Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'd like suggestions on my new 1280 Skin - "Video Vision" - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Looks great so far here, wavforms are fine the way they are.
One thing I did notice is that there are no pitch bend buttons. And a few ofr the buttons don't light up, mainly the "Stop" button and some of the pitch buttons.

The layout is very clean, and professional!

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 2:31 am
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Okay... glad you like the waveforms. I did it the way i did because it doesn't take much space.

As for bend, you can actually right click on the pitch + and pitch - buttons to bend, or you can right click on the slider itself. (I should perhaps label that somehow). I didn't think that bend buttons were that useful... personally I just use the left and right arrow keys to line up songs, but maybe I'll do something like the following:

Change the pitch buttons so that on the top of the pitch reset button, there is a -/+ bend pair, and on the bottom there is a incr/decr pitch button pair.

For now you can right click...

As for lighting up, virtual DJ has to consider the buttons "selected" for them to light up. There is a "lit" graphic in the skin graphic, and it is defined, but it just never shows as selected. I think... correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think that stop or cue ever gets "selected".

Posted Mon 21 Aug 06 @ 8:24 pm
Supacon.........how is that video vision skin coming? IS it 4.0 ready yet? If you are still looking for someone to test it out you can send it to me at railroads2005@yahoo.com it is the closest skin to what I am looking for so far and it looks like most of the skin guys are backed-up for awhile so getting a custom one done may take awhile.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 7:21 pm
Hey dj-e-lectric:

You can download my skin at http://fullspec.ca/misc/skins

Just pick the version that fits your screen.

I need to change the effects buttons, and I'm going to switch the progress bars to use the new waveforms. I'm also going to find a place to put a CPU meter at the top.

Um... other than that, it works okay with V4, but I am not sure if I can make the text button do exactly what I want it to do. (go to the text entry dialogue). I'll have to do some experimenting. I'll be sure to make an announcement when I have the V4 skin done!

In the meantime, I'd appreciate your feedback on what I've already done.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 7:56 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I downloaded some of them but ... bad archive file.

Posted Sun 27 Aug 06 @ 8:21 pm
wonderful skin, I tried the 1280x800 skin but the keylock button wouldn't light up. besides that your skin is wonderful.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 2:35 am
supacon........I tried to download the skins but when I unzip them I get a file name with no extension. and had no way (that I know of) to load them. I tried just saving them to the skins folder but that didin't work and then I tried adding a .exe extension hoping maybe you just forgot to put it on the file name but that didn't work either............what am I doing wrong?

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 3:17 am
The files are fine, but sometimes the FTP site seems to be buggered and corrupts the files. It's weird. I just downloaded them, and they are fine. Try again perhaps.

I'm going to update the skins for V4, and then I'll submit them to VirtualDJ's site. That's something I intend to work on today, but I'm not yet sure how much work it'll be.

Posted Mon 28 Aug 06 @ 8:53 pm
Okay people, I've mostly completed a V4 compatible edition of my VideoVision skin, so check it out and let me know what you think. Most people will want to grab the big file which has the 1280x800 and 1280x1024 sizes.

http://fullspec.ca/misc/skins/

Thanks in advance for your constructive criticism and feedback!

Posted Tue 29 Aug 06 @ 11:21 am
Supacon, got your email, thanks very much. Loaded the skin, it is fantastic. Got to play with it for about an hour, very easy to navigate and find things. At first glance a few changes i would have liked for my style are (1) need 1/2 beat and 2 beat loop buttons, (2) need pitch bend buttons, (3) Audio fader above video fader just to match standard convention, (4) no pass thru or time code buttons (I don't use TCV) and instead would like 2 more cue buttons, otherwise it is the best one available yet.

How did you get the video to fade across automatically with your "take" buttons? Did you write a plug-in or is this a feature in the program no one has informed me about? I have posted numerous time I wanted this feature and have never gotten a response from anyone. If it is code you wrote or a plug-in is there anyway i can get it with instructions on how to implement it or if it a function in the program how do I map it to a keyboad shortcup?

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 6:15 am
Thanks for the comments e-lectric.

1. I don't think that half beat buttons are very useful personally, but I do agree that it would make sense to have a two beat button. I don't use the 32 beat button very often, so it might be possible to shift the buttons over to have 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 instead of 1, 4, 8, 16, and 32. If you don't mind the 1/2 beat button being very small, it might be possible to shrink all the buttons... maybe.

I'd also like to add a smartloop button in there somewhere... but where do I find the room? Perhaps I could put it where part of the deck selector is now.

2. There are two ways of doing a pitch bend currently (although not terribly obvious). You can rightclick on the +/- pitch buttons, and they act like pitchbend. Or you can right click on the actual fader to have a very controllable kind of bend. Perhaps I should somehow notate in the skin to right click on these buttons. Knowing that now, does that work for you? or should I perhaps make the +/- buttons smaller and have two pairs of them (one pair for incr/decr, and one pair for up down bend).

3. I wasn't aware of any such conventions regarding the audio and video fader positions... I personally think that the way I have it makes more sense, (video fader by the video preview window) and it is labelled fairly clearly, but if you wanted you could always swap the faders around in the XML... it wouldn't be too hard (but of course, the labels would be wrong unless I gave you a file without them).

4. You've got your wish about the timecode buttons, but at this point I could only fit in one extra cuepoint :)
Check the site for the latest version of VideoVisionv4 1200. I just put in a pannel there so you can switch between timecode and a cue5.

The autofade with the take buttons is cool, isn't it? It appears to be a new feature of V4. In the default video skin, that's what happens when you click on the right or left video preview windows. I thought it was an appropriate adjustment to my skin, in lieu of instantly cutting over to one side or the other. Uhm... the action for that is: action="video_trans" chan="1". It should be easy to assign a keyboard shortcut with that action.

I'll e-mail the latest to you just in case you're still having trouble with my FTP site, but everyone else, check the usual place: http://fullspec.ca/misc/skins

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 9:31 am
In response to e-lectric's suggestions, I've been thinking about how I could rework the skin to allow for the extra loop buttons that he wants. I'm seriously considering replacing the large deck selectors on the outside with very thin ones (like the ones by the new effects areas). This wouldn't be as clearly labeled, and wouldn't be as easy to click on with the mouse.

What do you people think? Is it worth making this selector smaller so I can get an extra loop button in the skin? I could probably also add another skip_beat button or label the fact that right clicking on the existing buttons doubles the number of beats they skips (i.e. right clicking on <-4 goes back 8 beats).

Some things about my skin just are virtually hidden features. i.e., the loop adjust buttons move the loop four beats if you right click on them. It'd be nice if VDJ showed the rightclick functions when you hovered over a button.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 06 @ 9:56 am
Just an update:
VideoVision4 Beta2 is available, and it has the extra loop buttons, and also dedicated pitch shift buttons.
http://fullspec.ca/misc/skins

Comments are welcome.
One thing I'd like to do though is to make the bend buttons labelled more clearly, I think. Also note that right clicking on the pitch incr/decr and bend buttons amplifies their effect (they work faster).

Posted Sat 02 Sep 06 @ 9:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)