Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Small form laptop recomendations ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
I'm wanting to switch to a small form laptop for use with VDJ i'm using video clips as well,
any sujestions? any one made the switch? how about the new macs that can run windows???
Thanx

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 12:53 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You will need at least 1 GB of ram, possibly core duo processor and min x1400 Radeon grapgic card to run videos ok. My Torshiba M100-180 with 4GB of ram works great with that graphic card. But still have to make some tests more.

Don't use macs with windows. macs are made for mac os x and so it will be VDJ for macs soon too. Just wait.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 3:30 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
My HP ZD8000 does music and videos very well.
Specs:
CPU =3.0Ghz HT
RAM = 1GB DDR2
GFX = ATI X800 w/256MB
storage = 1TB firewre 800 external drive
sound/control = HDJC Mk2
media = .vob, .mp3, .cdg (zip)

I have heard of people having problems with using laptops for video shows, but I think as long as you have a decent video card (PCI-express preferred) with plenty of dedicated memory, fast storage (at least a 7200RPM non-fragmented internal drive,) and plenty of RAM, you should be OK.
Also, remember that although .VOB's will give you the best quality for DVD rips, it is actually the least taxing on the CPU because it is less compressed. The tradeoff for the higher quality and faster decoding is that the files are huge. Luckily, the price of storage gets cheaper as quickly as my drives fill up. Expect about 200MB for the average video file.

As for the Mac, I don't have experience with running windows on a Mac, but would guess it is something like putting ketchup on Filet Mgnon. I would suggest waiting to see the Mac version of VDJ, but if you do try it on the Mac under windows, then please let us know how it works. There have been very few and vague reports from others that have tried it, and that doesn't make me very confident.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 4:37 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
well it works :D but didn't try video. ant couldn't ger maya44 to work with it. i can't reccomend to use VDJ at mac yet, although it works great under bootcamp.

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 4:48 pm
"putting ketchup on Fillet Mignon."

I thought something was not right when I did that....I wondered why the chef passed out and the maitre d' kicked me out.

On that note (and day) I definitely did not.....

Keep the beat sweet

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 5:25 pm
maczachHome userMember since 2010
did he just say "small" "laptop" and "video" all in the same sentence?

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 6:09 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I guess I should add that my laptop is not small. 17" widescreen, but it is still much smaller than the 'bookshelf' pc I was using before, especially with the external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and UPS that I needed just to give it the same functionality that you get with a laptop.

I am looking forward to being able to use the iMac with everything built into the monitor, but it still needs an external keyboard, mouse and UPS.

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 8:29 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
maczach wrote :
did he just say "small" "laptop" and "video" all in the same sentence?

yes lol

sounds like a job for dual core procesor

Posted Thu 05 Oct 06 @ 10:20 pm
yeah I was hoping to make a switch fom my dell inspiron 9100 which works great with the TCV, video, using a emu 1616m. was just wondering if any small laptops have the grunt we need for VDJ+video ect.. the dell has been great power wise but the 1616m has had issues with outs dieing not sure if its such a good giging interface....

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 6:51 am
jchiarPRO InfinityMember since 2005
"putting ketchup on Fillet Mignon."

Very original Ferd, More like Steak sauce on Filet Mignon, no?

I might try Steak sauce causes its might be tasty..

Posted Sat 14 Oct 06 @ 1:22 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)