Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Visualisations (Team)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

A couple of us on a UK DJ forum have been discussing VDJ visualisations. As we all know, Sonique is no more, so the chances of getting more there are probably gone. It seems milkdrop may be the way forward, apparently milkdrop is now open source. Correct me if I'm wrong but I did hear a whisper that at some point, support for milkdrop may be built into VDJ. Can anyone 'in the know' give any clues to this, or at least hint if there are plans for further visualisation support natively within VDJ.

Posted Wed 11 Oct 06 @ 5:30 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
milkdrop is indeed good but i woldnt want it on the same machine as VDJ cause like all decent vis, its heavy on resources

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 2:08 am
I'm one of the guys on the UK forum asking about milkdrop, and think I have enough grunt to handle VDJ and Milkdrop running simultanuosly.

I gotta ask, if you don't want a good visualization plugin because it draws resources like any other good vis plugin, then why bother?

I don't suppose you know of a good vis that uses few resources now do you? What are the alternatives?

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 2:23 am
Hi,

The alternative i guess would be to have some pre-recorded visualisations (ripped from a dvd maybe) and have them playing when a song doesn't have a video.

Obviously it wouldn't respond to the beat, but you could get some really amazing stuff (like from r4) and not have the system clogged up if it was implemented in VDJ.

Just a thought. :)

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 10:10 am
Fill up the hardrive with actual video to imitate what a visual is for? Naw, I don't think so! Besides, visuals are random, and to the beat for each track. A video would become redundant and boring.

Visuals rarely ever play the same preset to the same track, and offer an endless variety of visual stimulation. I'd prefer the Live visuals over pre recorded ones, sorry, but thanks anyhow.

How would milkdrop compare to sonique for resource usage?
I shouldn't think it much different personally. I think as Milkdrop is open source, it would be a viable option to replace a dead sonique plugin. Something has to fill the void!

Now I realize I don't run video on my personal choice of software, but I do run milkdrop for it, and have been using powerDvd and Media player for video for times when I do interject video, and have had absolutely no issues with resource usage at all. Unless VDJ uses more resources than the combination of all the apps I use together, I wouldn't think it to be an issue at all unless you were running a very weak system. Anything capable of running anything close to smooth video should be able to handle this I'd think. Especially if you were already using sonique.

Posted Thu 12 Oct 06 @ 2:34 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)