Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Upgrading RAM

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

When I upgrade the RAM on my Vaio, does the new RAM strips have to match the old ones in any way (current RAM is DRAM)? I'm asking because if not then I only need to buy another 512 upgrade if so, I'll need a GB. Also, when I do make the upgrade, what else do I need to do after plugging it into the strips? Thanks;^]

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 2:53 am

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 5:38 am
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
crucial.com is a great place to start

it is indeed a good idea to have identical chips. optimal performance is if there's two of the same... comp's dont like it if u have 1 512 stick and 1 gig stick, etc.

crucial.com helped me a lot.. and then after finding what i needed, i hit up tigerdirect, newegg, etc as paulettcerra said

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 6:48 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
crucial or kingston memory is best

you get what you pay for in ram , and the more you spend the better the proformance

like most things with computers , cheap is cheap =)

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 12:26 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, turns out I may not need it as soon as I thought. I finished putting my gear/ software on my Vaio today and so far it's working great except for both decks getting noisy when I stop the TCV, strangly though it's pretty clear when the music is playing on decks, but I can just keep the faders down whiile there's no music playing on deck until I find a fix. Good thing about the RAM though, I need to buy new crossfader and needles next month so unless I run into more problems I'll wait a few months to upgrade my RAM;^]

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 10:48 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I wish there was an upgrade program to get RAM.
I want 2gb now, and I have 1gb. When I upgrade, will I have those two 512 sticks just sitting around?

I don't know if the brand matters, but I have an alienware laptop.

As far as ram does go, what should I go with for a brand name?
I have 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB

Posted Wed 07 Feb 07 @ 11:10 pm
Like someone said previously in the forum use crucial.com and have them run a check on your computer for ram. where it says what ram you have there will be some numbers and what kind of ram it is. that is what you need to look for when purchasing new ram. the scan will also tell you the maximum amount of ram your computer can handle. brand doesnt matter just what kind of ram it is. the best thing to do about the old ram is sell it to someone. or simply throw it away. good luck.

Posted Thu 08 Feb 07 @ 5:50 pm
Buying RAM is sort of like buying a car, except you CAN"T trade it in, huh.

Posted Fri 09 Feb 07 @ 7:36 pm
bryantpb wrote :
Buying RAM is sort of like buying a car, except you CAN"T trade it in, huh.

Well put..

Posted Sat 10 Feb 07 @ 10:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)