Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ: Works with Serato Scratch soundcard?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I own VDJ with four timecoded vinyls and use the ESI46DJ soundcard. I want to buy Serato Scratch for use with big gigs, because of the BIG problems with VDJ timecodes and heavy bass. But I really like the VDJ software much better than Serato, hence I would like to sell my soundcard to a friend to save a few bucks and then use the Serato soundcard for both programs. Is that possible?

Posted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 3:23 pm
I've done it Ok. I found the sound great with the SL-1, but for now have held off selling my Maya 44 so I can be sure I don't need it later. I recommend you try it before you gig with it of course. Personally, though now I can't see the point in spending such a lot of money for the SL-1. I know you can then use SSL but I don't think it's got anything over VDJ.

A

Posted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 3:49 pm
Now I´m a bit confused: Have you used the Serato sound interface as a soundcard with Virtual DJ TCVs and software?

The problem is that when the bass gets really loud (we´re not talking normal clubs here, but big venues, festival style with LOTS of subs) the timecode quality drops down to 5-40% with VDJ, making it a complete train wreck - even with freefloats under the turntables and brand new stylus. I played just before Trentemoller and his dj T.O.M. uses Serato. My gig with VDJ was a disaster due to the instability of VDJ TCVs, but T.O.M. just hooked his Serato up and could skip the freefloats and have NO problems with the timecode.

So I would like to be able to take SSL to those few big gigs and use VDJ for the smaller clubs, cafés, receptions etc. and if I can use the Serato sound interface for VDJ I will sell my ESI U46DJ to a friend.

Posted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 4:04 pm
Yeah, I've found no problems using the SL-1 with VDJ. There's quite a lot of discussion on the forum here about it, so if you do a search you will get lots of info. Looks like you suspect the vibrations are causing probs with VDJ timecode. I'm surprised if this is the case, because I've had it very loud with no probs. Maybe you just need to adjust the TC settings or the Soundcard Settings or put on some extra tracking weight.

If you've got the money go and buy the SL-1. Rumour has it that the SL-1 is getting ASIO drivers soon, so would be usable with other software like Ableton too.

The setup for the SL-1 is dead easy in VDJ. Just plug the SL-1 into the computer and then open VDJ. You will see ththat VDJ has detected the SL-1 so you can just select it in the soundcard section of sound setup. I've got to admit that it does sound good, but it should do for so many bucks.

Still prefer VDJ, though to SSL ;-)

Posted Mon 04 Dec 06 @ 4:55 pm
Thanks for the accurate answer. Now I´m sure I will go buy that Serato stuff.

Regarding the VDJ problem: As TOM and Trentemoller could play flawlessly with SSL on the same turntables with the same weight on as I could, I´m quite sure VDJ is to blame here. There really aren´t that many settings to fuck up in VDJ. The timecode was running perfectly untill I started crancking up the bass. Every time I turned the bass a bit down, the timecode in VDJ went up and visa verca. So it´s clear as a summerday that the VDJ timecodes have their limitations. Strangely enough, my first set of timecodes are performing better, than the later ones, but still they are not up for the job, when the going gets tuff. It´s a shame, cause I prefer the VDJ so much over SSLs noob interface. It´s just that I cannot use it for any important/big gigs, when the TCVs are no good. Such a bloody shame!

Besides the SSL TCVs are SUPERIOR to VDJ TCVs when it comes to cueing and scratching, really superior. Much better tracking and overall stability.

Posted Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 2:04 am
I am too NOT selling my Maya 44 USB sound card. Can't believe they stopped making it!

Posted Thu 07 Dec 06 @ 3:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)