Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Rap Beef ????? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A world would be a better place without it.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:11 pm
well said.....i constantly am asking myself if it's time to "lose" the promo only urban (even though it's edited) because ......of course, since it's edited , there's always some immature person available to complain about the fact that it's not the hardcore version........which makes you re-evaluate whether to have it at all.......and yes the really slow bpm's are a definite mood killer if you ask me....

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:11 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ho hum dont reali like rap

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:22 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Speaking of sheep or was it beef? lets say Sheep for the benefit of my point. One thing I really really hate about commercial clubs and young music fans in general..

The whole "If I haven't heard it before then it's a shit song" Argghhh can you feel the pain? You get your monthly disc, you play the latest Pussycat dolls or The Game or Gwen Stefani (or whatever) and no one feels it because they've never heard it before! Because MTV and local radio stations haven't yet murdered it for weeks and therfore the public haven't been brainwashed yet, it's a crap song.

As a music enthusiast I find this extremely annoying, Play me any song, I can tell you within seconds if I like the hooks or not, it's my personal musical opinion/taste, but the sheep, they need MTV to tell them it's good.

Really we shouldn't buy promo CDs or seek out fresh hits, just buy "The best urban hits of 2006" or "now dance 2007" you'll save money and you wont face this frustration, the problem is you'll die of boredom, nah stick to the promo CDs.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:36 pm
yes i feel ur pain on that one

it anoys me soo so much

when some one says that

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:37 pm
2 months later they'll all like it. i never rap beef i just put it in a ziplock....i'm about 5 trillion years old and i will give practically anything at least one try......but the young uns are too busy frontin' in the hood to like anything new until a few others do also......do your own thing as long as you conform?

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 8:45 pm
well....it's not really promo's fault that they are ahead of the curve....yeah mtv and the local stations beat the hell outta tracks....the mind numbing repetition of what are very repetitive tracks is suffocating. remember the hideous boy bands.....all the songs had a false ending at about 2 1/2 minutes....then they' d just start back at the beginning and repeat it all????? lol honestly bring back the 60's and 70's and 80's....at least the artists and labels would stick their necks out and try new things

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 9:07 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
That is dead nuts on my friend.

Having wondered the same thing, I thought it might be the labels controlling things.
If you want a contract you give the labels what they want or you don't get signed.
Right now the clubbin', thuggin', pimpin'. screwin', pulvic and ass pumpin' shit is what is selling tracks.

But then we factor in the copy new cat tracks from the disco and classic years and the whole picture comes up pretty lame.

It does go back to balls and talent like never before, and few have either lately.

Even funnier is the HH and Rap artists who won't stand alone.
It's this one featuring this one, and that one and this one and that one, a tagging nightmare.

I like shit that puts a smile on kids faces and makes people enjoy themselves regardless of my personal tastes in music.
I am from the disco years and at first struggled to play urban and rap, but giving them what they want is what I get off on, and I enjoy it much more now.

When the walk into the dance and give me that "oh shit how old is he" look and then leave me alone for the evening, I guess I am playing the right stuff.

So I am more inclined to listen to the beat and not the lyrics in most cases despite the suggestive content particularly with videos.

Music evolves constantly, so its bound to change over time, just not fast enough for some of us.

Many of us learned to hate the disco years, and then it grew on us.
I suspect the same will happen with HH and Rap.

Posted Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 11:08 pm
djnutzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
The vast majority of hip hop and rap is incomprehensible, idiotic and pointless. Most of it consists of an illiterate moron slaughtering the English language over stolen music. That's why most of these songs have a shelf life of 3 minutes. It boils down to whether or not the "borrowed" beat or melody is used by an artist with a real musical talent, I.E. not a no talent ass clown with silver teeth, poor grammar and "the world owes me everything because of my skin color" attitude.

Grow up
Learn to play an instrument
Learn to sing
Contribute something to society in the form of music with substance
BE A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL

or take your thug lifestyle and attitude crawl back into the hole you came out of.

Last night I had a lady ask for hip hop. I asked for a song title or artist and she said she doesn't know any specifically, she just wants hip hop. It's the millions of brainwashed consumers like her that keep this $hit from getting flushed down the toilet.

And on a related note, I'm in Iowa (aka rural America) and if I get one more school dropout trying to get me to play his cd "cause he's the next big thing" I'm gonna take that cd and shove it up his ass, give him $2, and tell him to go and buy a friggen clue.

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 12:42 am
djnutz wrote :
The vast majority of hip hop and rap is incomprehensible, idiotic and pointless. Most of it consists of an illiterate moron slaughtering the English language over stolen music. That's why most of these songs have a shelf life of 3 minutes. It boils down to whether or not the "borrowed" beat or melody is used by an artist with a real musical talent, I.E. not a no talent ass clown with silver teeth, poor grammar and "the world owes me everything because of my skin color" attitude.

Grow up
Learn to play an instrument
Learn to sing
Contribute something to society in the form of music with substance
BE A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL

or take your thug lifestyle and attitude crawl back into the hole you came out of.

Last night I had a lady ask for hip hop. I asked for a song title or artist and she said she doesn't know any specifically, she just wants hip hop. It's the millions of brainwashed consumers like her that keep this $hit from getting flushed down the toilet.

And on a related note, I'm in Iowa (aka rural America) and if I get one more school dropout trying to get me to play his cd "cause he's the next big thing" I'm gonna take that cd and shove it up his ass, give him $2, and tell him to go and buy a friggen clue.

Now that is a quote worth saving...a cd up the ass is gonna hurt bad, at least the first one...

Music tastes will vary depending on where you live for sure.
Sure some of it is bad, but not all of it imo, and we all have our opinions...

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:17 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
wow that was a nice rant :) as Rick said, we all have our own opinions, and yours is close to mine, but I do recognise some good R'n'B and of course the classic Hip Hop breaks of the past, but I know who your getting at.

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:22 am
There is real talent in this Genre.

Eminem
Dr DRE
Snopp Doggy Dogg
Missy Elliot

But soon after the "big stars" the rest seem to crap out and fast. I dunno I can't see what is "so Seductive" about rapping about some strip club whore sucking your dick.

Up (Alberta) here the fun thing is the remixes of 80's hits; r&b is fading for the moment in favour of the much more talent laden regge/reggeton. I love that genre, dancehall.ringbang,regge,reggeton I can listen to that for hours and not get tired of it.

That and rock, Canadians don't seem to be inclinded to give up on rock music any time soon.
Good thing I like System Of A Down, Disturbed, KoRn and Tool. I get tons of requests for them all the time.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 1:56 am
wow i liked all the rockers aforementioned.....Korn and Disturbed have done some great covers ("word up" and "land of confusion") as well as their great originals....and Tool, well that has been an acquired taste but well worth the listen....just don't expect to play 'em at johnny's 9th bday party....lol. i tell ya Marcel you Canadians are alright.....i still tell people to this day to buy Canadian booze cuz youz guys are real friends not fiar weather variety and helped us big time when our diplomats were taken hostage in iran, which was a while ago but we remember.....

plus you put "One More Minute" on a playlist...........lol

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 2:15 am
You know what originally got me into DJ was breakdancing in the 80's. Well breakdancing I was fascinated with the DJ and how he scratched the record and mixed the songs. I would listen to our local (houston texas) radio station to the mix shows and try my hardest to understand how the hell they did that. I was intrigued with the art form and the sound. Going from learning how to scratch mix and juggle hip hop on turntables to mixing progressive house and trance. I have gone everywhere with music....

So many points have been made so far on this topic and here a few I would like to add:

1. After playing for like 45 minutes of hip hop and play one Dance (house, up-tempo, etc)/non-hip hop song someone girl comes up and says, "Are just going to play techno? When are you going to play hip hop again?" The fact that she puts anything with an up-tempo beat or progressive house track under the category of "techno"... I had to school a few here and there and point out the obvious to these brain washed basket cases.

2. Getting a new track and "feeling" like it is a sure hit. Playing on a regular rotation for a couple of months. Then someone who is at your bar or club all the time and ask for the new song they just heard... but you have been playing all along for months. Once again ... brain washed.

3. I read an article about a year ago in the Houston Press magazine. These guys are supposed to a popular DJ crew in Houston had a round table discussion about not mixing and how they can just play hip hop and have a big following. This one kills me... The fact that they can pick up on the "hit list" that any MTV or local shitty radio station has and download the tracks. Get some software and go around and "claim" they are DJ's who have got the formula down and brag about not mixing and having a following. No appreciation to the art form of DJ-ing or even trying to be unique in any way or form. Just fitting the mold and walking the walk they tell you to... morons...

4. Granted there are some... not a whole of talented producers and artist out there in the urban genre right now... the majority of it is lacking true substance and absolutely is getting old fast for me. I have the heard the worst music out there in this genre ever.. My question is this... Who the hell hears their demo and says, "we have a winner!!" they produce their crap and pay a bunch of money to MTV and local radio stations to put there track in a massive rotation. All of sudden you can't get the latest Paul Wall or Chamillionaire song out of your head. I hate it!!

5. My biggest pet peeve with the genre. Why in the hell does a rapper HAVE to say ,"Yeah!!, I'm Back!!" ... You weren't missed... All this does is get someone's attention on this like... oh yeah... where the hell has he been... The beginning of Diddy's track "come to me"... "It's good to be back..." He actually wrote that line down and then said into a microphone.... Oh yeah... and this one... when they say the year. Good one guys.. go ahead and date your song. That way when I have to play in a year or so it sounds even older.

6. Do rappers use a computer to write their lyrics? And do they have the spell check turned off? I am sure the computer gives up on them when they start to type. Unless they have a Beta Copy Windows Vista in Ebonics language. In that case when you actually type correct English the computers corrects you. Fo shizzle...

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 11:40 am
" i don't know much about the internet, i just know that i'm inter sex, yeaaaah,what's poppin' wit cha huh".......i don't think they can use a computer ........

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 3:12 pm
becareful when surfing on the web

that the spider doesnt get you!

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 3:18 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Ah nothing like a good rant, it's good to vent the spleen sometimes! And congrats to djnutz for his quote of the year... ;-)

And for those who are unfamiliar with the work of MC Lars, I'll leave you with these lyrics I copied & pasted off t'internet:

Club promoter: Lars you’re on in ten minutes. You ready?
MC Lars: I guess but… I still got to write some lyrics.
Club promoter: Alright, just remember it’s crunk night.
MC Lars: In that case, I guess it won’t be a problem.

This popular subgenre is brought to you by materialism.
We’d like to thank Bentley, Alizé champagne, and Sean
Jean clothing. We’d like to thank the record industry for
Marketing hip-hop stereotypes to 12 year olds and a pop
Culture that unquestioningly consumes vapid,
Superficial entertainment.

Phrase about my gun, rhyme about my loot
Phrase about these haters I sometimes have to shoot
Rhyme about my clothes,
props to my hometown (Carmel Valley!)
Lyrics that say nothing – cause that’s how we get down
Phrase about my clique, don't step to me punk
Gratuitous rhyme about keeping it crunk
Big ups to our genre, we do it our own way
It’s just too bad our songs don’t have anything to say!

CHROUS
Generic crunk rap! (What) Generic crunk rap! (Yeah)
Generic crunk rap! (What) We don’t mess around
Generic crunk rap! (Yeah) Generic crunk rap! (What)
Generic crunk rap! (Yeah) You like our dirty sound

Buy cars (Get crunk) Take shots (Get crunk)
Have sex (Get crunk) Spend money (Get crunk)

Phrase about my car, rhyme about my crew (Volvo!)
Rap about how much more crunk I am than you
Rhyme about my rims, rhyme about my bling
Chorus where I scream cause I don’t know how to sing
Rhyme supporting guns, and also drinking 40’s
Misogynist rhyme about banging lots of shorties
Rhyme about my dough, and then some made up lyrics
Get off the gas you swinga, check the deuce, yo sabiirit

CHORUS
Generic crunk rap! (What) Generic crunk rap! (Yeah)
Generic crunk rap! (What) We don’t mess around
Generic crunk rap! (Yeah) Generic crunk rap! (What)
Generic crunk rap! (Yeah) You like our dirty sound
Buy clothes (Get crunk) Hennesy (Get crunk)
Escalades (Get crunk) Spend money (Get crunk)

Grandmaster Flash, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
KRS, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
Run-DMC, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
But who can argue with the charts
When we’re sitting at the top?
Rakim, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
Chuck D, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
De La Soul, I’m sorry but we’re killing hip-hop
And we’re making so much money
That we ain’t about to stop!

Coca Cola! (Get crunk) Nike! (Get crunk)
McDonalds! (Get crunk) Disney! (Get crunk)
Fox Network! (Get crunk) Armani! (Get crunk)
Gap Clothing! (Get crunk) Mercedes! (Get crunk)
DKNY! (Get crunk) Courvoisier! (Get crunk)
Prada! (Get crunk) Wal-Mart! (Get crunk)
Chucky Cheese! (Get crunk) Ralph Lauren! (Get crunk)
G-Unit sneakers! (Get crunk) Louis Vuitton! (Get crunk)
I’m just playing Lil Jon. You know I love you.

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 4:58 pm
Yup,
My muzak says it all.....
I got all the things that matter or make me look the part.
But at the end of the day, I crawl into my cardboard box and close the lid cause tomorrow don't matter 'till tomorrow matters yo.
Maybe i'll find a full trashcan for a meal or can deposits, but I got my bling.

Posted Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 5:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)