Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: My upgrade to 4.0 experience...Problems Solved

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SkiHogPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Like many of you, I too was anxiously awaiting the 4.0 release. And unfortunately like some of you, I too had issues when I upgraded. At first I was just using it to autoplay some music while I worked, and it would stretch the music strangely...actually seeming like it was trying to do a bunch of stuff I didn't want it to do. I just wanted to hear music...and make sure it wouldn't crash on me. Then I plugged into my Timecode setup and started really trying to push it. It didn't take long before all hell started breaking loose...especially when Video was involved. It would crash, video would just stop, or might not even play at all, music would skip...in general it was very bad.

So then I stopped and thought...ok, I KNOW they tested this stuff before it released, and I KNOW they would not have released it in this bad of shape...so what am I doing wrong. As a retail software developer myself, I can tell you that writing new software is relatively easy compared to writing software that upgrades itself or other software.

So I completely uninstalled VDJ...

1. Go into Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall VirtualDJ
  2. Moved C:\\Program Files\VirtualDJ to my backup harddrive (I didn't delete it because I didn't want to lose all my samples, effects, etc in case I go back to 3.4)
  3. Renamed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VirtualDJ to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VirtualDJ-Old
  4. Renamed HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VirtualDJ-Old

Now I installed VDJ4.0 fresh and clean. Then I made the adjustments that I needed to for my timecode and started playing with it. Other than the timecode tweaks, I left as much set to default as I could. My system is pretty powerful, so I set Performances Presets to "Best Quality" and set my Sound Card latency to "Auto". It successfully fixed my latency to 64...which is what I used in 3.4.

I have been messing with it for a couple of days now in both Timecode mode and Autoplay mode and it hasn't crashed on me once. My video is playing and mixing better than ever before. The scratching and mixing sounds just as responsive as before and better. I am very pleased...but I am still a bit gunshy to remove my old 3.4 files.

The moral of this story is...if it is acting up for you, get clean and try it again, and then try to use defaults as much as possible until your system stabilizes.

--Andrew

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 3:15 pm
Thank you for that feedback.

It actually seems that the few running into issues, a clean install can fix problems.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 4:13 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I did fresh install first time i get v4. This is maybe the reason that i don't have problems :) v4 just works ;)

Posted Thu 31 Aug 06 @ 4:42 pm
I installed the new version to c:progra~1virtualdj4 <---- because I assumed that if it crashed I could just go back in use 3.4. I copied my database and whatnot over to the virtualdj4 folder and found that this indeed worked great. Like a fresh install. The new directory has it's own registry information so the two seperate versions are never conflicting with each other. If I add new music, I open 3.4 and do it there, then copy the database again to "virtualdj4" folder.

:::CAUTION::: I read in the forum that once you copy your database to 4.0, it then becomes incompatible with an earlier version....not sure if it's true or not but just wanted to mention that.

I think anyone that has to reformat and install windows is just KRAZIE! That's just my opinion.

Virtual in my eyes, kept it's promise. The new sound engine is superior to the old one and furthermore....I've been a member since 2.6 There have always been and will always be problems with any software....it's common. Let's not forget Windows ME! There are billions of different configs... I just try to search the forums for the right fixes or solutions and usually there are good solutions out there.

I purchased the ADJ MCD-510 for a gig, because it had master tempo and mp3 features....and it was the BIGGEST embarrasment of my life. It was fatally flawed and cost me $700 (of course I returned it). Virtual is a far cry from $700 and once configured or tweaked the right way, in my eyes works fine 99.5% of the time. I think that's quite acceptable.

JasonG

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 6:21 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
jasontgrove wrote :
:::CAUTION::: I read in the forum that once you copy your database to 4.0, it then becomes incompatible with an earlier version....not sure if it's true or not but just wanted to mention that.

Yes, because it has some extra information added in V4.

Posted Fri 01 Sep 06 @ 7:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)