Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Snap crackle and pops...! With laptops...!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

A message to all those who are having cuing, jumping, popping, problems... I was getting these problems myself using Laptops until i looked at the following 2 issues... 1. I have a wireless network card in my laptop.. Turn it off.... 2. I looked at the speed of my hard drive 4200rpm... this is not good for running audio programs. After i had a long chat with the guys at steinberg UK they informed me that when it comes to audio you can have the fastest laptop in the world, BUT if your hard drive is slow (4200rpm) you WILL have problems running audio applications.. The recommended speed for grabbing audio from a drive is 7200rpm.. As you know you wont find a 7200rpm drive for a laptop.. So i tried a changing my 4200rpm hard drive for a 5400rpm... HUGE difference when i run audio applications..

So for those that are having problems with there laptops look at what i have done and see if it works for you...! Keep me informed..!

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 10:22 am
What about an external HD holding the songs and running at 7200 rpm, will that make a difference?
Bryant

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 4:53 pm
External Hd's........There is a lot of debates on this subject. My advice is DO NOT use a usb external drive as this will only give you a transfer rate of 12mbits per sec...... Fire-wire external drive will give you a transfer rate of up to 400mbits p/sec "QUOTE" up to.. this depends on your laptop.. I have spoken to a lot of software developers on this subject and a lot of em say that you will still place some stress on your Laptop when using external drives. some say you don't. I say it's trail and error.. I have seen a few laptops stutter when using external drives, so i believe that if your using a 4200rpm internal drive you should really upgrade it to a 5400rpm drive.. and stick to a max of 120gb....Hope this helps you buddy. To be honest i think the industry should ditch 4200rpm drives as they are to slow for today's software.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 5:48 pm
With all your other programs, and empty required space for proper operation of swap files and defragmenting, etc, 100-120 Gbyte is hardly enough to keep the 10- 20 thousand songs that most of us have?

hmmm??? Now what?

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 5:58 pm
I reverted to ver. 3.4 without ever having that problem again.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 5:58 pm
Where can i get a copy off 3.4...?

Posted Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 7:15 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
fyew-jit-iv wrote :
Where can i get a copy off 3.4...?

contact support

Posted Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 8:24 pm
You CAN get 7200 RPM drives for laptops. The fastest in benchmarks is or was last time I checked, the Hitachi Travelstar. I have the 100GB version (7K100) and it kicks ass! One of the best performance upgrades I have ever made for a laptop.

Posted Sun 18 Feb 07 @ 3:30 pm
Aussie Dj... Is your 7200rpm drive internal..? if so what size is it and how much did you pay for it...?
And where did you purchase it from...? Cheers buddy..!

Posted Sun 18 Feb 07 @ 5:01 pm
mojo193PRO InfinityMember since 2006
please take 3.4 and make the record case bigger and call it a day

Posted Sun 18 Feb 07 @ 7:30 pm
AutyHome userMember since 2007
If you want a laptop with a nice quick disk, i just purchased a Alienware Aurora 9700 it has 2x100GB 7200rpm disks in it. They are in a raid 0 config so the data is sripped across the two disks. Gives you a nice 14400rpm eqiv disk :O). Only downside is that they are only in 17" screen. Makes VDJ look small on the screen. Does the standard black basic pro skin not have a higher res skin yet? Most laptops have 1280x800 and vdj is still at 1024x768 whcih only old laptops use. I know there are some others but they are not a clean.

Posted Mon 19 Feb 07 @ 5:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)