Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: 'line in' in dj console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it possible (if not with the console version, then with 2.0) to use the line in on the dj console? So I can play records/cd's on an external player? If so, how?

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 5:19 am
You can not connect a turntable. The output of the tables are too low.

You can connect, without any problems, a regular CD-player with two cinch cables. The output of that device is high enough so the dj console can pick up the signal.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:30 am
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djelof:

Sorry but if you are right on levels, the DJConsole will allow you to record this input using a sound software like cool edit (for exemple), but you will not be able to send this input directly to the ouput of the console.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:35 am
I've asked around for it and they told me that the level is too low from vinyl players. Perhaps it will pick up the sound, but too low. So you won't be able to do much with it (even when you use MP3gain or another program).

Never tested it though.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 9:26 am
So is that a dj console 'flaw' that it wont pick up the turntable signals, so if I connect the turntable to my soundblaster soundcard it would work? (can't test that, cause my computer is not here right now).

Or would an amplifier do the trick, between the turntable and the dj console/soundcard?

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 2:06 pm
I have Technics and want my vinyl to be recorded (those darn tracks that you can not find at CD). I bought a cheap amplifier (about 30 EUR), but the sound came in too hard. I couldn't adjust it to lower. Had the problem with my notebook and my PC. Could be that the 'on-board sound system' is too low.

Now I bought Steinberg Clean Plus with USB preamp. It works... but some vinyls are clipped. I have no idea how to resolve this problem. On the support of Pinnacle they ask me to use other turntables. Yeah right... like Technics is such an exotic brand *sigh*
When I encode vinyl: about 4 out of 7 tracks are clipped (over saturated [in dutch: overstuurd]). So I can only use a few of the recordings. Still working on that.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 3:15 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
djelof: there is a very easy way to fix this problem.
if you have turntables you would have a mixer correct?
just plug your tables into your mixer and use either a zone out, sub out, or master output to input into a standard line input on your computer.
this way you have complete control over the volume/gain going into the computer so you can adjust it so it is not clipping with ease. just dont turn the volume sliders all the way up.
most recording programs have a vu meter built in that displays the peak db levels so you can play the song you are going to copy set the correct level coming out of your mixer so that it does not clip and simpally record your mix.

it is not necessery to plug your turntables directly into the computer (via a phono/line amp) these phono line amps are also built into your mixer however the mixer gives you alot more control over the output levels

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 3:31 pm
Tried this also, and found that the sound was not so good. It felt like being 'compressed'. Really difficult to explain, but it was not good quality. And trust me.. I tried and tried and tried ;-)

I want superb recordings, therefor I clean up my vinyls to make sure they have the least of surface noises.

Posted Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 10:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)