Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: help with the next step...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/24/ca/2d_1_sbl.JPG
http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/low-fat-al/image3.jpg

i'm toying with virtual dj 4.1 on my HP laptop mixing in my headphones and getting pretty good.
what's the next step? i want to purchase turntables so i can get those timecoded vdj vinyls. i want something similar to the links above.
do i need to purchase a sound card? if so, what kind? sorry, i'm foreign to this and really want to get into this hobby. please help me break it down. images and links of items i need to purchase would be helpful. thanks a million!

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 11:45 pm

Timecode vinyls need a soundcard running in ASIO, and with two line in (or more)

Such soundcards are for example Maya44 or U46dj, and many others...
Get a good soundcard with low latency, such as the above or better...

(dont get some cheap usb card that has high latency.... )

Other than that, you need turntables of course.... thats really it ;)
If you want to extend more, an external mixer would be a good too...

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 11:58 pm
thanks for the info, but what is ASIO?

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 10:31 pm
a "driver mode"

Steinberg of Germany developed Audio Stream In/Out (ASIO) technology. ASIO has made its mark as the driver standard for delivering low-latency transfer of digital audio. This means that hardware supporting an ASIO driver is able to deliver low-latency recording and monitoring to hard disk.

Not all soundcards support this...

Traditional cheaper soundcards are often branded "DirectX soundcard" or "Soundblaster compatible" etc, and run in Windows driver mode. This mode is slower, and not the best for timecode use.
But it is possible. The slower driver will make fast scratch sound a bit digital, but if you dont scratch, a regular soundcard with two line ins will work too....

And there is also a driver called www.asio4all.com that works on almost all regular soundcards, making it emulate ASIO in an ok way...

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 10:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)