Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The internal database of my virtual dj console is currupt...how do i fix this???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I purchased the virtual dj console a few months ago and it had been working fine. One day i go to open it and an error message pops up saying that the internal database is corrupt. Then i find that all the settings had been erased and the virtual dj console is unable to store any settings/information. How can i fix this??? do i just have to redownload the program?? plz help!!

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 6:07 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
just delete the internal database file, then either restore a backup of the file if you have made one or just restart the program and it will create a new one.

only problem with the second one is that you will have to re scan all your files and will have lost all bpms and comments etc...

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 7:25 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Well I just loaded 201 and got the same message.
If you are telling me that I have lost all my comments, bpms and have to rescan my whole collection I am going to be pissed guys, this is BS. This happened to my back up and I thought it was a machine issue.

There has to be a way to recover this info.

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 8:57 pm
That would be kinda 'not good', to do it all over. What I would try (but I've never experienced such an error yet) is at least back up (rename) the current database file, and have vdj2 create a new one (rescan just one song or so). Then try to replace the new database file with the backup (a copy) you just made.

I would go from there. If that not works, I would examin (open) the database file to see if there was something obvious with it.

Sounds kinda lame, but it beats losing all data.

I can imagine that in writing the xml by the program, something little goes wrong and he doesn't get to finish writing to it on a specific song, and by reading it back later it gives the error. Such an error could be easily corrected in notepad.

If that's the case...

By the way, if you have a backup machine, just copy the database file from there... that would solve it too :)

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 9:10 pm
Ok,
So back to 1.09 I go and I still have all my file data that took hundreds of hours to key in from PCDJ files back where they belong thank you very much.

And 1.09 is where I will stay untill you guys can offer an update that doesn't wipe out my sensative files.

This is exactly the reason that I NEVER install and run an update blindly out of the gate. Again I installed 2.01 on my back up to check it out first.
Then this AM I mistakenly installed 2.00 and couldn't even get the program to open!

Am I the only one that experienced this loss?

How the hell can we go from so perfect to this kind of mess guys, I just am shocked by this. And the advice listed above by zero is not what I call a solution at all.
Have you got any idea how long it takes to repair the bad bpm calculations made by VDJ in the first place?
I have a data base approaching 25k files, think about it.................

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 9:16 pm
Have you tried backing up your 1.09 database and when its corrupted in 2.01 then copy the backup into the vdj folder?

This has worked for me before in the past when its happened

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 9:48 pm
In my VDJ folder I have several internal data base folders. Two of them are labeled as "backup" one for 1.08 and one for 1.09. Another one is just labeled "internal data base".

If I had to guess the last one was just created by 2.01 and when the update loaded it takes the active internal data base and retags it as the "back up database". My back up has no such back up in the folder however, which prevents me from going back to restore my sensative file info. This back up machine was loaded all the way back to 1.06 if I remember right, so where are the files?

Please explain how this works with respect to retiring active data base files, if that is what is happening.

What do I need to do to get the 2.01 version to see the 1.09
data base file?

Thanks for the reponces and pardon my head ache...........

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 10:35 pm
have you made a manual backup of the database so you know its the current one?

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 10:39 pm
I didn't create this back up in the folder. I will make a back up and save it.
What do I need to do to get 2.01 to read this without calling it corrupt?

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 10:56 pm
not sure try backing it up then installing, if you get the error just overwrite the database with your backup, see if that sorts it

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 10:59 pm
Thanks,
I will have to try it later, but I will get back to you on this.
The funny thing is I have to deal with this same thing with my Video program, Tricerasoft Elite, it also wipes out the data base info with my notes and the preferrence settings etc...when updating.
That is tomorrows project, if the program just knew to leave it alone things would be better, and safer for us.

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 11:07 pm
Well to be honest you are the only user (that i know of) thats having such troubles

Posted Mon 16 Aug 04 @ 11:10 pm
Update:
With the help of Cyder, I found my 1.09 internal database tagged in a way that 2.01 would not read. All I had to was eliminate the v1.09 backup from the file tag and 2.01 and eliminate the one the install created and it read the data base fine. I seemed to have lost some of my bpms in some groups for some reason though. Fortunately I put the bpm in with the title tag now so I just type it in.

Nice job on the 2.00 skin Fruit, thank you again.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 04 @ 10:31 pm
Well here we go again guys, I had a double this weekend and both times I got the same error, "Data Base Corrupt".
This system worked flawlessly with all prior versions, and when I remove the XML folder from the VDJ program files my data base shows up perfectly.
Something is screwed, I have reloaded the program with no luck and support has not resonded to my email, however my last post my have indicated the problem was solved.
Has anybody else has this error show up?
I have this on my back up without the error.
The answer lies somewhere out there. I have a 10 day road trip coming up with gigs on each side of the MB show and no internet access. I really need to clear this up this week somehow.
Thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 5:11 pm
Here is another clue, when I click ok on the error the resolution changes on my desktop to much larger icons, then the program loads up after a delay and a black screen for a moment.
Anybody got any ideas?

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 9:23 pm
hi rick... i can understand your frustration...

it kinda hard reading your post, so let me ask a few questions..
(1) U get the error message, vdj starts, after a few strange screen behaviours.. ok. BUT, is the database REALLY corrupt?? because i have had that error message, WITHOUT the database really being corrupt..
It seems there are some WRONG error messages around in vdj 2.01.. The screen flickering seems more of a error in graphic card settings.. (reinstall drivers & directx)

if the database is not REALLY corrupt, RESCAN all files from "database" inside vdj (right click "database", and choose scan hd) - this will rebuild the mp3database.txt that I somehow suspect to be problem sometimes, because you have moved mp3s manually, external harddrive, mp3s on cd's etc

even - DELETE the mp3database.txt (perfectly safe) - restart vdj, and do the same... scan harddrive to rebuild

see if the error message is gone....

---------
(2) the database IS corrupted...

ok, the question is then, do you have an intact working 1.09 version of the database?? u seem to have vdj 1.09 running as well... does all seem fine there???
the 1.09 database is called : "virtualDJ Internal Database" (NO fileending)

OK, reading your posts, it seems that this database is ok...

DO THIS:(close vdj first)
(1) have that working 1.09 database in backup
(2) DELETE both the "mp3database.txt" AND the "VirtualDJ Database.xml"
(3) copy the 1.09 database to vdj main folder and start vdj(this will rebuild the xml database)
(4) rescan your hardrive from inside vdj (choose "database" - and "scan hd") - this will rebuild your "mp3database.txt"

does that work???

LAST OPTION:
(1) backup working version 1.09 database
(2) uninstall vdj
(3) restart pc - and reinstall vdj
(4) copy database 1.09 into main folder
(5) start vdj (builds the xml database)
(6) scan database (builds the mp3database.txt)

thats should at least work fine ;)

hopefully... ;)

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 9:51 pm
What resolution you use for normal windows?
What skin you use?

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 10:21 pm
exactly walkers... good point :)

having windows in different resolution than VDJ, and starting VDJ up in full screen mode, in different resolution.. that will cause the exact flickering and screen pops at startup, that u describe.. :)

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 10:32 pm
My screen resolution is 1024X768 and I was using Fruits' V2[1].00:Pioneer2 skin.
The resolution only changes momentarily then goes back to normal.
On my back up machine (2.01) when I open the program and it blacks out 3 times trying to open then it is fine. the other thing I notice with my back up is that it takes a long time to move from one group/folder to another, is this normal? I am running a Sony Vaio P4@2,8 w/512 ram. Seems like things have really slowed down since I last used this machine live.

Remember now that this baby was flawless prior to 2.0 and 2.01.
I have reinstalled 1.09 and all is just the way it was and runs flawlessly.
I have many playlists that I do not want to lose through an uninstall, or by error, but again everything was great prior to this update. I assume if I uninstall, that copying/saving my playlist file will protect them for reinstallation later.
Do I need to do a registry scan along with the uninstall?

When I look at my files I am missing all the BPM, track time and comment fields that I have created in the last year.

Having not heard anything from support yet makes me wonder what I am onto here, or if anybody has an answer.
Thanks for the help guys,
Rick

Posted Mon 23 Aug 04 @ 11:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)