Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ 4.0 beatlock / sync question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've been playing around with v4.0 for a few days now and whilst most of it is great, there's one bit which is driving me mad!!! Hopefully someone might know a solution. :-)

When I'm mixing 2 tracks together, and bring in track 2 with beatlock engaged, if I am a split-second late VDJ will drop a beat and sync the second track to a beat later than I want. On previous versions it would 'catch up' automatically and sync to the 'closest' beat. Version 4.0 seems to sync to the 'next' beat rather than the closest beat, so if you are the tiniest bit late you've had it. You can be significantly early and still get away with it - is this deliberate?

I've tried changing all the settings I can and it still seems to happen - anyone got any ideas? If it did this when I was significantly out with the second track I could handle it, (because I'd know it was my screw-up!), but you only have to be a micro-second late with v4.0 and it completely ruins the mix!

I'm using a laptop with an Intel Centrino Duo T2050 (1.66ghz), 60gig HD, 1gig ram, Intel 945GM integrated graphics, and a Hercules Mk2.

Any solutions would be hugely appreciated!!!

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 12:28 pm
I have had the same issue, especially if I use the sync button on any skin...
If I line up the beat manually , hit sync on the skin, then use the space bar...it seems to be ok...I miss the old "Sync" as it always seemed to be perfect. when you set it to Sync and play off of a skin doesn't seem to work as well.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 06 @ 3:28 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Can you try right click on mouse on Sync button? It is working fine for me.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 1:46 am
MyzraelHome userMember since 2006
I don't like the new sync either.......feels odd.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 11:13 pm
Just right-click sync in new default skin, or change the xml to "sync_nocgb" for left click if you like

And/Or make a keyboard shortcut for "sync_nocgb"

Thats the 3.4 sync behaviour ;) Its not gone, still there

Posted Wed 13 Sep 06 @ 11:28 pm
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
why did the team choose this 'sync' over the 3.4 version?
I think the majority prefers the 3.4 'sync feel from what I have read.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 1:36 am
the "new" sync is smoother for house/dance/trance and more steady 4/4 beat music.
It makes a better sync.
BUT, it uses CGB's (those dots under the beat peaks in the wave form)

So for this new smooth sync, CBGs must be aligned perfectly under beats.
That works great automatically for steady 4/4 music.

For urban, modern pop, rnb etc, the cgb's might be aligned wrong, even though the bpm is analyzed corrrect. You should adjust the cgb's to be under the beats, REGARDLESS of the new sync.
Because so many features depends on this (loop, sampler, effects etc).
Makes VDJ soooo much better if you do :)

As for the "old" sync, its still there, and will sync on beat peaks rather than CBG's, but less smooth in a live mix.

Its easy to change if you want it back, just edit the XML file for your skin, if it has new sync as default.
And edit the keyboard shortcuts for sync (spacebar) if you like too.

hope that helps ;)

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 1:41 am
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
it does thanks for the explanation, I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

Posted Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 1:44 am
Norway, I'm having trouble doing this while the song is playing. Can you do a quick little video demo showing how this works.

Thank you

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:59 pm

Doing what?

Adjusting CGB's?
Or using sync?

Posted Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 11:18 pm
both would be nice.

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 1:16 am
k.. will make one later..,.

But for adjusting CBG's on tracks playing, you can use a skin with CGB adjust buttons (Such as mixstation skin), or make keyboard shortcuts for that function.

Here is how:

here is how :
1. Go to the "keyboard shortcut" tab at the control panel of Virtual DJ
2. Press "ADD.."
3. Go to "RYTHM" in the first column
4. Go to "adjust_cbg" in the second column
5. choose the values "default deck" and a value ( in this case -64)
6. Assign it to a keyboard letter THAT IS NOT IN USE for other function (say the letter "N")

now you have a keyboard shortcut for SMALL adjustment for deck playing. It will move towards the left (negative value)

Do the same as above, but choose the value "+64" and asign it to different letter, say "M".
This will make the same function as above, but move small steps to the right (positive value)

This will make to keyboard shortcuts for small adjustments of CBG to fit beats.

The second 2 shortcuts you might wanna have is to adjust the BIG square to be aligned to the first beat of a bar (usually the first beat of a song, or the first beat where the vocal start). Reason being that beatmix with first beat of a bar aligned for both songs will sound ALOT BETTER then mixing without them aligned.

To make this keyboard shortcut, do the same as above, but change the values for :
1. "adjust_cbg4" (this will move the big square from beat to beat, and not small steps)
2. Set the value to -1
3. Assign it to a keyboar letter, say "CTRL+N" (or another letter not in use by other function)

To the same one more time, but choose the values +1, and asign it to a different shortcut (say, "CTRL+M")

For sync, same goes... Use a skin with "sync_nocgb" shortcut if you like that more than the new default sync, or right-click on the sync button in new default skin (v.4)

You can also make a keyboard shortcut for "sync_nocgb" or change the default spacebar sync to that, if you like

Hope that helps a bit:)

Posted Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 1:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)