Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ vs BPM Studio

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am a user of BPM Studio, but have recently been playing with the new trial version of VDJ 4.0 and would consider buying it.

Can anyone advise if the time coded vinyl works well and if you can install VDJ on more than one machine? The reason I ask this is because I have a custom built machine permanently installed in the club booth for the weekends, I have the 00DJ for during the week, plus a backup laptop in case of emergency.

BPM is handy because you can have it on as many machines as you like, but can only run one copy at a time due to it's dongle. I know PCDJ can only be on one machine, and it also needs internet access to authenticate which would prove another problem due to the fact that only my backup laptop has internet access.

Can anyone advise if I'm going to run into problems?

Many thanks

Posted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 4:28 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
time code rocks use it alot ;)

you can install it on two machines but no more at one time

there is no dongle or internet activation just your common sense :)

Posted Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 10:40 am
here are my 2 cents

---The Ups---
VDJ can learn midi commands, so any controller works.
a ..ish load of features
video control galore.
Best "beat match" on the planet
Time coded cd's: hell yea.
lots of plugins,
fast response from tech support
no hardware conection needed to execute software
lots of skins to choose from
you can build your own skin easily.
assign any command to the keyboard
browse music like windows explorer
add your request for a new feature in the forum and it might happen.
a forum made for us vdj users.
multiple instances

---The Downs---
There is no one specific hardware designed for vdj.
the tech support for the highly used hardware, hecules mk2, are retarted
I hear time coded vinyls are a pain to work with.

hope this helps.

DJ Shahar
www.djshahar.com

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 6:38 am
ve2fgsHome userMember since 2005
Hint:

Don't let go your BPM...

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 8:36 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hint for hint
don't let go your BPM just take it to a museum for the previous century technology, yes is stable, yes has a very good controller but doesn't scratch, doesn't play video and has the most boring double resolution skin with a limited browser plus lacks support and is overpriced for a so so master tempo, and the list can go on and on and on, why do you think that they failed on the American market...

Posted Sat 03 Feb 07 @ 9:37 am
ve2fgsHome userMember since 2005
Scratch ? Video ? What else ?

How about just playing music without having problems ? I'm not a basement DJ, I am a professional DJ and cannot afford problems in the middle of the night. I don't care if a software succeeded in the "Great American Market", I need a software that works PLAYING MUSIC. That's the reason why I still stick with BPM.

Posted Sun 11 Feb 07 @ 6:40 am

Posted Sun 11 Feb 07 @ 1:58 pm
I owned both of them, in fact I started on BPM Studio and I used them together for a while, but as soon as I got comfortable with VDJ I sold my BPM and the controller which can't be used for any other soft. At first I had little problems with the VDJ console version, but after upgraded toVDJ Pro and tuned my laptop, VDJ 3.4 never failed me and I do long gigs about 8 hours with intense searching and pre listening in an 80gigs mp3 database, so I can guarantee you that you get a pro soft as stable as BPM, anyway by today I can't say the same about the new VDJ ver 4.2 but I'm convinced that the new release will fix the problems and hopefully the Windows Vista will stay stable enough. Now for VDJ 4.2 and upper in order to work smoothly you will need a top performance PC with core duo and lots of memory, good video card and a fast hard drive, in fact some new laptops now come with two hard drives which is a big plus.
Now anybody could try the Vdj and see its capabilities.
Anyway maybe Vdj people should still sale the version 3.4 for Windows XP Pro, just for pro Djs that only want to play music without headaches, or maybe they will develop a bootable pro version of VDJ
DjLex

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 2:22 am
check my blog to read how to make vdj load only on boot ;)

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 2:25 am
Simon,
is a lot of great info on your blog and would be useful for many, great job!
Now I was implying about a version of VDJ which doesn't need an OS like a VDJ machine, probabily we will see some of that in the feature , it looks like this is the trend with all the usb and hdd controllers

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 4:03 am
yes that would kick arse , but it would have to be some sort of linux

and be built into a special touchscreen controler or somthing but with that the posibilities would be endless :)

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 12:11 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I used to sell BPM Studio, and I still have a couple of copies sitting and collecting dust. I though it was great five years ago when version 4 came out, and it seemed fairly stable and worked like a nineties-era Denon Dual CD Player.

At the time, the RCP controllers were the bomb as well.... however I have become more than tired of AlcaTech's continually empty promises to release version five within six months (since 2002 or so).

I was gigging with BPM one weekend away from home, and BPM crashed about three times on me. I knew I needed ANYTHING else for the next night, because I was at the end of my rope. I had tried VDJ, but wasn't sure about it because there were a few issues, and its default skin at the time made it look like a kids toy... but I bought it, learned it, and became more and more impressed with what it could do. Most of the issues have since been resolved in new versions, and I find VDJ very stable (although when doing weird abnormal things, I have occasionally had a soft-crash where the song played to the end, but I had to restart after that.

Since then, I've made my own skin, and have played with some really slick customizations for keyboard shortcuts, and am looking forward to trying some new extensible MIDI controllers that will totally blow away the RCP controllers. (You can NOT use the Alcatech controllers for anything else... what a waste of money!)

Not only that, but it was all a fraction of the price... I got a great deal when I bought VDJ because the price has gone up after the release of new versions to fit in with what other competing products cost.

So... yeah, BPM really offers no advantages over virtualDJ I'd say. Get VDJ, and you'll be happy once you learn to use the software and customize it to fit your needs.

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 7:37 pm
The main reason I got BPM Studio Pro was because at the time it was the most stable and reliable software available . I was also used to using Denon dual cd players so the RCP 2001a controller was very similar to the denon controllers. However, because of the arrogance and lack of custumer support for us in the United States I decided to move on. I since then was fortunate to sell my BPM Studio pro with the RCP controller because I no longer had any use for it. I now am using VDMX Discomix and it very stable and have not have any crases as of yet. I do like the features in Virtual DJ and I am considering on purchase a license. Still evaluating my options.
I just don't like the fact that there is only customer support via the forum. no live contacts available via telephone. I have that with VDMX.
DJ Angel S

Posted Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 8:01 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)