Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Will this work?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Im no pro DJ. I DJ at a local bar. Nothing fancy. Our set up now is only 4 speakers. (Not sure what kind but I seen the price tag, and holy crap they arent cheap) 2 cd players. a karaoke player. a mixer and an amp. and Oh yeah. 3 mic's.

I am buying a laptop and will be going with 2 soundcards. (still not even sure how to hook it up yet, but ill deal with that after I get my laptop)

Will VirtualDJ HomeEdition 2006 work for me?

All Im looking for. Is to play music. Maybe some video's. Do some Karaoke. maybe a little mixing. I wont be using any turntables as its not really that kind of bar.

My whole idea of going the laptop way is to get rid of the cd players and whatever other equipment I can.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:31 pm
Depends...

If you want to connect it to an external mixer, with one channel out for each virtual deck in software, you need both two soundcards or 4.1/5.1 soundcard AND the pro version.

You can mix and prelisten with ONE soundcard on the home edition (using Hercules console OR a 4.1/5.1 soundcard), BUT this will be done in software then, and would not be as good as doing hardware mixing on external mixer.

Adding to that, home version is at 3.4, while pro version is at 4.0.

And with the internet download discount (30% off), there really isnt that much to save with the limited home edition.

Would warmly recommend PRO version, as long as its used live. The home edition is ok at home, for practice, but for a working dj the pro version gives so many benefits, its really needed....

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:36 pm
Yeah I was just looking at the products page again. I think you're right. With the 30% discount. It would be stupid not to go with the pro. If I have questions regarding the software im sure I can ask here without getting flammed like other websites.

But overall. Is it a fairly easy program to run?

I will be running it on an Windows Media Center system. I should also mention that I have a remote for my sound and video cards. Less use of the mouse. mostly to be used when I have the big screen on and not at my booth. So I can adjust my sound etc etc.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:42 pm
The software is very easy to run yes ;)

You should try the demo first, just to make sure its what you want.
I'm sure you will like it;)

And you remote for soundcard will work, if its for the main out of your soundcard.

And VDJ also have such features as automix, that can be good at small pubs, before crowd gets there, and make playlist etc.

As for video, did not think much about that in your first post, but for video mixing you HAVE to use the pro version. The home version does not support video out on external monitors

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:47 pm
Talking from my experience only I am going to tell you to make sure you have a CLEAN install of your OS. I have a Dell that came with Media Center and I am having nothing but problems, but whosetosay this would effect others. I am by no means a computer or VDJ wiz but I am trying to help. In my situation I am in the process of installing XP home. I have noticed that with the media center I had it had 42 processes running at startup. With XP home I am down to 24 with anti virus running. Hope this helps a little.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:48 pm
yupp, I can only stress that all should test the demo first, to make sure it works on their system (and it does on almost all pc's)

But regardning media center, might be an issue, And Discobrian can be the first to find out, after testing a new clean XP install.
It might also not be the Media Center, but rather the build of the pc (chipsets, drivers, conflicts)

There can arise issues with any software on any pc, so regardless of what software you are going to get, try the demo.

And if problems, ask in a forum, to see if such problems are easily solved or not.

But PC's comes in so many shapes and fashions, that no software work on ALL PCs.
VDJ does a better job than most software I've tried, not to mention games... :) Nevertheless, try before you buy... and ask if there are issues, maybe it can be helped :)

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:54 pm
Yeah. I have seen mixed comments about WMC. Some good, Some bad. But if WMC causes me any problems ill just go buy another copy of XP home.

And the automix feature is good. Because I pretty much put a long play cd in untill the crowd starts showing up. Then I get up and work my magic. :\.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:54 pm
Im trying to install the demo. But its freezing when it gets to 1% left

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:55 pm
Thats the amazing thing about the software, you can like in my case set up 20 music videos and walk away. I love that feature for the daytime cosmic bowling we do without a DJ. That is kinda what sold my management on VDJ and such. We are a venue that plays music from the time we open til we close. We only use a DJ on Mon, Fri, and Sat.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:58 pm
Hmm... Turn off antivirus, and firewall. Think the demo looks for update at the last % of the install

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 7:58 pm
I just redownloaded it. Works fine now

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:06 pm

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:10 pm
Thanks for all the info, and so far so good with the demo. Love it. Much better then the "other" program I tried. lol

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 8:21 pm
so get it!

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 11:11 pm
haha. I am I AM

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 6:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)