Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: D-Vinyl 2020 controller vs DAC-3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

StylesQPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi, VD is compatible with both controllers in the config setup. Any thoughts on which one is the superior controller? They've both been out for a while now. Just curious on reliablity etc and layout, display, button quality)
Also to the owners of both, do they display the Artist and Song title?

Also, if you had to purchase again, would you?

Thanks for any input.
StylesQ

Posted Tue 11 Jul 06 @ 3:36 am
Having owned a D-Vinyl for a while in the past, and now a current user of the DAC-3, here is a comparison between the two:

D-Vinyl 2020:

• Obsolete and no-longer manufactured, so no more software/driver updates and replacement vinyls may be an issue.
  • 3u metal rackmount controller with plastic buttons and good quality switches behind them.
  • Needs external power.
  • Has built-in good quality ASIO soundcard with inputs for two record decks and dual outputs for connection to external mixer.
  • USB 1 device.
  • Vinyl control using its own timecoded vinyls. These do not support needle drop (Work like VDJ TCV in relative mode.)
  • Hardware bypass switch (Useful for playing real vinyls.)
  • From memory, the vinyl control worked well, but as mentioned above, was not position sensitive (No needle drop.)
  • Jogwheels are more course than DAC-3 (You can feel them click past internal contacts) and do not spin freely.
  • Pitch sliders are not as accurate as DAC-3 (Similar to MIDI), so even at 8% pitch range, the pitch % will sometimes jump 0.2% instead of 0.1% - This isn't too much of an issue when using the D-Vinyl records and using pitch control on the record deck, but if you want to use the D-Vinyl controller as a dual CD-style player, this will make accurate manual beatmatching more difficult.
  • As with the DAC-3, the D-Vinyl has lighted play/cue buttons and various indicator LED's.
  • From memory, the displays show time remaining or elapsed, pitch % and BPM separately, along with indicators for loop active, etc. They display black text with green/yellow backlighting. They cannot display track name/artist information.
  • Buttons to set loops and trigger FX (Only 1 FX can be triggered at a time, but this can be selected directly from the D-Vinyl.) The cursor buttons can also be used to browse files if I remember correclty. Also, I think you could browse with the jogwheels by pushing down on them.
  • Cannot be remapped and no SDK is available (But the default mapping is quite good.)
  • Various beatmatching buttons and walking beat LED's similar to Numark CDN-88 dual CD player (The middle row doesn't (Or didn't) work though.)

DAC-3:

• Current product.
  • 3U metal rackmount controller with rubber buttons and good quality switches behind them.
  • USB bus powered (No external power required.)
  • Has no built-in sound card (Maya 44, U46DJ, etc. is required.)
  • USB 2 device.
  • Can be used in conjunction with VDJ TCV's if required (Soundcard with two inputs required.)
  • Jogwheels spin freeely and allow accurate queueing.
  • Pitch sliders are more accurate than D-Vinyl (Allow 0.1% adjustments at 12% pitch range and 0.0625% adjustments at 8%, allowing more accurate adjustments for manual beatmatching.)
  • The DAC-3 has lighted play/cue buttons and various indicator LED's.
  • The displays show time remaining/elapsed and pitch % and BPM separately, along with indicators for loop active, etc. They display white text with blue backlighting. They cannot display track name/artist information.
  • Buttons to browse files/folders, set loop in/out, beat loops of various lengths, trigger FX, set/goto cue points and trigger samples (Some of these features are only available with my DAC-3 mapper.)
  • Video mixing features (Including automatic crossfade) and ability to change FX parameters (Both only with my mapper.)
  • Jogwheels can be used to browse files/folders using my mapper.
  • Abiltiy to write your own mapper using SDK.

Posted Tue 11 Jul 06 @ 7:13 pm
Nice overview jpboggis.
I don't know anything about the dac controller, while I never used it. I always use my dvinyl 2020 both as soundcard and controller.
I set it above my mixer and could therefore use short cables between the controller and my mixer. The only cable to my computer is an usb cable (see blog for some pictures). I like the controller a lot, buttons always work, display is clear.
I tried to get another one for backup, but stopped looking, while I'm waiting for the Numark iCDX. If that controller / player is working fine, 2 of them will replace my 2020.
If you have any questions please ask.
Ewout

Posted Tue 11 Jul 06 @ 8:59 pm
StylesQPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes, I agree; very detailed post!

I asked about the D-2020 cause' one of the guys on here has it in his blog pictures. So just curious how it was compared to the DAC-3.

After writing the post, I found this ad for yet another new piece of hardware coming out in late July/06.

It's a dual controller that connects directly to an external storage deivce (hard drive, Ipod etc) without the need of a computer. It has usb connections for up to 4 external devices. Hmmm... wihout the need of a computer = less things to break in the chain.
This unit looks sorta basic, but i read there is an advanced "2000 model" to follow.

See what u think. "shrugs"

http://www.djsupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CortexHDC-1000

Posted Wed 12 Jul 06 @ 3:25 am
I came across the Cortex controller a few months back and it's an interesting idea (It isn't available quite yet.) It would be great for anyone who requires dual-CD player functionality without CD's or a computer (Particularly a bonus if mobile - Even less equipment to carry!) Song browsing/searching might be a bit fiddly though on the small displays and without using a proper keyboard. I think the 2000 model also has touch-sensitive jogwheels, which will be of interest to anyone who's into scratching.

A similar product is the Numark D2 DIrector, which features a larger single display screen that would make browsing more friendlier. Being one of the new Numark products, it might be compatible with VDJ 4.0 too, so you could either use it in conjunction with this or use it stand-alone by itself. This would potentially be a great alternative to the DAC-3.

Posted Wed 12 Jul 06 @ 7:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)