Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Attention Programmers, More 2.0 Probs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PLEASE address the instability problem in ver. 2.0.

My copy of VDJ continues to crash at the most inoportune moments, in spite of all my efforts to avoid tripping it's hair trigger. I now use Windows media player as a backup, while I force Windows to reset the program and wait through the lengthy reload period.

Here's another glitch I've found: When I set the auto-mix perimeters the way I want them for a particular track, sometimes they will stay that way, and somtimes VDJ changes them to something else... Very irritating!

Okay, I'll stop ranting long enough to present another of what I would consider to be a helpful addition to the program:

As you are aware, whenever you click in the color bar that represents the track, VDJ (depending on the current playing status of that track) will eiter start, rewind, or advance to that 'location'.

I think it would be nice since you have no way of knowing *exactly* what point you are re-winding or advancing to, it would be very helpful to have the VDJ automatically average your 'click point' to the nearest downbeat. Or even better, a dialog box which would allow different options regarding this feature.

This would be VERY convenient, especially when you've allowed a track to run past the mix point, and had neglected to set an ending cue point which you could return to. The user would be able to guess pretty close, to the start of a measure, and be assured of catching the downbeat everytime.

Posted Sun 18 Jul 04 @ 6:53 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Good Idea Richmond I'm with you.

Clax

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 5:29 am
I've noticed the crashing proplem seems to be tied to CPU usage and memory.

I'm running a 1.4 gig AMD Athlon Thunderbird with 512 megs of ultra-fast RAM. Preceding a crash, VDJ pegs the CPU and hogs half the RAM.

Maybe this info will help....

Posted Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 12:33 pm
djtrickHome userMember since 2004
"it would be very helpful to have the VDJ automatically average your 'click point' to the nearest downbeat" , this is a great idea!!!

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 4:26 am
Aaaarrrgggg!!! I am SICK AND TIRED! of VDJ crashing, and losing all the data that has been entered into the database since the last crash.

How can I force VDJ to permenently store the data?!! Will someone PLEASE address this problem?

If you guys would program VDJ to record the data in the file it'self (ID3), we wouldn't have this aggravation.....

Posted Sun 25 Jul 04 @ 2:06 am
try the new patch.... vdj 2.01
this fixes the crash problem, and also the long start-up time and some database issues

Posted Sun 25 Jul 04 @ 6:59 pm

Although this is not really the proper place to present it,.. here's another idea I'd like to see implimented within the program:

Let's say you are wanting to make, say, a 64 beat, beat-matched blend mix into the next track, but there's only like an eight beat window at the end of the currently playing track.

You need to start the track 2 at the the beginning of that window, however because it (the window) is so short, you also need to hit the loop button on track 1 simultaneously,.. and instantly make any needed corrections in beat alignment. Very complicated!

I suggest that another option be added to the little pop-up menu that comes up when you right-click on one of the cues. This option would allow you to pre-activate, and select a loop period for that cue,.. say 32, 16, 8, and 4 beats.

Then, when the track arrived at that point, it would then automatically begin to loop at the selected number of beat intervals, and you could then easily mix out very gracefully.

I do this manually now, and I like to bring the loop intervals down progressively in number, as I get closer to the changeover point. It works out beutifully on many songs.

Posted Sun 25 Jul 04 @ 10:50 pm
Class idea Richmond, being able to set Cues up with a preset loop would be quality.

Also I too would like to see full ID3 tag support built into VDJ as I spent ages correctly naming and tagging all my MP3's...it all seems waisted now...on that note would ID3 cause problems actually loading MP3's if there were "Ilegal" characters in them?

Posted Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 1:41 am
Okay,.. back to the 2.0 problems (now 2.1).

As far as I can tell, with 2.1 the crashing problem has been eliminated. The underlying problem has not, however, as the program will still "hang" momentarily, under the same conditions that would previously have peceeded a certain catastrophic program crash.

On the other hand, the database problem STILL exists. If the program *does* crash, or if the host computer is shut down for any reason without logging out of VDJ first,.. all the data entered since the last "auto-save" (?) from the previous shutdown is LOST.

*Programmers!... I love this prog,.. BUT,.. *PLEASE* address this issue...! I have wasted MANY, MANY hours entering, and re-entering the same data,.. over, and over, and over,... ad nauseum....

Posted Tue 27 Jul 04 @ 2:41 am
Well, I've found a sure-fire way to crash 2.1.... The "full reverse" effect plugin, will bring it down instantly, everytime.

Posted Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 2:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)