Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: iPod Videos and VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How will the new Mac version of VDJ handle videos made to play on iPods? Since the compression is temporal, will it effect VDJ's ability to scratch/jog the files? Is it possible to play iPod videos on the current Windows version? My initial research seems to be "no".

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 7:38 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hard to say it depends on how it handles the drm

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 7:58 pm
I probably should have been more specific. I rip and compress my own videos for play on my iPod, so DRM is not an issue. I'm just worried about performance and compatibility. Right now I've been using a VJ'ing software on my MacBook Pro that is simply horrendous. It stutters, pops and crashes frequently. From what I've researched, VDJ is what I've been waiting for. If the current Windows version can play iPod videos (meaning MPEG4 and/or H.264), I'll make the purchase and just run it in Bootcamp until the real deal comes out (Mac version).

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 8:21 pm
while i can say with pretty good confidence that all this stuff will be supported on the mac version "eventually", i can be pretty sure that all the features that everyone is asking for will not be available "on initial release". i think this is one of these features that i would feel more comfortable telling you to wait until it's released and see if the codec and required support for what you want to do is in there. i can be pretty sure that it will be supported if not on initial release, then eventually it will be.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 8:39 pm
What anewsome said x2.

rhettnificent wrote :
I'll make the purchase and just run it in Bootcamp until the real deal comes out (Mac version).

That's how Ive been doing it since last April. Works fine as long as you don't use an adapter for video output. DVI to DVI works fine.

"rhettnificent". That's an interesting name.

Where are you from? I know sbcGlobal covers Cerritos in California. Ever hear of the Beat Junkies? Just wondering if you're someone I know who's a HELLUVA turntablist and a VISIONARY, Up Above all others. ;)

If you're not him, then nevermind. =D

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 10:30 pm
interesting name indeed. i was thinking junkie too.

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 10:42 pm
anewsome wrote :
interesting name indeed. i was thinking junkie too.

Yeah, kind of too much of a coincidence since I've never met another Rhett, but if that really is his first name, then it's NOT the Rhett I'm thinking of because that's not his first name.

I'm wondering if it's Rhettmatic: http://www.beatjunkies.com/fusion/rhettmatic.html

If it is you Rhett (early 90's inside joke between us):

WE'RE GOING TO OLYMPIC GARDENS IN VEGAS AND EATING DENNY'S?!...Oh, DANISH! (darn Filipino accents)... ON THE BUS WITH THE REST OF THETA DELTA BETA!!!

WE'RE ALL TOGETHER, WE'RE ALL TOGETHER...!!! =P

But again, If you're not him "rhettinificent", then nevermind. =)

Posted Fri 23 Feb 07 @ 10:47 pm
No I'm not "Rhettmatic"... I am another "Rhett"... originally from Richmond, Virginia. I've been in Oakland for 5 years now and I'm new to the whole DJ scene. My background is in computer graphics and video post-production. I've been on a Mac since '97 and own 5 at the moment... my latest being a MacBook Pro.

I'm a bit of a "retro-guy" (movies, video games, music, etc.) and I frequent several 80's clubs in SF. Over the past year or so, I've noticed a movement in the 80's DJ community towards music videos. Makes perfect sense to me given the era we're talking about here. Seeing these old videos really adds to the whole energy of an 80's themed event, and I have noticed no downside to the dance-floor... if anything, these videos keep people dancing longer!

However, my problem with these party's has been with execution. From what I've seen, the "VJ's" are using two consumer-grade DVD players with some kind of cheap analog switcher that doesn't even cross-fade the video... pretty sloppy. Given my background with Macs and video, I figured I could do it better. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any real software (for Intel Macs) to support my theory. I've been using a terrible (for what I'm trying to do) beta software (should it remain nameless?) until something like VDJ for Mac comes along.

Bottom line is I'm a "newbie" and I'm not trying to wow people with "scratching" (although much respect to those who can). Right now I'm just trying to throw a killer 80's themed party with a non-stop dance-floor. Something which I've been going for several months now in Oakland (well, the dance-floor comes and goes... but I have had some REALLY good nights for the "venue"). The main thing holding me back now is software. I'm really anxious to have something solid for the Mac... not to mention having the flexibility to get a little more creative with my sets.

Selfishly, I'd like to see VDJ come out sooner than later, even in it's "unfinished" state, it's GOT to be better than what I'm using!

Posted Sat 24 Feb 07 @ 12:42 am
rhettnificent wrote :
No I'm not "Rhettmatic"... I am another "Rhett"...

I shot and I misssed. DAMN! =P

Good to have you onboard though Rhett. You'll like VDJ! =)

Posted Sat 24 Feb 07 @ 3:50 am
rhettnificent wrote :
I'm really anxious to have something solid for the Mac...

join the club.

Posted Sat 24 Feb 07 @ 5:54 pm
anewsome wrote :
rhettnificent wrote :

join the club.

Macs suck.

( I want to see if there's anyother ConQuest's out here that'll respond to that and start a huge Mac vs. windows flame-fest). ;)

p.s.
I'm hungover from last night anewsome. =P

Posted Sat 24 Feb 07 @ 8:51 pm
ConQuest wrote :
anewsome wrote :
rhettnificent wrote :

join the club.

Macs suck.

( I want to see if there's anyother ConQuest's out here that'll respond to that and start a huge Mac vs. windows flame-fest). ;)

p.s.

i got to work at noon today.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 1:45 am
anewsome wrote :
ConQuest wrote :
anewsome wrote :
rhettnificent wrote :

join the club.

Macs suck.

p.s.

i got to work at noon today.

I wrote that on Saturday morning.

The hangover was from when we went to V2O on Friday night. ;)

Posted Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 2:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)