Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: is it the bling bling?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i've been debating this topic with my self for such a long time now.

is it the bling bling "holly ..ish, wow, that's some expensive piece of hardware you got there" that causes clients to not argue about the price?

is it that professional look that helps us get more gigs than the others?

is it that bad azz skin we show off, or do we actually use a skin that is deatiled and easy to use?

do you automatically have the right to double your price when you purchase 2 cd players and 1 mixer each over $1000USD

DJ Shahar
www.djshahar.com

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 6:29 pm
Depends on where you are Geographically and the client themselves.

Some clients are all about the slick apearance and will pay top dollar for the appearence of getting top dollars worth.

Others are all about bang for buck, they want the most for the best price(not nessesarily the cheapest)

Sometimes it's just a matter of location, If for example you are located in a major city and get hired at a resort area outside of town - Appearance might not matter but substance.

But most of the time...

Yes

It's all about the Bling Baby.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 7:16 pm
I agree with Marcel 1... I recently booked a wedding for March that I showcased bridal show last Jan. He wanted me based on looks of my eqp quality. Last wk he came to my club and to give me the contract and down payment. He kept looking over the DJ booth at my setup. At the time I was running TRAKTOR for my preshow. I baught his and fiance some drinks and a meal. When they came by to say goodbye, I was running the VDJ setup and he was very impressed how fast I was mixing and still was able to talk to guest that was coming up for request.

One dude came up for a request and by the time he got back to the dance floor I had it working in the mix. After I finished the high BPM set, he came over and gave me 20.00 because he has never seen a dj take a request put it in the mix before he made it back to his location....

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 7:30 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
You must be referring to this look.....

The lighting is a bit poor.

Its called the "jaw drop", but not sure whether it impresses people or not.
Almost like they expect it with the constantly improving technology, kinda like "so this is what is new"

I think when they see 3 video monitors running on the screen they do get pretty curious.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 8:28 pm
well till now i used to dj with the mk2, and laptop alone.

i got that denon 3500 cd player. it looks nice. and the disc actually spins.

has as hell to master the scratching technique though.

problem is.. should i or shouldn't i get some more expensive hardware to get people curious.

most importantly of all.

should i get carpeted or bling bling caughin?

in my opinion the bling bling is simply too much for weddings, but the carpeted ones don't bling bling.

so what do i do?

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 8:58 pm
Your worrying too much on technology and bling, bling as you say... last year, I did some freelance work for a DJ company who still uses Mini / CD combos... Private functions are not impressed with what as to what you can do for them... If you give them a light show ( if they want ) and good choice of music. They don't really care how much technology you have... they want a good show for the money spent...

I checked out your website ( music mixes ) how are you on oldies and 80s style music knowledge... If you looking to gain extra income for weddings... my suggestion is to gain as much knowledge for older party music. ( 80s, disco, some 70s ).

Weddings is just a big party for a variety of people and you are expected to know what and when. Learn the fav's for each decade and you will do fine musically. Remember, weddings goes beyond music knowledge... Find a local DJ and ask if you can assist in some there shows...

As far as clubs, I would have to say timing of how well you generate excitment in the crowd and how well you can rotate the floor is more important... Expensive EQP is nice, but what makes your music different from the last guy or the person down the street. ( how can you make me money )

After you learn, your reputation will demand BIG bucks.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:03 pm
2/01/2007

I agree that the setup has to look good. I makes the client feel that you are up to date as far as technology is concern.

When people see my setup that are amazed! Even local TV crew KTLA in Los Angeles where surprised my setup.

It's great to have VDJ for the fact of having all the music at your finger tips. All cue points and fast mixing. I also had a guy give me $50.00 becuase I found Salt and Pepa - Push It in only 2 seconds.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:50 pm
Don't get me wrong, keeping upgraded with todays standards is almost a must but to have your toys thats more expensive than the next is not a deal breaker in most cases.

How often are you going to come across a person who loves toys as much as you do.

Is that person going to stand next to you the whole time or is the show focused you ( DJ )

What is the standard? Computer based, digital turntable, mp3 - cds vs high end cd player, video...

Does the client know what any of the EQP does just looking at it or knows what is sounds like in a party function.
knowledge is power backed with experience supported with eqp.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 11:17 pm
I agree...

Let's be real, marketing and how you sell your services to your clients is key in the music industry. If you're a Dj, Producer, Musician, Turntablists, how you sell your experience and skill in providing music can sometimes determine what type of gig you get.

On that note, I've learned something about Dj culture and music the last few months. There is this phenomenon of folks spending thousands of dollars for equipment and records, then believing that this will make them superstar Dj's or that this will make their mixes sound good. That somehow, using Virtual Dj or any PC mixing software is cheating...

I encountered this last night at an event I was attending. When I told the Dj that I used Virtual Dj, he looked at me funny and told me that this software was no good. He was telling me this as he used Serato Scratch. Keep in mind that as I further politic with him, I discovered that he had never actually used Virtual Dj. I walked away, listening to him prepare for his set as he had one of his mix tapes playing in the room. For all his talk, his mixtape that was playing had no blends, no transitions, and the Dj was literally stopping and starting from track to track to mix! Trash! How can someone call themselves a Dj, have all this fancy equipment and not even know how to mix? Yet, in this new era where some folks believe that toys make the Dj, we will continue to see this.

Yes, the fancy equipment does look good but skills will always go further if you know how to use the software. Spend the money on getting a kick ass laptop, mastering your skills, and developing a professional website/marketing package if Djing is what you want to do professionally full time. Keep in mind, that you will always get the haters who think Virtual Dj is a joke.

Maybe we should recommend that we change the name of Virtual Dj to something that is more menacing. LOL!

Cuidate!
Virtual Dj Batibiri

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 12:19 am
I call it my own. my skin, no advertisement. unless you know of vdj, you won't be able to tell it's what i use.

on that note, if yo ucall it vdj and some one says "so what" you can reply "video disc jockey. i scratch the cd, it scratches the video."

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 5:10 am
I got a gig where there was allready a dj on the spot. We had only CDs to play. When it came to mixing I was able to do studio style remixes LIVE! and he said to me,.... so thats where the bad ass mix cds come from!

The sampler, the effects, VDJ. By far the best tool for any DJ

Posted Mon 05 Feb 07 @ 4:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)