Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: promotional / mixed cd's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How has your people's experience been with Promotional cd Complitaltions that you have put together?

We are considering putting a "NOW" type cd or a "MUCH DANCE 2XXX" style as a promotion at the club.
I've already researched the licenceing and royalty issues that's actually very inexpensive. After finding out that I was amazed that anyone would pirate at all

Back to the point.

Have any of you folks put out cd's of this nature and how did they sell?
Did you market tham in stores or only in clubs where you were playing? The last thing I want is to do a run of 2000 cd's and not be able to sell the god damn things.

Get back to me

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Thu 28 Sep 06 @ 11:21 pm
I spend quite a bit of time in Ayia Napa and a lot of the clubs there do them, you can buy them in the local record stores. I actually buy a handfull when i'm over there as there are some really good remixes and tunes you don't get here in the UK. They sell for around 5 Cyprus pounds so you can do the conversion to your currency to give you an idea. The CD's are professionally done and printed up with the club logo. They rarely have a track list on them but in the record shops over there you can listen to the CD's before you buy.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 2:34 am
so Nobody has approached this?

Tophouse thanks for getting back to me, and 5 CYP is about $12.00 CND.

Posted Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 10:57 pm
DJ Marcel_1 wrote :

I've already researched the licenceing and royalty issues that's actually very inexpensive.

could you tell me more about please? Have you already taken contacts with records etc? What has been the deal? I am really interessted :)

thansk in advance

Posted Sat 30 Sep 06 @ 5:48 am
No It was even easier than that, You're in belgium so I would have no Idea how royalty payments would be handled there. In Canada there is a shell group that collects royalties for this kind of purpose. What happens you pay a fee PER SONG & PER COPY, so on a 15 song CD at 2000 copies you pay X Amount. It changes from title to title as well. there's a time limit as well if the song is under 5min then the fee is X if the song is longer than 5min then the fee is Y.

It's that Easy
Step one: Create, Mix, and record your playlist as professionally as possible.
Step two : Go to the Royalty/licencing control bodie for your county/city
STep three: Purchase Mechanical License for X copys of your cd (Provided the artist allows for this type of re-packaging)
Step Four: Go too a recording/dupication service with your master copy, artwork, and paperwork to prove your cd is legitimate and get your cd manufactured.
Step Five: SELL SELL SELL and pray you didn't fuck up and people actually want to purchase the thing

steps 1-4 are the easy part. Step 5 is the one I'm having the trouble with. I'm still researching how to market an independant compilation without spending obsecne (in my opinion) amounts of money.

It can run into the 1000.00's of dollars to produce a professional quality cd and with all the I's dotted and T's crossed. which is why I wanted to see if anyone else had done it and wanted to know they're results.

Anyone? Mcfly? Beuller? Anyone at all?

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion Nightclub

Posted Sat 30 Sep 06 @ 4:41 pm
thanks for your explanation :)

Posted Wed 04 Oct 06 @ 5:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)