Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM will not match up?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I play "techno" and when I get things going it seems the mixes are always 1 or 2 "clicks" off...and it sounds awfull? Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong!

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:20 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
if ur trying to match the blocks under the wave ..sometimes there off just right click on the deck and nudge it foward or back

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:23 am
TY...I'll give it a shot...so this program is not perfect then, correct? It will always need a slight tweek to make it perfect?

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:39 am
Wouldn't say it that way, more like the songs your playing have awkward waveforms...

VDJ only reads the high peak values as beats, which can have odd waveforms at times, with the peak either being ahead or behind the sound that we "hear" as the beat. this is what causes the slight delay, as VDJ is using the scientific beatmatch, rather than the audible one, as it were.

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:56 am
The software is the same as a turntable or a CD player, so you have to do the same things. I know that some DJs rely heavily on the visuals, but the mix is about the sound. You will still have to adjust the pitch up or down, to get the perfect mix. The bpm's may also be incorrect, so you may have to re-analyze

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 6:29 am
Ok...Gottcha...thanks for the help guys....
Mike

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 6:39 am
don't expect the software to mix for you...
that is cheating in my book.

back in the day we had records and didn't have waveforms and displayed bpm's and a MIX NOW button.
It was all by ear and feeling.

guess those days are gone... sigh...

that means none of the new blood will appreciate any of the new technology for what it can give the industry.

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 6:55 am
I agree its a hearing art, i dont understand why people would want to use the software to mix for them. similar to people using software to detect key.

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 1:09 pm
SimonBal1984 wrote :
I agree its a hearing art, i dont understand why people would want to use the software to mix for them. similar to people using software to detect key.

nah, two completely different things. i can beatmatch, having started on vinyls almost 8 years ago, then moving onto cds. i'm gonna be moving back a step, with virtual dj, opting for the time coded vinyls until the club i play at invest in some decent cd decks.
but i have just started to use software to detect the key. why? well when i was younger my parents couldn't afford for me to continue with piano lessons, so my skills aren't developed enough to figure out the key of a track on my own, but at the same time i don't want my mixes sounded awful because of key clashes. it doesn't mean i can't mix, it simply means i'm making an effort to improve my mixes.
i think beatcounters are acceptable as a tool for skilled djs. it can enable them to do much more with acapellas and effects whilst the track is playing, and only need to concentrate on the mix for a minute or so. but i do agree that people certainly shouldn't rely on them, they just give you a rough idea, you still need to be skilled enough to finely adjust the pitch, and adjust it if the two tracks go out of sync.

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 2:08 pm
Oh...well I have been spinning for 15 years all self taught...it's that just recently we had a baby and things are settling down and I wanted a way to still play but yet to have it be more quiet...this is the perfect tool to acheive this...I can lay down a set, in my head phones, and never make a peep! Trust me! I would rather be on my decks screaming!!!!

Posted Mon 03 Jul 06 @ 4:26 pm
secretsoul you can aquire perfect pitch if you have a little time to spare ;) check out avid lucas burge's stuff. anyway you you miss interprate my point, i use tap/autobpm for effects etc... but if im gonna my two tracks togethor then no., if you gonna use VDJ its a waste, you can get cheaper software do do the same :|

Posted Tue 04 Jul 06 @ 12:07 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)