Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Crashing with directX - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hello,

I had installed VDJ 4.2 and 3.4 on my PC. After updating my directX (and doing some other stuff on my PC, so I can't prove what went wrong), I got an error message about my directX. I could open a track in my decks but they couldn't be played. Not knowing what to do, I did uninstall and reinstall VDJ 4.2.

Now I had 3 icons on my desktop, and none of them worked (still got the directX error message). So now I removed all VDJ versions off my PC, and cleaned my registry.

After installing VDJ 4.2, everything worked normal again.

So what's the moral of this story? Kids, what did we learn today?

1. Always make backups.
2. If you've got 2 or more versions of VDJ on 1 PC, and you uninstall just 1 version, realize that your other version is messed up too, because some files are shared, and 2 versions of VDJ are always entwined.
3. Always make backups.
4. Clean your registry (do it manually with regedit, or use the VDJ Registry key removal, found on the plugin/external tool page). Reinstalling VDJ without cleaning your registry doesn't guarantee that the problem has disappeared.
5. Euh, did I mention to make backups? (database files, FX, skins, YOUR SERIAL NUMBER,you name it...).

I hope this could be a little help for you :o)

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 12:23 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Did you ever check your Sound Card settings in VDJ? Before just ripping everything apart?

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 12:51 pm
cstoll wrote :
Did you ever check your Sound Card settings in VDJ? Before just ripping everything apart?

Yes, I did. Nothing was changed, and the songs didn't even start. If my settings weren't correct, the songs would play and I wouldn't here anything. But as I stated, I changed a lot of other things on my PC and I don't blame VDJ. I blame myself ;). I just like to mess things up.

BTW: this post wasn't a complaint, I hope te be helpful for people who encounter the same problems. Everything is now back to normal because I made backups. With backups, reinstalling is a piece of cake, and uses sometimes less time than searching for one tiny setup problem.

My post wasn't ment sarcastic or so. VDJ is the top. And all tools for backing up your database, cleaning your registry,... are just a click away on this site.

Posted Tue 23 Jan 07 @ 1:09 pm
Sorry if you took my post that way. I was just offering/asking some questions. Everythings cool, sorry if I miss read your initial post.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 1:57 am
cstoll wrote :
Sorry if you took my post that way. I was just offering/asking some questions. Everythings cool, sorry if I miss read your initial post.

I didn't take your post that way, I just wanted to express my gratitude. Maybe I did it a bit clumsy, sorry...

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 2:01 am
all cool.......!

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 2:04 am
Did you run both versions out of the same "VirtualDJ" folder?
If not, precisely how did you do it.

I run both versions as well.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 2:53 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
rename one of the exe

but it is more advisable to have two folders

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 11:40 am
bryantpb wrote :

If I remember correctly, the installation soft proposed a second folder by itself. But after installation I frequently renamed the folders myself, because I wanted to install different sound FX in both versions.

Example: If "virtualDJ" (standard folder) contained VDJ 4.2 and I wanted to install a effect in the VDJ 3.4 folder, I had to rename folders, and make VDJ 3.4 the standard folder. But I guess by renaming manually, the windows registry got confused ;).

There was no other option than renaming, because some 3.4 sound fx are not installable in 4.2 (getting a message about 'virtualDJ folder not found'). It's a disadvantage of the FX being exe files; you can't choose your destiny folder.

So my solution: Making backups of the FX folders, after you installed them once (containing all zip files) and after reinstalling VDJ manually replace the zip files.

I didn't consider that this topic would get so much reaction, but it's nice. Thank you all for advice.

But I keep repeating that I messed it up myself, and that there's nothing to blame VDJ. I like to experiment on my PC. I try to fix things, even if they are not broken ;o)

Now I have made a backup of the pre-installed fx folders, and renaming isn't anymore necessary. Just manually copy the FX folders.

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 3:05 pm
bryantpb wrote :

Have you ever uninstalled just one version? How did it went with the other one?

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 4:14 pm
Right now, I have VDJ3.4 in a folder called "VirtualDJ", and 4.2 is in a folder called "VirtualDJ4".
When I want to use VDJ4.2, I have to rename the "VirtualDJ" folder to VirtualDJ3". Then I rename the "VirtualDJ4" folder to "VirtualDJ". And in both folders I have the effects subfolders for both versions.

When I use the program it always looks for everything in a folder called "VirtualDJ". That is why i rename before any startup, if required.

But what's really weird is that when I install visual effects from the little install files, the effects automatically go into the 3.4 folder, even if it is not named "VirtualDJ".

Does this make any sense to you, or to anyone else. How do others handle double folders easier than this. I would love to know?

Pleaase comment.

P.S. I have not tried to uninstall one of those versions....YET!!???!

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 7:41 pm
bryantpb wrote :
Right now, I have VDJ3.4 in a folder called "VirtualDJ", and 4.2 is in a folder called "VirtualDJ4".
When I want to use VDJ4.2, I have to rename the "VirtualDJ" folder to VirtualDJ3". Then I rename the "VirtualDJ4" folder to "VirtualDJ". And in both folders I have the effects subfolders for both versions.

When I use the program it always looks for everything in a folder called "VirtualDJ". That is why i rename before any startup, if required.

But what's really weird is that when I install visual effects from the little install files, the effects automatically go into the 3.4 folder, even if it is not named "VirtualDJ".

Does this make any sense to you, or to anyone else. How do others handle double folders easier than this. I would love to know?

Pleaase comment.

So, if I understand you right, you have to rename your folders everytime you want to switch versions. That can be fixed, and it isn't even difficult.

Go to the folder containing VDJ 4 and make a link from virtualdj.exe to your desktop. Then, on your desktop rename it to 'virtual dj 4' or whatever you like. Do the same in your folder of VDJ 3 (make a link to desktop) and rename to 'virtual dj 3'.

Now you have 2 icons refering to different folders.

Now you have 2 icons on your desktop that look the same, but with a different name. Now you can open VDJ 3 and VDJ 4 without renaming. You could even open them at the same time, however this is useless.

Hope it works, if not, write it here and our search goes on... :o))

Posted Wed 24 Jan 07 @ 9:05 pm
hey thanks for the help guys. i cleaned out the registry and reinstalled virtual DJ and everything was fine. thanks again

Posted Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 8:22 pm
Damian1499 wrote :
hey thanks for the help guys. i cleaned out the registry and reinstalled virtual DJ and everything was fine. thanks again

I posted this a bit randomly; but if anyone can use this as a help, I'm very glad.

Posted Wed 31 Jan 07 @ 8:47 pm
manducator,
That was the first thing I did, but it did not work at all. It always went to the folder named "VirtualDJ" regardless; sort of a registry thing you need to workaround, which is renaming everytime you load one
or the other.

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 5:39 pm
bryantpb wrote :
manducator,
That was the first thing I did, but it did not work at all. It always went to the folder named "VirtualDJ" regardless; sort of a registry thing you need to workaround, which is renaming everytime you load one
or the other.

Well, I don't know what to say, obviously you did something wrong, cause I can use both versions on 1 PC. Maybe this is something for the more skilled user (than me) for writing a mini-tutorial?

Posted Thu 01 Feb 07 @ 10:00 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
bryantpb wrote :

Pleaase comment.

You can't directly modify the folder like that. You have to do it with the full install file as there is a key in the registry to link to the exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\VirtualDJ\\
"HomeFolder" for VirtualDJ v4.x
"Home folder" for VirtualDJ v3.x

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 11:59 am
Okay, thanx, cel, but what do I do when I need to install some of the effects (some require double-clicking on their exe files)? Where will they end up?

I ask this because I want some to go to 4.2r1 only and some to 3.4 only.

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 1:57 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
By default the plugins .exe will install in the VirtualDJ v4.x folder
So you have to copy your dlls then in the other folders

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 2:47 pm
Also, exactly what do you mean you have to do it with the full install file?

there are two full install files involved: 3.4 and 4.2, they will attempt to put both in a "VirtualDJ"
folder.

Please tell me exactly what to do from scratch once I do a complete uninstall on both and a VDJ regclean as well. I'm gonna begin at the beginning here? Thank you for helping.

Posted Fri 02 Feb 07 @ 3:02 pm
91%