier... ;-)

Thanks a lot for your help and enjoy the mix !

Geoffroy

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 4:58 pm
totally agree Geoffroy

it would be ALOT easier of VDJ had a mapper for it ;)
for easy change of the un-asignable knobs/sliders (crossfader, eq)

It would be nice to see such an option in VDJ, as many users of Hercules connect it to external mixer.

Would be cool to:
- disable crossfader
- use eq knobs for effect sliders... .or
- use eq knobs for sample volume

;)

maybe the VDJ developers can implement this in future versions of the software

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 5:02 pm
Under no circumstance try to physically take the xfader out of the console, cutting the cables to the xfader will make it go to one side, not the center ! This is due the way the fader "works".

Posted Tue 31 Aug 04 @ 8:55 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)