Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: what kind of headphone do you use with the console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ivarPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hello

i'm have a behringer hpx2000 headphone, but when i'm having a gig the sound on my headphone is not loud enough, so i want to buy a new one

can you guy's give me a good advice wich headphone i should buy

thanx a lot

Posted Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:29 pm
I use the sennheiser HD 212pro, it's not a really expensive one but it's quite good, I've seen some pro's use it too. But remember that the output of the dj console isn't that high so it's possible that's your problem.

Posted Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 9:56 am
thanx for your answer( at least somebody did),
but i've tried the sennheiser and it is simular the behringer
i have heard that the pioneer HDJ-1000 is REALLY loud
but i have read several forums about it, and not everybody is that happy about it when they were using it for a longer time

but thanx again for your answer

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 4:05 pm
hey ivar...

just a quick one...
I can see you are a full VDJ user, and have the console.
At gigs, to you use EXTERNAL mixer?

If so, use the headphone output at the external mixer. That wil give you greater controll over the volume etc for your headset. At external mixers the volume in headset are adjusted by a headset volume knob. But very often even at max, the volume can be a bit low.....
why? becuase its (for some strange reason) often related to how much GAIN there is on each channel of the mixer, or even the master channel gain. So, if you turn on more GAIN in the channels, the headset max volume is a LOT louder..

To get gain higher at the physical mixer, you might have to adjust the output from soundcard to mixer, to a lower level.
And this is all good anyway, make it all sound better.
Make gain at VDJ to less than zero.. and adjust as low as u need. At my gigs, the VDJ gain is as low as -5 to -10db ...

regarding headset brand etc, most headsets will do. Have tried a whole range of headsets, but its often not much difference between a really expencive dj headset, and a cheaper one.. Get one that have have a "soft-pillows" (dont know the english word...lol) at neck and ears... so they are comfortable to use, and also ones that can be bent a lot, and take a beating (no pun...lol)

hope that helps ;)

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 4:24 pm
hi dj-in norway

i do use a external mixer but i do my mixes on the console
so i am using only one output that go's in to the external mixer
that is why i want to use the headphone output on the console
so is there a possibility to put the sound louder on the headphone output as well (maybe you already told me but i didn't find where in the FAME settings)
and if so how ??

thanx a lot

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 4:44 pm
there are two ways of getting the sound louder on the headset outout on the console:

(1) rightclick that green alien head at system tray to bring control panel for Hercules up, and increase the volumeslider for headset (in advanced mode, the middle slider)

(2) headset volume on Hercules is ALSO related to gain. So if your gain in VDJ is very low, the headset volume is low as well. Increase gain.. but do not go over 0db, that seems to distort sound a lot

hope that help...

one thing out of curiosity..
You have dual output possibilities on the Hercules w/ full version of VDJ. That means you can have one stereo sound going from each "deck/channel" in VDJ to 2 different channels in your external mixer. And STILL use the console's jogwheel and buttons to mix. But your way works too, of course

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 4:53 pm
thanx again dj-in-norway

and i will try what you told me on the end(i'm still learning)
by the way i saw that you were going to france this summer
where about (a bit off topic) because i live in the vendee

thanx a lot and i think it will help me a lot

Posted Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 5:01 pm
hi again

i am still curious wich kind of headphone other people use
because i am using my external mixer at the moment and the sound is not the best when i put the volume up. (distortion)

thanx in advance

Posted Sat 07 Aug 04 @ 4:32 pm

Posted Sat 07 Aug 04 @ 4:42 pm
SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use the standard Numark DJ headphones. This is because Numark make DJ gear only and they know what the customers need. They are LOUD due to the speakers being smaller than average and the drivers push more sound through them. Even through the console they are seriously loud.

Not the best quality but you can get them off ebay for about $15 and they do the job perfectly for a real small outlay.

Posted Sat 07 Aug 04 @ 11:52 pm
alicooHome userMember since 2004
I use Pioneer.. HDJ-5000

I rather use pioneer gear too rather than this cheap stuff.. but cant afford it yet..

Posted Fri 27 Aug 04 @ 6:40 pm
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Still using my old AKG K301 headphones, but i'm thinking about getting either Sony MDR 700, Pioneer HDJ 1000 or Technics RP DJ 1200.
Havent decided yet :)

Posted Sat 28 Aug 04 @ 9:44 am
hi again

I bought the Stanton / DJ PRO 2000 S last week and i'm very satisfied about it
even straight out the console the volume is more than loud enough and the quality is good

thanx for all your replies

Posted Sat 28 Aug 04 @ 10:11 am
SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Got myself the Sony MDR V700 yesterday. Much better than my old AKG headphones! :)

Posted Sun 29 Aug 04 @ 10:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)