Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: XP10s vs. DAC3 controllers...Pre-purchase advice

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey everyone,

I have purchased the VDJ Time Coded Vinyls and they work great, but I am looking to make my rig alot more portable.

I'm considering the XP10s and the DAC3 controllers and would appreciate any advice/feedback about these products from current owners.

I'm buying a new laptop so here's the Pro's and Con's of each as far as I can tell:

DAC3:
-------
PROS:
Cost is now reduced to $345 (US), allows for control of a full set without a mouse or keyboard.

CONS:
Need a good soundcard/audio interface to link to my active PA speakers as my current soundcards are PCI and installed in my PC. SO, I'd have to buy a Presonus Fire Box or other 4 in/4 out firewire device ($300)

QUESTION:
What is the easiest way to route the audio with this configuration? The DAC3 is controlling the playback of MP3s on the laptop via Virtual DJ, but is the laptop sound going out of the audio interface, back into my DJ mixer (giving me channel controls + crossfader) and then out to my speakers? This seems clunky...am I lost?

XP10:
------
PROS:
Soundcard and controller in the same unit, nice!

Audio routing seems easier than the DAC3 configuration as the XP10s feed right into my DJ mixer and then I can line out to my active speakers.

CONS:
Cost is steep; two of these cost $1,000.

Cannot tell if this controller totally denecessitates use of a mouse and/or keyboard.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can comment on the info above in any way I would appreciate it. I'm no big rush to buy, but would like to do so in the next 3 months.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

-Alex

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 4:20 pm
i use the dac 3, i use a esi maya sound card ($160) out into seperate channels of my mixer. so i only hook up two usbs to the laptop (dac and maya). the setup works great. i never used the xp10s.

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 5:08 pm
You will ideally need a sound card with 4 outputs (2 stereo channels) to use the DAC-3. This will allow you to use it with your mixer just like a conventional CD player. If you have used timecode vinyl, you probably already have a soundcard with the correct outputs.

The DAC-3 works very well in a rackmount setup. If you decide to buy one, make sure you download my DAC-3 mapper from Download -> Plugins -> External Tools to get the most out of your controller.

The XP10's have the advantage of being very small and light-weight with a built-in sound card in each unit, along with touch sensitive platters that are good if you are into scratching. However, they have the following disadvantages:

* No LCD displays or status indicator lights.
* Stiff plastic buttons that are prone to breaking if not treated with care.

Both will require 2 USB ports on the laptop/computer (Or use of a powered USB hub) - 2x XP10 or DAC-3 + suitable soundcard.

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 6:42 pm
Hey there AlfredoDosil and JP_Boggis; thanks so much for your replies.

The DAC 3 looks like the one I should go with as: (1) I am not into scratching (and even if I wanted to do a little bit for fun in a set VDJ has a scratch effect, HAH!), (2) I do like rack-mounted gear and I noticed the DAC3 "gig-box" for sale on the PCDJ site, and (3) although I will have to buy a laptop audio interface, I can use it for other purposes than DJing if I want to, whereas the XP10's soundcard functionality only allow DJ specific operation.

For some reason the XP10 seems a bit too steep in price, IMHO.

It would be nice if some manufacturer built a firewire audio interface with 4/4 I/O that also had an integrated DJ mixer in it as well with typical B/M/T frequency controls and channel faders/cross fader. Such a device would really simplify the whole connectivity process from Controller(s)->PC->DJ Mixer->PA system.

Thanks again for the info!

Regards,

-Alex

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 9:40 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
alfredodosil wrote :
i use the dac 3, i use a esi maya sound card ($160) out into seperate channels of my mixer. so i only hook up two usbs to the laptop (dac and maya). the setup works great. i never used the xp10s.

hello to the first cue user iv seen on the forum lol

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 10:06 pm
OK, I don't usually quote myself, but I just finished some research based on my earlier comment of:

<AlexHall74 wrote:>
------------------------
"It would be nice if some manufacturer built a firewire audio interface with 4/4 I/O that also had an integrated DJ mixer in it as well with typical B/M/T frequency controls and channel faders/cross fader. Such a device would really simplify the whole connectivity process from Controller(s)->PC->DJ Mixer->PA system. "

It looks like such a device does exist in the Numark CM200USB DJ Mixer:

It will accept 2 audio streams from a PC/Mac via USB cables, 2 inputs and 2 outputs via USB!!!

That greatly simplifies things doesn't it?

So, does anyone have thoughts on this idea?

Regards,

-Alex

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to:
http://www.numark.com->products->mixers->CM200USB DJ Mixer

From the Numark page:

CM200USB DJ Mixer
-----------------------
"The CM200USB includes two USB audio devices built into the mixer allowing the user to utilize their computer music files without the need of drivers or sound cards. Two USB ports are included so you can take advantage of the multiple sound card feature found in most DJ mixing software. You can also record your mix at the same time as play back (full duplex)."

"The mixer offers 5 channels of control plus a separate DJ mic section. Each channel includes PFL gain controls, and a 3-band EQ with Kill function. Also included is a user-replaceable, fully assignable crossfader that is conveniently set up to activate remote-start CD players. Outputs include a high quality master XLR output that offers panning and mono options. Also included are record, zone, and headphone outputs with split blend mixing controls for cueing. USB outputs are offered for both the record and master."

SPECIFICATIONS:
---------------------
_ 5 channels plus DJ mic control

_ Inputs for 8 line, 3 phono, 2 USB, 3 mic

_ 2 USB input channels for playing MP3 files from a computer

_ 2 USB output channels for recording your performance to a computer

_ Master balanced XLR outputs with Record and Zone

_ Steep 3-band EQ on every channel

_ EQ on mic channel

_ Split or blend cueing, PFL gain adjust with meter

_ Fader-start, panning on master fader

_ Replaceable assignable crossfader

_ USB cables included

_ No software drivers needed with Windows XP or Mac OS X

_ Works with almost any Windows or Mac audio recording or playback software

Posted Tue 14 Nov 06 @ 10:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)