Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Going Back To 3.4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ YogiPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I must say it hurts to make a post like this. I love the new sound in version 4 but thats about it. I have 2 machines, a pc and a laptop each has a different soundcard and I use the Hercules MK2 on both so thats 3 soundcards altogether.

The main quirk is the bass eq controller, when I move it a click or pop can be heard and it happens more often than not. I've tried various settings in the performance menu but to no avail, even tried re-installing but that did not work either. At first I thought it was a problem with the hercules but it wasn't the same thing occured on both machines with the internal souncards engaged and moving the eq with the mouse. I am convinced that this is a bug that needs to be sorted out.

I DJ on a local radio station and having a crackle and pop everytime I move that control won't sound good over the air. 3.4 is no angel either for when you start it, the first couple tracks you load tend to skip and then it does not happen again (this does not happen in version 4 by the way, thumbs up) So you run a couple tracks before performing just to make sure you get the skipping out of the way and all is good.

So until then I will wait for version 4.1 which hopefully will have alot of bugs sorted out including the one I just mentioned.

PC & Laptop specs

PC
1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon processor
512 MB RAM
C-Media Audio Soundcard

Laptop
Dell Inspiron 9300
1.8 Ghz Pentium processor
1 GB RAM
Sigma Tell Audio Soundcard

Hercules DJ Console MK2

Posted Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 2:47 pm
rest assured friend, the dev staff has taken notice of this bug and will fix it for sure...

till then, of course, you will have to use 3.4...oh well...you might want to have a look at coco's fixes for the skipping..if you havent, that is...

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 6:53 pm

And you can lower the settings in VDJ4 to run just as 3.4, if you are having issues.

Go to general forum, and read the end of the Tips&Tricks thread, on how to make VDJ 4.0 run just like 3.4

Posted Mon 04 Sep 06 @ 7:06 pm
Thats just it Norway, I lowered the specs all the way down on both machines and the crackle and pop still occurs. Two machines and three soundcards can't be having the same problem, so it must be a bug. I've been diligently reading your posts as well as those of others and tried all of the recommendations and still the same problem.

I respect that it is basically a revamped version of the software so I accept that it will have bugs. Other than the one mentioned above, the software worked great and sounded alot better than previous versions. Hats off to the development team for their efforts.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:17 am
hmm.. Sorry to hear.

You are right, its a whole new soundengine, and brand new released for first time with 4.0
So if there are issues, Dev Team will work on them....

But as of crackles you experience with the lowest settings, turning on safe mode, should make you fine.
Even increase latency to 1024 or set auto.
Turn master tempo to fast.

Works just like 3.4 on my slower PC.

But there has been some feedback on not all getting trouble free sound with the new engine, so it migth need a bit of optimization.
So hopefully 4.1 will work better for you it tweaking down 4.0 to 3.4 standards did not help in your case

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:51 am
Here is a copy and past of a different post, maybe it can help :
Try AUTO for latency, and SAFE mode on. That "should" make you run in "3.4 mode"

---

THE AUTO SETTING FOR LATENCY
(thanx to Apopsis)

IMPORTANT:
the "auto" option does not automatically find the best setting for you, or other "magic" things..

*What it does is:*

1. in Asio mode it bypsass the vdj buffer/latency box and latency settings taken directly from the cards asio panel like in 3.4 (this works better for maya44usb & u46dj, and probably more)
In this case you need to set/confirm the cards latency in the cards own control pannel.

2. In directX modes it has fixed values: 512 (11ms) without safe mode checked and 1024 (23ms) with safe mode.

**Previous vdj versions had fixed latency at 512 (11ms) and safe mode checked.**

Use these informations to tune your system like in vdj 3.4 if you wish.

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 12:55 am
I'll give it another go with the recommendations you gave. Thanks for the assistance guys.

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 2:38 am
To - DJ in norway - (as I trust your opinion)-

I just can't fathom why they team would take away Sync.

The forums are rife with users that state many songs never get an accurate CBG no matter what you do. Somethimes you want to focus on the mix and not fiddle with bits and bobs trying to align on the fly (and yes I know we all must do that from time to time). Seriously, many analogue recordings just don't do well with anything other than sync as opposed to CBG match.

I know we can all make shortcuts for everything, but I just don't get why they would take away a useful feature!

Please elucidate!

Ronny582

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 2:29 pm

The default (skin) sync in 4.0 is new, its smoother and aligns to CGB's... as you say :)

But the 3.4 sync is not taken away. Simply add a shortcut for sync_nocgb, to keyboard or in skin.
And you have the 3.4 sync behaviour :)

Hope that helps :)

Posted Thu 07 Sep 06 @ 5:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)