Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: TCV 'obtaining' alternatives? just a few questions for y'all

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hello people. this is my first post here, as you can see i'm a 'no license' user. I've been trying out VirtualDJ for some time now, as i'm purely into vinyl records. I just wanted to jump into the 'digital era' with a nice piece of software, and i'm happy to say, that i finally found what i was looking for! VirtualDJ is tha bomb. (i just hope there'll be a free upgrade to 4.0 in two weeks, cause i didn't get all the money for the soft.....YET!!).

Anyway, as i'm using turntables and i've got a nice soundcard on board (Maya44) i thought of buying TCVs along with VirtualDJ. But the truth is, i'll be flat busted after buying the soft alone.
So, i tried to figure out an alternative for buying (and paying these awful shipping costs as well).

'How about pressing a custom vinyl?' - that's what i thought. Eventhough pressing a custom vinyl record costs some money, it still costs less than buying a record and paying for the shipping.

I consider this perfectly legal, as you give away free mp3's with a timecode signal, ready to burn on a cd.

So i figured out, that maybe if i downloaded that mp3 and had it pressed on a vinyl record, then MAYBE it'd work just like a regular TCV! The thing is though, that i'm not that into sound science to tell if that would really work, but I think it's at least worh asking you people. The staff maybe, i don't know, maybe somebody who commited that kind of procedure.

So, WILL IT WORK?

That's the first question, the second one is simple.

If i buy a TCV and make a copy of that vinyl, will that vinyl work as well?

Plus - are timecode signals on a CD different from a Vinyl?
I'd appreciate any input on this issue, as i'd really like to use TCVs with virtualDJ.

Thanks again,

soon to be happy Pro User of VirtualDJ (YAY!!!!)

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:09 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The 199 price is for ver. 4 you can longer buy ver 3.4, after you buy ver. 4 you can ask for 3.4 if that's what u want. sorry i can't help you on the details for the tcv's

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:14 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
What can i say.. LOL Are you serious? Do you have vinyl maker at home?? huh.. how much does it cost? :D

I saw once that unit.

So let's go to your questions..

It won't be legal because TC signal which you can get by downloading mp3 is for record it to CD. After all you can't be 100% sure that it will work. This signal has to be perfect recorded and that is possible just if you buy it, not record it.
You can still try, but i think it is not legal because it is signal for CDs.

Yes, signal is the same for vinyls and CDs.

But i really doubt that anybody already tryed to copy vinyl :D Try and tell us results :))))))))))) You can test TCV with tryal version of VDJ.

And welcome on forum! :)
See you as full member soon.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:17 pm
thanks xeon:)

no, i don't have that kind of hardware at home, i just know, that there's quite a few people out there, who offer that kind of service. hmm, as far as the CD vs. Vinyl vs. legal issue - hmm, i don't know, i think that to me it makes no difference, because you just need to transfer that signal to any kind of ..... plate, let's put it this way :) But if there's anything written about 'downloadable mp3 timecode signal should be burned on a CD ONLY' then....well, then i don't care, i can still TRY to press it on a vinyl.

I'm sure of one thing tho - If i get these vinyls, i'll have to make a copy, because i can't afford myself spending so much cash on just two vinyls. And i know i'm gonna scratch the shit out of these records, so it's best to have a spare copy or two.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:24 pm
So maybe someone else can answer it.

Yes, you can make vinyl if you like :)

You can also make copies of original cds and play them in public if you have original there too. So for backup. But it is something else that you even don't own original :)

So you can of course make copies of TCV if you like and if it will work :))

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:33 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Wow whats does a record cutter cost now a days? a few years back it was like 9,999.99

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:44 pm
I know :D I asked this question before :D

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:47 pm
Sounds like it would cost you more to get the record(s) pressed than it would to just buy the TCVs. Just my opinion.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 3:43 am
Surely though, to have a company press the vinyl, and then ship it anyway would be more expensive than just buying them and having them shipped normally?

Maybe: http://www.urpressing.com/twelve.html will help you in your dilemma..

(your most likely interested in the prices in the "One-Time Pressing Charges" section...

A bit more costly than 2 TCV.. :P

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 4:02 am
trust me, pressing 2 12" vinyl copies of TCV (if they work at all of course) would cost me 60% of what i'd have to pay for getting these records via this site.

This of course does not mean i'm not going to buy these vinyls, i will, i MUST :)

Plus, i live in Poland, so if you wish, you can check the shipping costs to my country (don't forget to add 22% VAT on the whole thing!). All these god damned taxes and fees just get on my nerves, but i know Atomix is doing the best they can to lower down these costs.

Oh, and BTW, do you know where is Atomix Productions HQ? Maybe someone i know lives nearby, so that TCVs would be bought directly?

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 9:51 am
I have a question regarding the pressing of our own vinyl as back up...

I still own TCV's I bought back in January of this year. The new version I haven't had ample time to experiment with yet. I know there is NEW TCV's for this new version. After quickly looking at the settings for TCV's on the new version it has a checkbox for "browser track". Will the MP3 timecode include the browser track for us to use it on the CD timecode and could we then in turn get that cut to vinyl in the same way and use it as back-up's ....

... after looking at the minimum to order for that (100 vinyls) ... man that is a lot of back up vinyls...

but may be worth it if you are that hard core on your records.

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 9:54 am
oh, and the guys who want to help me with pressing TCV's are working here

http://www.lay-belle.com/

And yeah, a copy of a TCV is more expensive than the original, (original - 16.43 euro, copy - around 18 euro) but at least i'm free of other costs.

thanks for the interest folks:)

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 9:58 am
Alright, good news people!

So i just got my custom TCV pressed by good people at www.lay-belle.com . I told them to press the Time Code mp3 downloadable from this site, and so they did. They filled the whole vinyl with the signal that was on the mp3 which was quite a surprise for me, because i thought that 12min material would take just half of the vinyl on each side. Instead they filled it with the signal from the begining till the end.

So how it works? Perfectly! Probably just like a TCV. I tested it with VirtualDJ 3.4 Trial and it worked very good. No song skipping, no 'reverse playing' issues, no glitches. (apart from some technical issues - i had to buy better RCA cables, cause the ones i have were bleeding distortion to main output).

Funny thing happened when i tried to configure the TCV. The signal was visible in the window, but TimeCode quality was 0%-1%. I'd say that usually it was just 0%. At first i was disapointed cause that'd mean no vinyl control at all. But once i hit the 'OK' button on the config, loaded a track, played the vinyl, then the mp3 started to work!! Amazing :) I guess that scratching is out of the game, (latency) but maybe i'll figure it out later on.

Oh, and i don't know how it's gonna work with VirtualDJ 4.0. I'm guessing it will be working as well , but i'm not sure about the 'needle drop' thing.

So to sum it up -
If you think that TCV shipping costs are too much, try and find someone who's gonna press your TCV's using a downloadable mp3 on this site. It's gonna work just fine, and you'll save about 30% - 35% of your money you'd normally cash in for a genuine TCV + shipping.
I'm getting another TCV pressed soon, and in 2 weeks i'll be a very happy person having VDJ 4.0. working smooth as hell!

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 5:28 pm
Timecode will work with VDJ4 too of course;) same timecode

regarding ZERO timecode signal indication, that doesnt mean that the timecode control will not work, as you have experienced ;)

But you might get issues with fast scratch. To get 100% timecode quality, make sure you ground your turntables to your PC, and use preamp/gain even if needed.

Hope to see you as a full legal users soon ;)

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 5:32 pm
that's cool.

as for the grounding, i grounded it all, i'm sure of that, i get nice clean sound from Maya, but it still shows 0%.

There's this other thing that happened to me using these custom vinyls. When the vinyl ends, the song continues to play anyway, but when i want to put the needle again it just doesn't control the mp3 anymore. so i gotta watch out for the end of the vinyl (which comes very fast) or else it's just keabord control. i guess asking for any help at this point is useless anyway. but hey 30% cheaper!

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 9:32 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
that is not normal in the full version, if you put the needle back on the vinyl after it has run out, the control starts up again and it will move joined with the TCV again

maybe this is a limitation Virtual DJ put on the demo version?

Posted Tue 05 Sep 06 @ 9:44 pm
bumping the topic again.

I'm really worried about one thing.
I just had another vinyl pressed, and got it yesterday. I thought that the vinyl losing control over the mp3 could be caused by bad pressing, so i gave it a try with another vinyl. The same thing happens. That is - vinyl loses control over the mp3 after about 15 min. Sometimes after the track ends (vinyl is spinning, i'm loading a track on a deck but vinyl doesn't pick it up. Very occasionally it picks up the track after I put the needle on the beginning of the record). Can somebody tell me if that actually is a limitation for the demo version? I don't wanna end up in deep shit once i get the full version and all of a sudden i'll be with no vinyl control at all. I'm really guessing it's the limitation put by the TEAM, if it is, that's a great thing to make such cheap bastards like me to buy this software to work properly :) Cheers mates!

PS. Why the hell do i always have to put up with all these strange problems....

Posted Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 2:57 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
You can use only one TCV for 5 minutes in the Demo so consider to get the Pro.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 12:19 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)