Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Waiting to shut off pc with vdj?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have read that you should wait a little while before shutting off you pc after closing vdj.

Just wondering if infact that is true, and how long should I wait before powering down my laptop, after shutting vdj down?

Posted Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 6:20 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
id leave it about 5 minutes just to be sure

its important to let virtual dj close properly or it can damage the xml database of your songs

Posted Thu 23 Nov 06 @ 6:26 pm
Use [control - alt - delete] then processes, look for vdj process and wait till it dissapears.

Posted Sun 26 Nov 06 @ 12:07 am
u can do that but it does not show info on precashing of your files so best to give it a couple of minutes after it has vanished

Posted Sun 26 Nov 06 @ 12:19 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't think there is any proof to this. Once VDJ is closed, I can shut down my PC right away and never had a problem.
Ravy Davy is right though, if for some reason the process is still running, you should wait. Mine disapears right after VDJ is closed, if yours does not, there might be a problem or you have an extremely slow computer.

Posted Sun 26 Nov 06 @ 7:10 am
true but better safe than sorry :)

Posted Sun 26 Nov 06 @ 12:05 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
So 5 minutes is more than enough time?

Posted Tue 28 Nov 06 @ 1:41 am
Wow..learn somethin new everyday ; i dont remember reading this in the manual ;-0

Posted Tue 28 Nov 06 @ 3:16 am
about 2 mins probaly

i find xp usualy pulls its act to gether by then its nothing do with virtual dj

its just some times windows saves infomation incorectly if you shut down right after closing an aplication

same if ur typeing a word document and shutdown some info can be lost if u do it rightaway

Posted Tue 28 Nov 06 @ 11:16 am
Mind you - if you are living in somebody else's house and they tell you to switch off that computer NOW - or they turn the power off at the mains, or unplug it from the socket in your room, you're in schtuck!

Some people are like that - they want things done instantly or, failing that, before! I once knew a Dutchman who wanted things done "instantly or before!"

Posted Tue 28 Nov 06 @ 3:24 pm
my pairents can be like that at times its very anoying

fortunately as i now mix off a laptop they find it harder to ruin it for me lol

Posted Tue 28 Nov 06 @ 3:30 pm
In the olden days, before would-be DJs could buy equipment relatively cheap, the only way you could do a DJ-style "show" was this way:

Before the invention even of ghetto blasters, you had to use a little rectangular tape recorder to record music. You had to have a totally soundproof room - impossible in a council semi in Grangetown, a suburb of Middlesbrough.

Some tape recorders had a built-in "condenser microphone" - but you had to hold it right next to the source - usually an old Dansette record player or a portable radio. To get the tape to play at a reasonable level, you had to turn up the radio or record player quite loud. You also couldn't move, speak or break wind, as it picked that up, often clearer than the music! Even things like washing machines and vacuum cleaners presented problems.

Unfortunately, most recordings made by my sister Rita had effectls like Dad saying "Turn dat down" - one recording she had done had the voice of my second oldest sister Catherine saying "Rita - our mam wants ya" at the end.

It was fortunate we lived in one of those roads that few cars travelled along. If you lived on a main road, you would need to close your bedroom window - you could hardly do it in the lounge - not with parents watchng telly - you would need to shut the window to avoid picking up the noises from cars, buses, lorries, vans and other forms of traffic.

Of course, once ghetto blasters were invented, it didn't pick up any strange noises.

Posted Wed 29 Nov 06 @ 3:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)