Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ABOUT www.allofmp3.com

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
What do u think ??? it's an amazing site ....u can get all what u want for 0,15 aprox ...but ..is it legal ???

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 5:33 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i believe that i heard this is not legit.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 5:43 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
legal no, but not forbidden either.

In fact, the website doesn't give money to the artists, it only takes the money for itself.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 5:44 pm

Its Russian, and operates within Russian laws (or so they say...) But American lawers are trying to shut it down , but without luck.

The site essentially escaped on a technicality, since Russian copyright laws do not cover digital files.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 6:00 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the big question is ....can i play their mp3 if i pay ??

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:29 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Of course you can, but don't know in which country :) i know that in our country there is not possible to play any media from internet, even if you buy it.

It would be great to open new topic with this question, what do you think? ;) just to see where in the world you can buy and where you can play songs bought on web, at itunes for example.

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 7:57 pm
There was an item on the BBC about the site a few days ago. A UK lawyer said that they had the licence for selling the files in Russia, but not anywhere else in the world. So if you are in Russia it's legal to buy, but not anywhere else. Too good to be true I guess at those prices and high bitrates too.

I've given it a miss, firstly because it's not legal in the UK, but also because I'm careful who I give my credit card details to.

A

Posted Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 10:16 pm
I love the site!! I have been using them for a few years already. I have completed my personal collection of artist that I love like the Beatles, Alice in Chains, Depeche Mode, and others.

I tell everyone about it.

I was actually using the site when it was like $.01 (one cent) per megabyte to dowload a song. So a whole album would cost maybe like $1 at 192kbs. Can't beat that!!! They eventually raised their prices but it is still the cheapest and biggest library of on-line downloadable music I have ever seen.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 1:25 am
I can see that it's very tempting at such low prices. I just imagine the day when the inspectors call on me when I am doing a gig and start to look on my hard drive. That's what we're potentially faced with in the UK. Plus which if the artists aren't getting the payment for their work I feel uneasy about it.

It's quite easy to buy cheap compilations on Ebay to fill in the old stuff these days although not as cheap as allofmp3.com I admit.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 11:19 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Everyone of us must know our local laws about digital music (mp3, etc). In some countries if you buy it you own it, in others if the material is bought from an ilegal site you are guilty too, but focus, allofmp3 isn't an ilegal site under his country laws, in that way you are buying music in a "legal site". If you are question about the legality of the company, well that's not your problem indeed. If that was true in UK could forbide this site for UK users, and even that they could not do.

So in the meanwhile, it isn't right to don't let payed to the artists but it's a problem in Russia goverment, not for the Company. If you don't feel good that artist have no money about this site, don't buy here, but if your country laws don't forbide this site, you have the right to buy in there and even if a new law is comming, you could still keep your music, because the law comes after you buy this music in a "legal" site.

hard, isn't it?

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 6:59 am
myselfPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok, so if you have a library of music on your hard drive and it has all been ripped from cds that you own and have at home and an inspector approaches you at a gig, do you say I own all the music here it is at home. Do they then come to you house to check right away, or book an appointment or would they just arrest you oon suspicion???? Craig

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 2:47 pm
vidanesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I think they would have serious trouble to identify where my tracks came from! I own about 2000 cd's and I also buy music in allofmp3 and itunes and other legal sites. Some of my mp3 have been downloaded in the artists sites, where they offer sometimes rarities and other stuff. So how could they possibly identify all the music and know whether it is legal or not???

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 3:55 pm
But they don't need to identify all the legal music, just find a few illegal ones which is probably a lot easier. And don't think that the inspectors aren't around in the UK because I've seen them. And they can legally turn up with the police and impound your laptop or hard drive on the spot if they have suspicions that you have illegal tracks, so that it can be checked up on.

If I was an inspector I'd use a mp3 tag reader and go through some tracks on the spot. How many people have looked at all their mp3s to see what all the tags contain or even looked at their hidden
tags or other information on the file. If you haven't I recommend that you do.

It's a bit sad, though, because at one time one of the things that made a good dj was the record collection that he/she worked so hard to build up.

Posted Fri 08 Sep 06 @ 8:01 pm
Man-Tk wrote :
the big question is ....can i play their mp3 if i pay ??

no, legally you can't. when you purchase a cd, or an mp3 off a legit site, you are paying for a license to play that track. whilst these russian sites are currently getting away with selling these files, buying them (unless you are in russia) and playing them is 100% illegal.

in short, no.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 12:29 am
It's a minefield for DJs in the UK. - Maybe it will get clearer soon. I don't want to give the impression that I agree with the DJ licence here - cos I don't. It could potentially be like a police state for DJs. Legitimate ones with something to lose will need licences and to be above board. Cowboys will just download a lot of crappy files, not buy a licence and do a runner with their laptop if they get an inspector turning up at a gig. Things were much simpler when we just had lumps of vinyl to bung on a turntable. But it was a lot more expensive too.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 06 @ 1:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)