Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: First I Was Ready To Suicide Over Pops and Crackles, Then I listened to Norway

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

And you should too. I'd tried everything, or so I thought. I've just sucessfully played my first music video with VDJ, using accelerated video without a single pop or crackle through the entire video.

This is all because I listened to Norway. This is crazy good news!

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 4:09 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Glad to see you back around...

what was the issue? and what card you using?

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 4:32 am
Hi,

Glad you've got it working, but what's the advice you were given!?!? :)

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 10:06 am
@anewsome. R u talking about after going to 4.1 from 4.0 or what do you mean?

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 12:48 pm

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 5:57 pm
I've always been firm in that my problems with Audio pops and crackles was NOT a problem with my laptop and that it was a problem with VDJ. I am a 20 year computer professional as well as a DJ, so I was pretty sure I knew what I was talking about. Just to recap, for those of you who don't remember the full story,.. After buying my THIRD high end laptop to try and get VDJ music videos working, I was frustrated that VDJ could still not play videos without pops or crackles WITH THE TV OUT ENABLED. The laptop is a Dell E1505 dual core, 1GB ram, high end ATI graphics, etc.

Note, I hardly ever hear pops or crackles when playing music files only, or playing videos WITHOUT the TV out enabled. VDJ is very solid for playing music, or videos using just VGA out.

So I did all the tweaks and still no luck. What ended up finally working was this.

Go into the BIOS, disable EVERYTHING that has nothing to do with playing music videos. That is, leave the USB controller and the video card enabled. EVERYTHING else, disable. So I disabled:

Built in Firewire
Built in Ethernet
Built in Bluetooth
Built in Wireless 802.11
Built in PCIx Card Slot
Built in Serial Ports
Built in Sound Card

And now I can play videos without pops or crackles. CPU rarely is used more than 5 or 10%, even under heavy video mixing.

There are numerous other other bugs in the software that I won't get into here. I haven't been around enough lately to know if those bugs have already been report and I would hate to double post. Besides, I'm so happy that I am finally able to play videos without pops and crackles. I don't want to ruin the moment with any negative posts.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 7:45 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Virtual DJ Preventing suicides with the best support team money can buy. Don't jump off, Jump in.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 7:49 pm
Seriously Bagpuss,.. I think Norway is the only person that can even relate to how frustrated I was by not being able to play videos! I actually think the "high end laptop" was actually working against me. I disabled SEVEN THINGS! Low end laptops would not even have 7 things to disable. I know now, all you need is a super fast processor. Loads of ram. Fast video and a USB port. Everything else is useless and possibly can cause problems.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 7:54 pm
Problem is the PC architecture... its old. It only have 15 real "phone-lines" (IRQs) for the hardware devices to talk to the CPU, and only one can "call" at a time... To add for the lack of enough "phone-lines", Windows adds some virtual lines.. not going into the technical parts of that, but it sucks for audio latency.

So "high end laptop" with LOTS of devices CAN be a problem yes, and specially for low latency asio on usb. It needs constant "phone line" with CPU, and if interrupted by priority caller (system devices or devices with lower IRQ), it can only wait shortly for a new line... If it runs out of audio-buffer-data, then there is a pop/crackle. To make matters worse, if some device share "phone-line" (IRQ) with the usb/soundcard, then there can be real problems, as they try to talk at the same time...
Not good for conversations as you know ;) hehe

Simplified explaination ;) but thats the essense

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 7:59 pm
Oh yes norway. All very true, and I've been around since before IRQs were shareable and for these type of applications, I think going back to non-shareable IRQs would actually work better but then there would be absolutely no way to put in the 7 things I disabled, plus CD burners, etc.

On this Dell, I think I'm going to have to blame them at this point, or their drivers. See, I DISABLED all of those things in the past in Windows. I disable wi-fi, ethernet, all of it. If it's disabled it should be using any IRQ or polling for any reason. Obviously that's not true, since disabling it in BIOS fixes the problem.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 8:09 pm
yeah, disable in bios is the better way.. As windows disable is only a software disable.
But often, a windows disable CAN be enough..

And Dell's ... well.. hehe.. They have had these issues for lots of users, unfortunately.
Donno why.

WindowsXP "virtual IRQ sharing" can be turned off...
Its a bit of a process, but for those running into real annoying issues, it can be the last resort solution.

Google for "Standard PC vs ACPI install Windows XP" if you need this solution as a last resort!
Please note, standard PC mode will not work on dual core, and/or laptops.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 8:17 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
"And Dell's ... well.. hehe.. They have had these issues for lots of users, unfortunately.
Donno why. "

Are you serious? Since the exploding laptop batteries things have been great for Dell :)

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 8:19 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
Since the exploding laptop batteries things have been great for Dell :)

Exploding batteries... minor deetail ;) hehe

I dont know why so many have problems with Dell and VDJ... No idea, I dont have one..

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 8:22 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dell Hell- I think thats dells fault
It´s sony that has problems with the exploding batterys and they are selling the battery to other brand as OEM
Read that Lenovo/ IBM has 325 000 battery outside the US to replace and that Apple got 5 000 000 batterys
HP has none !
Keep the fire burning - REO Speedwagon -81 ?

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 9:03 pm
PuttePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Correction - Dell Hell- I don´t think thats dells fault
+ keep the fire burning was Released: June, 1982

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 9:30 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Props to Norway for the advice... its always useful to have someone who knows their stuff in the forum regularly.

Posted Fri 13 Oct 06 @ 1:46 am
First big video mixing gig tonight fellas. Wish me luck.

Posted Fri 13 Oct 06 @ 6:42 pm

Best of luck man.. ;) Hope all runs well...

And if all does, tell the world that VDJ works great for you! ;)
You are a potential great ambassador ;) mixing video in high-end places....

Posted Fri 13 Oct 06 @ 6:45 pm
dj-in-norway wrote :

And if all does, tell the world that VDJ works great for you! ;)

Of course you guys don't know it, but I've already given you guys more customers than that other software. You should see all the private messages that I answer from users of that other software, asking about video mixing and VDJ in general. I also got a large venue here in So Cal to do a permanent install of VDJ in their venue with a high end server computer, hooked up to a REALLY big video system. I need to take some pictures there because you guys will not believe this system. A full 8 feet rack of video equipment and a DJ console that will blow your mind!

So, see. I am already spreading the word!

Posted Fri 13 Oct 06 @ 7:12 pm
anewsome wrote :

So, see. I am already spreading the word!

yes I know you do ;) I've read your threads at the other forum... hehe, and I have djs such as SWB and others contacting me.. from SSL. So I know u're already a great ambassador for VDJ ;)

Thanx for that ...

and would love to see more pics of you and VDJ in action ;)

Posted Fri 13 Oct 06 @ 7:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)