Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Drastic help needed hooking up U46DJ sound card to laptop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
HI,

I need step by step to hook up sound card. It is not working at all- loud buzzing, no idea what to do.
And the weekend is almost here.

Thank you.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 6:51 am
NiemsPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Is this your first time hooking up the soundcard?

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 11:54 am
Yes, unless you include the 4-5 times I tried tonight.

Can you help me start to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 12:24 pm
Need some info first:

1) Did windows pick it up and install its drivers without a problem? Ie "Your hardware is installed and ready to use" balloon popup came up by the clock?

2) Does the buzzing occur when the unit is running of USB power as well as its external power adapter?

3) Does the buzzing come out the U46DJ outputs or the computer's outputs or both?

4) Are you using a laptop?

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 12:45 pm
Thank you- I will answer all in detail,

but before I do, I noticed that it did not come with the power cord and since it got its power from the laptop, my friend and I who took it out of the box thought it was weird at first, but then didn't think much.

If you think that could make a huge difference- i can figure out how to get one first then start again.

Your thoughts?

1) WIndows did pick it up, it is in the bottom right corner, when I put my mouse over it it shows U46 DJ v1.0.16

when I click on that icon, I get the little mixer, all lines are present, I muted the MONITOR (1,2,3,4- thought I read this somewhere).

2) didn't come with power adapter so cant answer this yet

3) reagrding the crazy buzzing...

when the 2 cd players are plugged into the inputs on the u46DJ and the USB is going from the U46DJ to the lappy, no buzzing,

as soon as the rca goes from the outputs on U46 to the mixer, there is hissing, sort of "interfernece" sounding" I did change RCAs, but that didn;t change anything.

the buzzing is just from the speakers in my room which are hooked up to the mixer which had no problems before this hookup.

No buzzing or sound from the computer

4) Brand new DELL 1710 XPS. Works fine with sound from the laptop and the program has been great.

if for some reason the probelm is when the mixer is involved, is there a way to test this before the mixer?

I am using TIme coded CDS.

Thanks for your dedication.

B

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 1:11 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
About buzz.. can it be Ground Loop problem? Search the forum for it.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 3:48 pm
@Alf

Ground loop?- I'm not using any turntables or anything.

This may help...

When I am not even in virtual DJ I still hear it the very second the usb cord from the u46DJ touches any part even close to the usb port on the laptop. I replicated the scenario on my desktop and no noise/buzz/feedback etc. at all.

I just went out and bought a separate power supply so the u46dj didn't get its power from the lappy and that didn't change anyting.

Any ideas???

Thanks- not much help from oanyone on this.

PRO 4.0 great = cant use without a sound card

B

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 4:16 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
does it make the noise when the laptop is running on battery?

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 4:53 pm
Ground looping has got nothin to do with turntables in this case.

I sometimes get it if there is a crappy power outlet at a party I do. In my country, the 3rd earth pin is situated such that it makes a triangle with the live and neutral pins. This makes it easy for me to flip the plug upside-down to isolate the eath pin, which stops any unwanted buzzing.

You can also get a little RCA ground loop remover box thingie, dunno where though. But ya, try on battery and see if its still there.

Check this out:

http://www.bcae1.com/glisoltr.htm

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

If you dont wanna make it up, try:

http://www.audioallies.com/getitem.asp?Item=B-25N&Sys=FR

IF this is the problem, you can cut or remove the ground pin on your laptop's power cord, but this is not safe in same cases...

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 5:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)