Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hints/tips for a 25yo beginner

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello!
I've been trying out this software(i know) for a month or so, i really enjoy spending time with it, even tho i don't feel like i'm getting quite the hang of it only by using mouse and keyboard.
I have no experience with dj'ing/mixing, but i've always wanted to try it, so now i'm pretty sure i'm going to buy the pro-edition, a DAC3 and a mixer. Is that all i need? of course i guess other soundcards than my Audigy2 ZS might be preferred, but i thought it might do to begin with(?)
At first i really wanted 2xXP10's but i think that the DAC3 is more suitable for me(not into scratching) i play mostly trance, dance and stuff like that. Please tell me if i am wrong here :)
I saw this other device searching on the net, of course i don't remember the name, but it had two controllers and a mixer built into one big....device. I dunno if this is supported by VDJ or anything but if anyone know what i am talking about i'd like to hear what you think about it.

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 4:36 pm
BCD2000 is the device i meant :)

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 4:38 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
dac3 is great controller. and it is fully suppoorted by VDJ. bsc2000 is newest controller with mixer inside. It is not yet fully supported, but it will be in version 4. Another option is DJConsole MK2 by Hercules. It is controller and mixer too. A little smaller than bcd2000 and it has possibility to plug 2 cd-players or TTs to controll VDJ.

So it is your choise. I would go to dac3 and external mixer if you don't like xp10 ;)

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 4:52 pm
yeah i've had a look on the DJConsole too, but some reviews i've read says that the crossfaders and jog-wheels can interfere some and....well it looks kinda toyish :) but i've seen many people that love it too tho :) but i feel more into the dac, but i can see that the BCD2000 is really cheap comp to the dac3 (only 150$)

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 5:14 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I know that, but you have to look to quality too. Ok to start you can use bcd2000. It is good as you can read on forum by owners. But i just can't immagine myself using just one box with everything :D

I just need to feel the mixer. Of course it is just my pinion :)

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 5:29 pm
Yeah, thats what my first thought was too, so i'm pretty settled with the DAC3 and a mixer, looking around for mixers now, of course i need no HQ-mixer for my home/hobby playing, but what do i need/what is cool to have in a mixer? Effects?

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 5:55 pm
In my opnion, bcd2000 is much better that dac3 and is not only for the price, since the advantages it has, you can use it as soundcard for tcvs, you can assign vdj samples to midi , currently you need the midi translator but when v. 4 comes it won't be neccessary.

Posted Sat 05 Aug 06 @ 6:09 pm
The DAC-3 would be your best choice if you want a professional dual-CD player + mixer setup. The DAC-3 already has full support in VDJ and works very well, especially if my custom mapper is used.

The BCD2000 is not fully supported by VDJ 3.4, but should be supported in VDJ 4. Because it is a MIDI controller, it's pitch will not be as accurate as the DAC-3 (MIDI pitch has 128 steps vs 256 steps of the DAC-3 - This means that you may find manual beat matching difficult even at 8% pitch range on the BCD2000 (128 = 0.125% adjustments at 8% pitch range, whereas DAC-3 gives 0.0625% adjustments.)

Also, the DAC-3 has LCD displays, which display time elapsed/remaining, and pitch %/BPM which is extremely useful if your laptop/computer is not directly in front of you (You can see the most important info on the controller without needing to look at your screen.)

My DAC-3 mapper v1.2 will allow samples to be triggered directly from the DAC-3, along with most other VDJ features, including video mixing with automatic crossfading. The v2 mapper that is currently under development will allow you to customise the mapping of the DAC-3 buttons to suit your own preferences.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 4:08 am
This sounds great, i'm 99% sure i'm going for the DAC, although as i can see many people are very pleased with both the BCD and the Herc. I what counts in advantage for me on the DAC is that it has a display (and backlit buttons?) and also the similarity to onther cd-deck-controllers, and i also feel more free to buy a mixer and beeing able to just replace with a better mixer when i can afford one, and regarding the XP10 whitch seems awesome, i think if i were going to do a lot of scratching i'd go for that, but since this is something i'm not going to use i ruled it out. But if i sometime wants one i could expand with just one XP10, right?
But regarding the mixer-problem, maybe i should make a new post but does anyone have a suggestion to what kind of mixer i should start out with, what features is good to have and stuff? Effects? I'm thinking about something below 200$ of course i'm thinking used, guess that is a good start and if i get good at this and wants to continue i could adwance.

Posted Mon 07 Aug 06 @ 6:55 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
yup! you can always expand your gear with just one xp10 later on down the road and add a second if you really love it.

as for the mixer- because you're not heavy scratching... i would reccomend getting a simple one for starters. maybe 2 or 3 channels. effects are not really necessary considering virtualdj software can do mostly all the effects an external machine could do.. and since you'll have assignable buttons with your DAC, you can control those effects from there too...

look for something with a nice equilizer to balance your sound- at least that is essential for me. Also, look for the style of pre-listening the mixer uses. Some mixers, I find just have terrible designs so it's a pain to pre-listen to a track when you're in a big hurry. what helped me most is to pretend to mix a song in your head. look at where your hands are going, what buttons you're having to push... you don't want to get a mixer that'll cross your hands and make you mess with a billion things just to transition two songs.

Kedar

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 9:53 am
Thanks, really helpful tips, only problem now seems to get the DAC to Norway for a reasonable price, a local dealer wants 800$ and for that price i guess i'll be better off with 2 used cd-decks(?) and i still have to buy a separate mixer. So that one is not i'n my price-class, cus i've seen the DAC on ebay for 250$ only they only ship to the US :(
Awaiting price from another dealer here, but I think it still would be a lot cheaper if i could get one from the us and avoiding the customs here in norway of course :)

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 1:19 pm
Cheapest and easiest solution for now is getting the BCD2000 from a local dealer for 315$ and it seems like a good piece, but i'd rather want the DAC and an external mixer setup

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 1:34 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
try messaging someone on ebay and telling them you're willing to pay the extra shipping if they'll fedex it or something... cause it'll still be cheaper for u technically.

who knows, maybe someone in the US will be nice lol

Posted Tue 08 Aug 06 @ 7:57 pm
Only people situated in the US with a US adress on their bBay-account can bid :(

Posted Wed 09 Aug 06 @ 5:24 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)