Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Downloadable video services?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Looking for a downloadable video service?
What is your reason? To save money?

I always giggle when people fantasize about how much money they could save by if PromoOnly (et al) would offer downloadable, pick-and-choose videos because they would only buy what they need. What they don't realize is that the price of a particular video would have to be proportional to its popularity. Do you think PromoOnly pays the labels the same amount for every video? I doubt it. I am sure that not only do they pay more for certain proven hits, but they probably also have an agreement that they can only use those if they also show some other songs, bands, etc, that the label is trying to promote. In essence, they get paid to include those other 'filler' songs, and without them, the price of the DVD would have to be much higher. This means that downloading only the songs you want would end up costing alot more than getting the DVD with all the 'junk.'

That said, I have to admit that I don't recognize half of the stuff on my monthly PromoOnly DVD's and I'm not always sure whether it is because it is 'filler' or just because of the fact that I am getting older and find myself listening to talk radio alot more often than any self respecting DJ would ever admit to. To save myself from missing something, I rip it all... hey, hard drive space is cheap nowadays. It would be nice however, to be able to have a smaller library, yet still be assured of having everything I could reasonably need. I have often daydreamed about programs that could be written to go through my library and delete anything that has been there for a year or more without being played for at least 40 seconds. It may be worth the extra money to be able to get just what I need, but would it be worth the extra trouble to have to ensure that I didn't leave something out? Well until every venue has BroadBand wireless internet access, I will have to make those decisions ahead of time. How many times has someone come up and requested something that you never heard of, but with you type it in anyway, and you actually have it , and it's on your latest PromoOnly issue?

In conclusion, I think that the downloadable videos would be a great thing for the DJ with deep pockets, low disk space, and a thorough knowledge of every song as soon as it hits the streets, but for the rest of us, the DVD subscription, with all its glory and all its filler is still the best option.

*disclaimer: Much of what I state above is just an educated guess. I do not have any knowledge of what kind of deals the subscription services make with teh record labels, but I doubt it is much different than what I suggest.

Posted Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 4:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)