Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Well, time to order another soundcard...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
My guy that I use to order DJ gear from told me that he is having trouble getting me a esi u46dj card, so after reading through some threads, I am thinking about the PreSonus Firebox.

I had a question about how it hooks up...
Does it just connect by firewire 400, or do I need to use a pcmia (?) slot too or otherwise.

...And if not that card, then what should I get for my laptop that I will use TCCD's with?

Thanks,
Jeff

Posted Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 10:36 pm
I did know that it takes firewire, but just didn't know if I had to use that other slot for something else to do with it.
Anyhow, I ended up ordering it after checking it out on their website, and was wondering (refresh my memory) if it's better to run the soundcard or external hard drive(for my music) with the firewire. My external can also be usb 2.0.
Is it possible to run more than one firewire device? My laptop only has one, and I haven't ever used firewire before, so I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Posted Sat 04 Nov 06 @ 3:21 am
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey dude,
here ya go..

Use the Firebox ( I have), hooked up to lappy as Firewire 400. Get the proper cable from Radio shack (6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable $34.99).

Connect your external HD via USB 2.0

I initaially tried to connect my external HD via firewire 800 with a card and was a problem. 2.0 is very fast for this.

The firebox is a great piece with TCCD. If you need help once you get it; just ask away.

B

Posted Sat 04 Nov 06 @ 7:44 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
dont have one personaly but that firebox sounds great :)

Posted Sat 04 Nov 06 @ 7:48 pm
Sweet...
I have an extra firewire cable just like already (belkin) that I bought for my sony video camera, and little did I know that the pci firewire card for my pc came with one.
I've had that cord (still in the package) in my desk drawer for months!

Thanks!
Jeff
Oh yeah, my alienware lappy came today (on a Saturday) but I'm putting up window blinds while the baby sleeps, so maybe I'll get to mess with it a bit later today or tomorrow.

Posted Sat 04 Nov 06 @ 8:22 pm
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There are a few settings you need to change in the Firebox mixer settings- see the manual or let me know if you have any trouble- I remember "By-pass" being important to put on, but I can help you more if you need once it is all plugged in.

Also check the driver # that came with it and go to Presonus.com and get the latest driver for the Firebox.

Only takes a minute.

enjoy it.

B

Posted Sun 05 Nov 06 @ 1:54 am
wELL,
i ALREADY DID D/L THE DRIVER AND MANUAL (friday) AND I don't even have it yet!
Next week I think.
Sorry for the caps.

Posted Sun 05 Nov 06 @ 4:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)