Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Opinons welcomed on new DJ set up I just built

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all...

I have been using the VDJ with TCV's and an Ecler Mixer for Video DJ-ing on a regular basis in a bar in Houston Texas.

My struggle has been trying to find the right portable solution to take with me everytime I go out.
I am only driving a small sedan and I already have my trunk filled with 3 powered mackie speakers and a speaker stands. The backseat is filled with everything else. I am suprised at what I have been able to put in my car.

This is my latest creation.. just built it today and going to be using it this Thursday. This a test model and would love to someday have this professionally built.

Just wanted to get some opinions on anyone who might be a turntablist who uses VDJ or even for Video using an Ecler Nuo 4 mixer.

Just finished building it and test it out with monitor and keyboard mounted

Monitor folded down.

Turntables and Ecler Nuo 4 on table top.

Everything hooked up to my TV to test it all out.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 6:46 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
This looks very nice, very well built!

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 6:59 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Very Nice Build, Do you plan on closing it all in - for transporting?

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:03 am
2 things:

1. very psychedelic slipmats is killing my eyezzzzzzzzzz
2. very good handwork, but shouldn't you paint it in black and put (forgot the word for the protection layer, it uses for protecting wood from scratching, and it looks nice) lak...

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:09 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Do you do your homework on that thing?

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:09 am
I have set up to fold up the monitor and using a bungee cord for now to keep the monitor from unfolding out...

Here is the cases for my turntables, mixer, keyboard stand and new table.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:10 am
I just built it today soooo.. haven't figured out painting, carpeting or any protection yet...

I have a friend who builds cabinets and remodels professionally and he said he would give a proffessional touch and help better my design next week. So hopefully here soon I will have a final product ready and maybe drafted out on plans for building more later on. I wouldn't mind getting odyssey building this for me.

One thing I do want to add if I can is a removable cover for the monitor.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:13 am
A little black paint, a black skirt, and I think you are good to go. Is the monitor permanently mounted, and if so, how do you protect it during transit? Is there a power strip mounted, so you only have one power cable coming from the setup? Is that a SFF computer on the cases, & how do you transport that?

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:21 am
I do have a powerstip mounted underneath where monitor is mounted.

I do use a small form factor PC I use with this set up because of the amount horsepower and storage alone compared to laptop.

I use this bag to transport the computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999041

works perfect for the larger small form factor cases... bigger than the shuttle cases.

Normally on top of the empty cases placed right next to DJ set up I would put my small SKB case that has a light co-pilot and power conditioner mounted in it and on top of that is a 10inch powered mackie speaker for a DJ monitor.

I also use a portable DVD player as a back up for my video shows. I have a DVD with some pre-mixed 3 video sets in different catagories just in case... which is rare of course with VDJ.

Keep in mind ... once again.. this a test build... I will have a final one built soon.. all painted and wearing a short mini skirt... growwlllllll....

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 7:35 am
Use this to lift your SFF in & out of the bag

and this to protect your monitor. I use them both. I also use a SFF, that I built with an Antec Aria case. Much better than a Shuttle, and way better than a laptop.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 8:00 am
Al,

Where do you play in Houston? I also use VDJ in the clubs here in Houston. I don't use TCV and would love to see it in action with video.

Rusty

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 10:37 am
Every Thursday I am at a place in Rice Village called Brian O'Neills doing video mixing. I have some other gigs in the works but that is my regular gig as of now. I was working at Drink Houston for over 2 years and Polly Esther's before that doing radio broadcasts and other stuff as well. I have been recently focusing on my business with my business partner and getting to the top of my game with video mixing. Hardly anyone in our market doing it at the scale I am ... or at least I have met anyone who is anyway. Everytime I do the video thing with turntables it just floors everyone... they have never seen such technology. I love it!! It is the best!! Being from the old school and growing up on turntables self taught makes it full circle for me being able to mix video with turtables. Wouldn't even have dreamed it 20 years ago.

btw.. my actual DJ name is Phat AL .. the low fat al thing was a joke that stuck several years ago.. I only use for e-mail and forums..

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 12:02 pm
low-fat-al, nice setup man, i like it, nice pair of decks duude

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 2:51 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Nice setup, but i would be affraid for things to slip. You would add a 3 centimeter high wooden board all around the "desk" so nothing could slip off.

And protect the screen for transport.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 3:13 pm
well I am working on the protecting the screen problem.. but I am not afraid of anything slipping of the table while in operation because I NEVER let anyone too close to my set up while playing live somewhere. And I doubt I would be dancing that crazy to accidently make a 30 pound turntable go sideways enough to fall off the table. Besides the only dance I do is the Pee Pee Dance... :-)

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 5:40 pm
I have a steady karaoke gig that I do on Thursdays that would limit me coming out. I do a video show at "Sharky's Machine" on Friday nights (sometimes split with a band). Though I don't use the TCV I do use a DAC 3. I was trained on 1200s in the early 80s, moved to CDs in 90s, then 100% digital in 99. I consider myself very apt at mixing and tend to get the biggest props when syncing up the videos with the live bands. I would love to hook up with you sometime and swap some battle secrets with you. Do you live in Conroe? I live in west Houston.

Rusty

Posted Wed 16 Aug 06 @ 11:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)