Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Data Contingency...Whats the best Utility

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

The word Virtual stipulates near, effective, essential which simply means something of “IMPORTANCE”. As a Digital DJ, I can’t even envisage the catastrophe if I should lose my music/installation files. It’s of most significance that our data files are backed up periodically and kept in a safe reliable environment for future reference. Some persons will over emphasize by stating we need to “back up the contingency” in order to signify the reality of safekeeping our data.

As far as I’m aware, WINDOWS has an integrated Backup Utility within its Operating System. A few BIG questions will follow, are we satisfied using this standard? How many alternative methods are readily available? How can we re-assure ourselves that files will be readily available in worst case scenarios? And the list of questions would be endless.

I was kind of disappointed that the new Virtual DJ didn’t have a simple utility to promote so to speak data contingency. To me it makes no sense in focusing on all these features of the software and not instilling best practices for end users and also be a pioneer in having such features integrated in your software. Well since users will have to impart on our own initiative I ask the question, what plans do you have in place for your files? I would hate to be the lone soldier who is concerned about data especially since we are in the binary age.

Well I guess its time to get the feedbacks…so happy feed-backing hehe

Heres a screenshot of Windows Backup Utility

This is how a user would locate this application

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:31 pm
I think you kinda answered your own question. Why would Atomix get into the data backup game when there are so many options out there to choose from. If you are worth your weight as a DJ, you already know to keep backups of your stuff. Preferably on a seperate hard drive in a different location. Education on backing up your data and methods on how to do it should be the key. Not seperate software to acheive it.

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 3:14 am
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I back up my vdj database and other files in separate folders on my laptop and on two other external drives. My music is currently on 2 external drives and a separate computer.

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 3:39 am
I also make backups to an external harddrive. Both my vdj files and my music files. I created some scripts (Windows command files) using Robocopy. Robocopy is a free copy tool from Microsoft. You could simply mirror drives with it. In this case both the source and destination folders will be synced. Only the changed / new files will be copied. Using this method is easy (just double click on the cmd file) and fast, while only the changes since last backup are copied.
If you need more info or some examples, please let me know.
Ewout

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 6:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)