Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: need help from a computer wiz......

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

know any???????????????

I was hoping Norway, or Cel ,or cstoll or skyfxl could help.....

this isn't strictly a VDJ problem.......

before i had my laptop in the shop for a recovery it would rip plus play Traktor or VDJ (or both running) plus download all w/o probs........usually when i first clicked "Grab" in Audiograbber (my ripper) it would stutter just a second then rip and no audio probs after the little stutter.....

now it stops the audio during the read or rip part.......after it starts to encode the audio will kick back in.....i have tried turning off the antivirus, that made no difference.....also i am running even less processes/ services since i got it back from the repair (about 40 or 42) i haven't seen any irq conflicts and i just scanned with Alwil and Trend Micro's Housecall for viruses....i had 4 bits of adware which i eliminated........i have also done my once or twice daily reg clean and diskeeper defrag.......still the audio stops when audiograbber starts the rip........

strangely if i click on the header at the top of Audiograbber where you would click to move it when i do that Audiograbber stops and the music restarts??? I thought Audiograbber got screwed up so I uninstalled and reinstalled it.....still no help

the laptop is an HP pavilion dv5139us AMD Turion 64 bit vista capable 2 gigs ram OS is XP media center edition

the soundcard is a presonus firebox....

only time there are any problems is when i rip......
but, again, it used to rip and play just fine now it doesn't........

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 3:38 pm
coupla things......

those are the people i think of as computer gurus 'round here, if i left you off the list sorry

i just think of certain people in certain contexts, ya know ?

like, obviously when you think quiet diplomacy the first thought is "oh yeah, Con Quest"

or you think solid scientific research and the poo test would naturally come to mind.....

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 4:22 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 5:54 pm
uhh thanks i'll try it ....i know i have fraunhofer or audiograbber uses fraunhofer......what do you rip with if not audiograbber ?

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 6:03 pm
i dl'd the combo pack and separately i picked up the LAME will see if that's the problem.....

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 6:09 pm
that's not the problem i've used LAME ENC dll and Fraunhofer codecs, audiograbber still interferes with the audio.....anybody out there using audiograbber ??

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 6:48 pm
OS is XP media center edition

that might be part of the proformance issues you have been having media center os is garbage

it has problems supporting many devices and is none to stable.

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 7:38 pm
my primary and secondary ide channels were on pio, i changedthem to dma if available
the primary channel the transfer mode is ultra dma
the secondary channel is the problem i think....it says dma if available but instead of ultra dma it says multi word dma mode 2 ?? for the transfer mode
i tried to uninstall it and reboot to refresh but it won't change the transfer mode to ultra dma ?? if i leave it that way when i use audiograbber the system warns there's a problem shuts down and reboots ??

should i just disable the secondary ide channel?

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:04 pm
if you are not using it , yes

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:07 pm
how do i know if i'm using it ?

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:09 pm
if your using more than one hardrive adtional cd drives ect. you are

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:18 pm
should i update the driver on the secondary ide channel?

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:56 pm
windows should already have the latest

unless their is a specific set of files needed for your particular motherboards

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 8:58 pm
Question About Computers.
My friend has completley sold me on his virtual dj program so , being a D.J. for 6 years I'm ready to go into the digital world. I need help on diciding what computer components are a must. like the duo core intel processor 64 bit . what memory. so on It will be a lap top computer which will be only to handle the D.J. side of the business. help with what brand and parts before i buy one please. Love the forum very info packed. Help please..

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 10:09 pm
sky i tried the driver update and it couldn't find the drivers ????? i'm gonna take it to geek squad , i'm pretty certain if i can get the 2d channel on ultra dma transfer mode then i can be back even better then i had it b4 the restore......

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 10:25 pm
rhino you should check out some blogs, try coolionewb and xeon....i have a desktop and a laptop system,
i think you should definitely not get a laptop 'til you have more familiarity w/ digital pro audio.....remember i said this.....if you get a laptop you will get locked into things you can't easily change

Posted Thu 15 Feb 07 @ 10:33 pm
i fixed it Lucy !! I'm home 'n I'll esplain it !

DUH!DUH!DUH!

System restore DUH! i went back to 2 days b4 the recovery........ DUH !

i better get to Geico for my rate quote !

Posted Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 2:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)