Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Building the VDJ-database – USB HDD – other PC.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does any of you guys used a configuration whereby all your MP3’s are on a USB-HDD and then compile the database with another PC then used to play?
Meaning: I use a laptop with VDJ (works great) but it takes +- 3 days/nights to compile the VDJ-DB (+5000 MP3’s) so I would like to use another PC to compile is this possible?
VDJ 4.3 is installed on the same USB-HDD but when connecting to any other PC I get errors, can this be fixed or do I need to install VDJ also on the PC I use to compile & will the settings stay when I return my HDD to the laptop?
Is there another way to rebuild the DB faster?

Thanks for your help.

Djjan.

Posted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 9:14 am
Hi,

I have a laptop and home computer too and a USB hdd. What I do is simple, I just copy the virtualdjdatabase each time and put it on my HDD. When I get to the other pc I just copy the file and I got my updated database. It's also a great way to back it up.

Karlo.

Posted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 12:19 pm
Thanks, good idea.

But then I need to coppy all my MP3's to the other HD to right?

Posted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 2:07 pm
No. No matter where the files are, the database will do the job for you. By this I mean that if the files are in d:/music or e:/path/music, they will still be analysed when you browse them. Loading them will take a lot less time as well.

Karlo.

Posted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 4:13 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Example ...
Your laptop recognizes your USB HD as E:
Another PC recognizes as F:

If this happens you analyze on PC and the database has path like F:Musicmplampla
You plug then on Laptop and it can not find the path it need the path E:Musicmplampla

Solution

Make a .bat file using Notepad with the following command

subst f: e:

Save this file in the c:...ProgramsStart menu , so each time your laptops boots it will make a "Virtual" Disk with the initial F: (Like a mirror of E:)

Note if you do that then you might have problem , if you DO have a disk or another USB device with the initial you chose. That means you have to be carefull how to choose the right letters. It might also work if you do the opposite, meaning you could put the .bat file to the PC Start Folder. It deppends on the drive letters you use.

Hope you understood me. Poor english ..sorry

Posted Fri 30 Jun 06 @ 11:42 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
For searching you need the same path or do a fast rescan, which is faster in this case. For Bpm's and other information it doesn't matter, if you have them anylized once it will preserve that info even if the files are on the different drive, just don't change file size or ID tag's. You can rename files and it will preserve info also. Hope this helps.

Posted Sat 01 Jul 06 @ 7:49 am
Thanks guys,

Your help is appreciated, I’ve found another solution when using 2/3 different PC’s I’ve reinstalled VDJ again first time used on another PC on the USB-HDD same directory and a shortcut (VDJ-exe) is added automatically to the PC I use, so every time I swap PC I don’t need to do anything anymore.

DJJANP.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 06 @ 12:04 pm
You mean the software is installed on the external HD??? And there is just a shortcut on your other PC's?? Thats a pretty darn good idea, except if the HD takes a crap, then what?? I am going to have to try that out. Thanks Cheers Brian.

Posted Thu 06 Jul 06 @ 9:59 pm
Yep VDJ installed on the USB-HD works great, only on some PC’s you need to install VDJ again one time (on the same USB-HDD same directory) and then it works ok all the time . I guess this is because windows needs some files in the registry when the HDD is renamed ex. E to F.
But ones this is done you can go with your HDD to all the PC’s and the shortcut on your desktop does the trick. 
And yes the HDD could crash, but same thing could happen with an internal one.

Djjanp

Posted Mon 10 Jul 06 @ 3:50 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Great idea. Just wish BPM's could be written to the MP3 or video files or ID3 tags then this really wouldn't matter for me, I don't want to type the BPM's in manually for about 3000 songs (also they arn't exact as virtual Dj has worked them out, so I don't want them written in stone as it were).

Isn't there a website that tells you the actual BPM of a song?

Posted Fri 04 Aug 06 @ 2:49 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)