Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DJ Console optical in and the XBOX.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Not Virtual DJ related this one but I can't find help anywhere in this one.....

I wish to connect my XBOX optical out to the optical in on my DJ Console so I can get full surround sound with both movies and games.

Should work okay but there is no sound coming out.....any ideas as to why and how I can get it to work?

It seems that the optical in only works when you are recording so have I got to do something to activate the input or is there a way to have it passively on permanently so it just works when I plug the XBOX in?

Any help would be appreciated and I'm sure there are a few people who would like to do this

Thanks

Posted Wed 11 Aug 04 @ 1:59 pm
One way to do this would be to find a software that lets you monitor (listen to it on the speakers) the record inputs (don't forget to choose the "optical in" in the Hercules mixer)...

However, I don't know if you can get 5.1 sound like this.

macourteau

Posted Wed 11 Aug 04 @ 2:24 pm
SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thought so - thanks.

I would have thought that you could just plug any digital audio source into this and it would work. I have a nice audio setup connected to my Laptop and it would be nice to just be able to plug in the Xbox and go - the console is sold with optical in functionality after all!

I would think that this could be an issue for people with Minidisc's etc as they may just want to listen to music or incorporate it into a live mix and if you could just plug it in (DAT or minidisk etc), it would add great functionality to the console.

Anyone know of a plugin, fix, or program that may make this work?

Posted Wed 11 Aug 04 @ 2:46 pm
Just wanted to let you know that the situation is the same with other inputs too... at least the RCA line-in. With line-in you can't even hear the sound when you are recording it. I asked about this from Hercules and if I remember correctly, they said that nothing can be done about this with driver updates either.

I just can't imagine what the engineers have thought when they have implemented this kind of line-in behaviour...

Posted Wed 11 Aug 04 @ 8:28 pm
Any chance there's an update to this problem? I mean, did anyone figure out how to use the optical in on the dj console with the xbox? Any software to monitor the inputs? Thanks

I didn't hear my xbox game even when recording in virtual dj with any recording setting. Did set hercules recording to optical.

Posted Tue 21 Jun 05 @ 10:19 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
How about attaching the DJ Console to your XBox? I am of course assuming you have a hacked XBox and an adapter to allow you to attach a USB device. I'm not sure how you would change the sound output to use the DJ Console, but I'm sure it is possible.

Posted Thu 23 Jun 05 @ 5:25 pm
No, I don't have a hacked Xbox ;) Just the regular one... And I assume that when I put it in dolby digital mode in the xbox audio menu, it will send a signal to the optical out port on the advanced scart cable. So when I plug it in the dj console in the optical in port, it should recognise it and give me some sound. But it doesn't.

Are all the inputs on the dj console only activated on recording with certain software? I'm not that technical, but if it is, could hercules change (fix) that with a software update?

I'm sure somebody has succesfully conntected his (her) xbox to the dj console, would he/she please stand up? ;)

Posted Fri 24 Jun 05 @ 12:00 pm
Sorry people, you are way off on the wrong trail.. This will not work and without sounding to much like a nerd i will tell you why.

When you connect normal speakers to a computer or other audio device that has phono connections, the signal is basically variations in power (anologue), which look like waves. ( basically like an audio file )
When the power hits the magnet inside the speaker, the magnet releases different pulses ( basically strong power, something load and weak power, something quite ) but with digital, you do not send the same information down the line. when you use a device that produces 7.1 channels of audio, (without going into too much detail ) all 7 channels of audio are sent down the line at the same time. The problem is that you have to have a device at the recieving end that is able to sort this mess out and split all 7 channels and send the correct signal to the correct speaker. And basically the hercules mixer was not built to use the xbox, so it doesnt have a clue what to do with the signal it is recieving, therefore it does nothing and that is why you hear no sound.

Holy Shit, i sound like a right computer freak, ( now would be a good time to say that i actually studied for two years in the production of music ) but i hope this helps in some way.

Regrads, DJ MICK_c

Posted Sat 25 Jun 05 @ 12:09 am
Cool, thanks dj mick c! Very clear now, great to got some insight into the matter, and to get a clear answer: the dj console and xbox just don't work together, so I stopped trying. Instead I installed my Soundblaster Live card properly again, and connected the xbox to it's optical in port. Now it does work!

So thanks again for clearing this up and educating us along the way...

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 3:21 am
in addition to dj_mick_c's story:

As far as i know, the herculesconsole optical input can only handle 2 channels, not 5.1.

here's a quote from the hercules site:

2. What are Hercules DJ Console’s audio sampling rates? [ top ]

Hercules DJ Console has 2 sampling modes:

WDM sampling: hardware sampling up to 16-bit/48KHz; other formats (24-bit/96KHz) are software interpolation.
ASIO 2.0 sampling: 2 input/4 output hardware sampling at 24-bit/48KHz; 2 input/6 output at16-bit/48KHz..

This info tells, it can handle only 2 channels for sampling.

Btw: I also managed to add a dolby-digital coax (cinch) output to my Xbox.
It doesn't have to be "mod-chipped" to add a coax-connector yourself. I works just as good as an optical output would do (advanced AV-pack) i tried both there's no difference and it saves you 30 bucks for an advanced AVpack ;)

have a look @ www.xbox-scene.com for tutorials how to do it yourself.

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 4:29 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)