Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ stops or has a critical error when analyzing mp3's

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

gvmusicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
VDJ stops or has a critical error when analyzing mp3's

Help, what can I do to stop this?

Thanks for any help. GVMUSIC

Posted Thu 08 Jul 04 @ 9:25 pm
I had the same issue and I noticed it happened only for tracks that were longer than 10 minutes. I found that in the setup there's an option to tell VDJ how long it should preload, I changed it from 10 minutes to 15 minutes and now the problem is gone for me. Apparently you can also disable preloading but I'm not really sure about this one.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 2:11 am
preload is different from analyzing a track, i think...

preload is how much of the mp3 to put in memory, and if the song is really long, setting it to for eksample 10 mins can be good...

but analyzing mp3s? are u doing a hard-disk scan?
I have seen vdj crash if the file-name or the folder is too long... try placing the mp3 folder in c:\
And if there are incomplete downloads, try hide them from vdj (winmx got really really long names for incomplete downloaded mp3s = crash)

hope that helps

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 1:05 pm
I have the same problem.

It happens when i'm analysing complete directories and it does NOT happen when i do one song at a time (even from the same directory that poped the error).

I'm using 3 different computers and it happens on all of them.

Specs :
1. Compaq EVO 1020N laptop, P4 (NOT mobile) 2.4Ghz, 512Mb DDR, 40Gb, Emagic's EMI 2|6 USB sound card,ALI chipset and ATI Video card.
2. Compaq NX5000 laptop, 1.4 Centrino, 512Mb DDR, 30Gb, Hercules USB, Intel chipset and Video card.
3. Desktop, Asus P4P800 Delux E, P4 3Ghz Prescot (1mb Cash), 1Gb Dual 400 DDR, 2x250Gb IDE 8Mb Cash + 120Gb SATA, GForce 128Mb.

Posted Fri 09 Jul 04 @ 11:23 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
do you have very long directory / file names i've heard of some crashes caused by this problem, maby you need to limit the amount of charactors used in your directories

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 1:26 pm
It's got nothing to do with the Dirs or filenames length - it happens randomly even on files that has short filename, short ID tag and stored on the root directory.

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 2:29 pm
never had that problem, only with really really long file names, or directories...

sounds strange...
what program did u use for rip? maybe that would lead to a clue..

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 3:40 pm
I just fixed this on my pc. When scaning the hard drive it would stop and give the death screen. I moved the death screen and found the song that it was trying to aquire. I then closed out and found the song on my hard drive and shortened the name. I use Music match to load music and had the boxes checked (by mistake) in the track directory to include the album, track number, artist, and track name. I only used this at first, then unchecked them because the tracks had a very long name. I had to change all the ones that were recorded this way, just using re-name (right click) and eliminating the first segments of the name. Good luck!

Posted Sat 10 Jul 04 @ 8:50 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
are they encoded correctly? i had that problem with long fil names and bad encoding

Posted Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 7:42 pm
i to have now encountered this problem with some mp3s i just recieved from a friend. I managed to get VDJ to send of an errror report so hopfully it will be fixed in the next release. (although it crashes completly after sending the error report and does not recover)

diagnosis of the problem is that

1) it only happens when you are scaning more than one file at a time.

2) it works fine if you scan the problem files individually (either drag them onto a desk or right click and analise)

3) always happens on the same files ie. "Dj Shadow And Q bert - Live Mix" 33,778kb and "Buck 65 - Sounds From The Back Of The Bus" 5,727kb

4) the error message that appears is "Fatal Error in file I:\Other\Tims\Buck 65 - Vertex\Buck 65 - Sounds From The Back Of The Bus.mp3" and an OK button

5) if after clicking ok you go and click on another folder in the vdj directory tree it will crash the program. Recovery window does appear so you can send of an error report but the program does not recover after this.

This problem needs to be looked into properly. It apears that with the songs i have aqquared yesterday (they came on MP3 cds so i dont know how they were encoded) vdj doesn't like somthing about them.

I used the MixMister program on these before i scanned them with VDJ and the all scanned and updated there BPMs properly, also no other programs have had any problems playing these, (including VDJ if you just drag the song onto the desk and press play). it only happens when scanning multiple files at once.

I can send in a whole heap of files that cause this problem to the VDJ team if required, as i have isolated quite a few.

Posted Sat 17 Jul 04 @ 1:42 am
convert them and the problem is over!!!

Posted Sat 17 Jul 04 @ 6:43 pm
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I've now experienced the same exact problem unfortunately, keep getting fatal errors when analyzing in batch.

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 12:10 am
the thing is that once you get VDJ to analyse the song that is playing up (takes abit of trying) it works flawlessly. no probs at all. the MP3s (that it crashes on) are fine and play in all players, ther must just be somthing very small thats different about them, and if it is it should be able to be fixed

Posted Thu 22 Jul 04 @ 2:53 pm
djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've been playing for a year and now that i updated to 3.2 i receive fatal error several times a night. Is a known bug? is anoying working like this

Posted Sat 24 Dec 05 @ 6:27 pm
woodsyPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had this problem of VDJ crashing on analisys, My cause was a faulty mobo, strange thing is it would run everything else fine exept VDJ analasys. What I found was during its scan VDJ uses 100% of CPU, no matter how fast or slow your PC is, this caused heat around the CPU resulting in the crash, a new mobo sorted it. (after weeks of head bashing)

I find MP3tag good for batch renaming mp3 files if this is your problem.

I too have problems with the new 3.2, mine are related to the lame encoder when streaming, details here ( http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/44197/Software_Technical_Support/LAME_encoder_causing_crashguard_activation__MP3PRO_.html ) , other USB related crash problems with MK2 Console were cure by flahing a beta mobo bios and installing the latest 4in1 "454" drivers

Posted Wed 28 Dec 05 @ 1:00 pm
I have experienced similar crashes when analyzing, but it turned out to be that the file that caused the crash was a .wma file. I thought it was an MP3 but it was a .wma. I didnt see it at first because of the hidden file extensions in windows. Looks like there are issues with .wma files. Double check the file extension. You might find the same cause.

Killabee44

Posted Fri 30 Dec 05 @ 8:54 pm
Hi
Seems we all in the same boat with this problem,really frustrating not being able to analyze more than one song at a time,myself to scanning nicely ,then bang.. virtual dj freezes up and you have to restart all over again.
Maybe our New year resolution will be this will be sorted out..
Anyway when it has analyzed properly it is fantastic to work with..

Cheers Graham musicmatch

Posted Mon 02 Jan 06 @ 8:11 pm
there has also been reported that some have issues with file protection activated in Windows/Anti-virus.

And not letting Virtual DJ allowed to change files, would make it crash when analyzing tracks.

Thought I should mention, if that can be someones problem here too :)

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 7:01 am
Hi
Thanks for reply,i have found that if i convert all my files into mp3 format, then it does not freeze up ,as some are in window media as well,time consuming ,but at least i can now analyze my files
Thanks Graham [musicmatch]

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 8:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)