Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Why do I hear sound in center speaker when crossfader is shut???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

thanciPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys,

I am still hearing sound from center channel (3-4) even when I shut crossfader???

Here is my settings:

-I am using Virtual DJ 2,
-I am using Mix station SV 04,
-I am using DJ console as my soundcard,
-I have 5.1 speakers connected to 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 (correctly plugged) on the DJ Console,
-DJ Console is in Advanced Mode (Headphone mode)
-Virtual DJ is on 4.1 sound card mode, "speaker with headphone" icon is on, output 7.1 is checked,
-Left side is playing music,
-Crossfader is all the way to the right, (I should not be hearing sound from any speaker)

But above all, the music on the left panel is still heard from center channel.

When it is vice versa (Right panel is playing and crossfader is all the way to the left) I can also hear music from center speakers.

Only when I dim (shut all the way) the level of headphones from the skin, then the sound goes off.

So can anyone tell me:
-if I have a problem with my 5.1 connection settings
-or is my Hercules DJ Console is faulty?

Thanks advance for any help.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 4:22 pm
It's the same over here. I figured it was an alternative headphone jack or something. So I don't think it's a hardware fault or something.

Also, with the full(er) version I believe you can use all the ports for sound output (1-2, 3-4, 5-6), because I don't think that is possible with the console version of vdj.

So maybe it's a 'glitch' in the vjd console version that port 3-4 is acting like a headphone out port.

maybe someone with the full version want to help us out? :)

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 5:37 pm
I think it's because the output ports 3-4 (center) are used for headphone output with the audio settings you chose. I know that in 'Advanced mode' (Hercules mixer), the headphone plug in the front is exactly what plays in the 3-4 outputs, but with the volume control.

Hope this helps,
macourteau

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 5:51 pm
Yes but 3-4 channel is for Center Speaker also.

But then again, how am I supposed to prelisten with headphone without broadcasting to Speakers...

Use volume control? No way.

If I turn down speaker volume from the slider, the sound is cut in headphone as well as center speaker.

Are we supposed to unlug Center Speaker and plug the Headphones to 3-4 (Center Channel) when using Advanced Mode setting?

I am using full version Virtual DJ, I dont think it is the case.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 6:06 pm
When in advanced mode, the Hercules mixer maps the sound that's going to the channels 3-4 to the 3-4 plug, AND to the headphone out in front of the console. And since VDJ outputs the prelisten to channels 3-4 with that setting, the sound ends up in your speakers too. The only way to not have the sound come out of your center speakers with that configuration is to unplug them.

macourteau

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 6:39 pm
SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi there - there is a really simple 'cheat' you can do to allow you to use as many speakers as you wish.

I currently use 6 speakers with a sub in advanced mode absolutely fine with headphone pre listening.

How?

So simple you'll laugh!

Basically you know output 1-2 on the console (the jack you plug the front speakers into to get the sound out of your speakers?)

Well don't plug your speakers directly into there....go to a hardware or audio store and buy a 'Y' splitter with a headphone jack on one end and 2 female headphone jacks on the other. Plug this into the front speaker jack and then you can plug your front AND rear speakers into this - voila 4 speakers coming out in sound with headphone pre listening.

Luckily I have a Creative Gigaworks system that allows 5.1 - 7.1 upmixing so this then routes the sound to another 2 speakers (giving 6 output speakers in all) but you could get more speakers to run if you bought 2 'Y' adaptors (allowing you to put 3 sets of speakers into the front speaker jack of the console). If you have any surround system with a sub then the sub should be working anyway.

These adaptors are really common and should cost no more than $5 - and it saves you rewiring (wrecking) your speakers!

Simple - but it works - just make sure you buy a stereo adaptor and not the more common mono one (you can tell the difference by looking at the connector - if there is one black band it's mono - 2 bands and it's a stereo one!)

The sound quality is not affected and you'll get stereo sound out of 4 speakers.

I know it's simple but - just trying to help!

Posted Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 10:52 pm
According to macourteau you get only 2 speakers out of DJ console in Advanced mode.

And SPARKY I know that you can tie up many speakers using Y adapters.

But at least in Advanced Mode, the back port (3-4) which is the center speaker, had to be cut automatically and transferred to front headphone port.

In this case you wouldnt have to unplug your center speaker.

Posted Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 6:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)